Healing Spec(ulation)

60 Dwarf Paladin
I'd like to try to level a character all the way to 85 without dealing a single point of damage. I don't know if this is viable as I've never gotten a healer past 60, and at that point, I was dealing damage when and where I could. I'm also not much of a raider and don't know much about the jobs healers are expected to do - other than keeping the raid alive of course - but even in the level 80 5-mans, it "looks" possible to heal without dealing any damage, which is why I'm interested in trying.

Is this just another "don't do it" idea, or is it possible without hurting the groups I'm with?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
How do you plan to get to a high enough level to que dungeons?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
You can do randoms from level 15. What I don't understand is why you wouldn't do damage, in a 5 man most tanks don't really take that much damage so you might as well throw some damage out there when you don't have to heal and judgements heal people too.
Reply Quote
60 Dwarf Paladin
Did it before. Tag along with new players, heal them as we quest. On a RP server I can even justify it :)

I gave up after level 24 - broke down and just started blowing spells on Arugal when my party was all but toast. Now we can level in BGs too, though. Less chance to get bored.
Reply Quote
60 Dwarf Paladin
You can do randoms from level 15. What I don't understand is why you wouldn't do damage, in a 5 man most tanks don't really take that much damage so you might as well throw some damage out there when you don't have to heal and judgements heal people too.

I actually just want to do it because I'm "that guy" who wants to say that they did it. I just don't want to do it if everyone I random queue with goes "oh no, it's the dude who doesn't play his class right". I'd rather just play the class properly if that's the case. However, if dungeons and raids just take a little longer, then I'm good seeing if I can't try to pull this off.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Pacifist runs have always fascinated me.

I suppose you could get to 15 via gathering professions, so you can queue..?

I heal all the time without dealing damage when I'm feeling lazy, you can easily chain-queue instances as a healer from 15-80 without ever dealing damage.

I highly doubt you'll ever run into people who will tell you to try and DPS as the healer.

Edit: I dunno exactly what you mean by 'dealing damage' though, if a Paladin has Ret aura up, and an enemy hits you, I think it'd count as damage dealt by you. As well, watch out for instances with mind control.
Edited by Kyura on 11/28/2010 4:02 PM PST
Reply Quote
5 Night Elf Hunter
Edit: I dunno exactly what you mean by 'dealing damage' though, if a Paladin has Ret aura up, and an enemy hits you, I think it'd count as damage dealt by you. As well, watch out for instances with mind control.

Never considered that. That would show up on me as "damage dealt". Must find a way to be a better pacifist.

edit - Brade btw
Edited by Taerindel on 11/29/2010 12:32 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
I don't see how this would work on a paladin as you'll need to continuously cast Judgment to keep your haste buff (Judgments of the Pure) up.

Resto shamans also benefit from using their Shock spells (Focused Insight) so you'd really be selling yourself short if you didn't use them. I've heard great things about Telluric Currents as well.

Disc priests have several talents built around Smite that benefit healing done and return mana. I have spec'ed out of those talents for the remainder of WotLK but I wouldn't discount Evangelism as a viable PvE tool just yet.

A holy priest would have been a good choice before but Holy Nova is actually very useful post-patch. If you can lay off that button you'd be able to pull it off but in certain situations Holy Nova is actually a godsend.

I have never played a resto druid past 30 and I don't know heaps about them- but at this point I'd say a resto druid would be your best bet.
Edited by Cassini on 11/29/2010 2:04 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]