Please give missiles back

54 Draenei Paladin
missiles being removed from frost/fire really made no sense at all =\
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
Sharki, unless you're talking about something that literally does not touch PvE in any way, you are always talking about PvE, whether or not you mean to.

I understand, but as Buglamp said, untalented, unprocced arc missles really do fall into that category. There's no way you'd ever use arc missles as frost in a PVE setting. Its inefficient and low damage. The only application for a frost mage is dealing with LoS.

And it might, just might, be that they weren't particularly interested in supporting the use of an ability to violate LOS rules.

That's certainly possible, though other class mechanics seem to imply otherwise (read drain life). If it was removed specifically to prevent mages (one of the weakest classes against someone LoSing) from dealing with LoS, I'd really question that rationale.

More likely in my mind, it was changed to the spec-specific proc without even considering mages that used it for the LoSing capability. I'd encourage any dev reading to take another look and consider adding it back. That, or be more consistent with their stance regarding channeling and LoS.
Reply Quote
it was changed to the spec-specific proc without even considering mages that used it for the LoSing capability.

This is my guess as well lol.
Reply Quote
I didn't say they were deliberately trying to prevent it from violating LOS rules. I said they probably had no interest in supporting its use for such a purpose. Meaning that it's unlikely that they would give much consideration to the effect on that use when making changes that they felt would improve the leveling experience (which is one type of PvE).

How does leaving missiles unchanged other than allowing them to be cast by frost and fire affect the leveling experience?

As for having no interest in supporting it's use for such a purpose, they really should pick a stance on it and adjust other spells accordingly if they disapprove of channeled spells being used to damage targets heading for LoS.
Reply Quote
- World of Warcraft
90 Human Mage
I didn't say they were deliberately trying to prevent it from violating LOS rules. I said they probably had no interest in supporting its use for such a purpose. Meaning that it's unlikely that they would give much consideration to the effect on that use when making changes that they felt would improve the leveling experience (which is one type of PvE).

How does leaving missiles unchanged other than allowing them to be cast by frost and fire affect the leveling experience?

If you mean it would still be a proc, and simply wouldn't be removed by Hot Streak and Brain Freeze, then that would be fine for the leveling experience. The only problem that would leave is that, when the spell was still castable by Fire and Frost in early beta, it was insanely annoying to have the proc up all the freakin' time, setting off its audible and visual alert, when you had no interest in it whatsoever. We complained about this quite a bit. It could be fixed by allowing us to disable specific alerts, rather than having an all-or-none alert system (that was actually the fix we requested).

As for having no interest in supporting it's use for such a purpose, they really should pick a stance on it and adjust other spells accordingly if they disapprove of channeled spells being used to damage targets heading for LoS.

I imagine they just consider the spell's LOS properties to be irrelevant to their decision-making process.

Of course, it's also possible that they actually don't feel Frost and Fire an LOS-ignoring spell, and that the drainy specs do. After all, while it seems most reasonable people don't feel Frost is overpowered at 85, nobody's really arguing that it's underpowered, either. Could be that's just not a tool Frost needs anymore, or that adding it would require nerfing something else that would be problematic.
Reply Quote
I think you're overestimating how strong missiles was.

It can be a game breaker, but it's not going to cause balance issues. It's the difference between your target getting away @ ~10% health around a pillar or dying. It's not something that would matter in most matches, but gives mages who use it right a small edge over those that don't.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]