Healers and their mana after the fight...

85 Night Elf Druid
There's something that has bothered me about playing a healer for quite some time. Honeymint tea and all it's underlings, and the sure to be more expensive version that is coming.

You are warning us about the Cata changes. The tanks and healers are the ones that are REALLY paying attention because we are the ones that will be paying the price when things go badly. Nevermind the DPS that is on the wrong target, the healer that is out of mana, or the tank that is pulling already and not giving us a chance to get full (PUG reference I know, but it's a problem.) These are real problems.

The Warlock. Well he just runs around nilly willy in the random dungeon blasting mobs giggling like a schoolgirl. When he's low on mana? Well he just kills himself and expects me to heal him up. He gets free mana for days at the price of me healing him. Have you ever seen a Warlock actually say thank you for this? Have you ever seen one stop and drink as I must after a tough fight? Hardly ever, they just expect it. Now pre-cata this is hardly ever an issue.

That had better change....

What does a Hunter need to constantly consume in a random dungeon to keep themselves going?

Nothing.

What does a Warlock need to consume to keep themselves going?

Nothing.

Roges get poisons that last a DAMN long time, are are very cheap. Everything else they need I provide.

Are you getting my point yet?

Call this a QQ on my behalf about healers having to drink after a fight, but come on, it isn't fair. Why do I need to go through hundreds of drink every few days to keep the GROUP going. That's an expense that I MUST pay to keep the group going. I must buy mana pots, that are hardly even worth the gold that they cost, just for that rare occasion that a fight goes REALLY bad and I HAVE to get that little boost to get us through it. Did anyone volunteer to pay me for that? Yeah right... Give us the means to summon our own drink to keep us going, the same way mages do. It's only fair.

You want to change the way that we heal. Fine. I'm ok with that. But I am sick and tired of having to keep the innkeeper's 401k padded by buying his tea. And I really think it needs to be addressed. Not too many things bug me about healing, I enjoy it. I have 2 accounts, and I recently made this druid in case I didn't care for the way things went for my Resto Shaman. Thanks for reading, rant over.
Edited by Beáta on 11/29/2010 1:07 AM PST
Reply Quote
The smarter players will come with food to eat while you're busy drinking since it will make the runs go smoother. Hopefully the habit ends up expanding to all players, but I doubt it. I know that when I play my rogue, I'm not going to expect the healer to top me off after every fight. I'm gonna plop myself on the ground by the healer and munch on some yummies. If the healer was oom, it's a bit stupid to make them waste even more mana after they've just filled up again.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
But you're kind of making my point there aren't you. It isn't a benefit this looting to pay for our drink. It isn't a benefit for the tank to have to repair his durability damage.

I do play a DPS, I have an 80 Rogue that has pretty much the best I can get without a raiding guild, and I do pop on it now and then for the enjoyment of murdering stuff, but when I do that, I am always assisting, I am always using tricks of the trade, and I almost always finish a fight with my self heal ticking between fights.

The fact is, that the drinking, and the even further example of the tanking durability damage are rediculous expenses that could easily be done away with. They just aren't necessary.

They just aren't.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Early in an expansion, I use the combination of personal water consumption and time of run to determine how good the group was. It's well worth the couple gold for that information, especially while trying to compile a list of people on the server that are worth chain running with in the future. Tanks can use their repair bills for a good gauge of the group as well.

Raiding used to be really expensive (chain pots, double elixirs for every pull since the flasks sucked, drums, etc.) and somehow everyone managed just fine. And that was far better than vanilla where you had to farm BoPs for raids. I almost wish raiding still required massive gold expenditures just so the newer players would learn how to effectively make large amounts of gold every week. Water is so cheap it's a rounding error, so just try to find good uses for the information it provides.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
You have a point to be made, but it can be made without complaining about locks using intended class mechanics. You no longer have to heal a lock out of combat - he has an ability, which he should be using regularly for other reasons, which will heal him up completely.

On your main point, I do think it's kind of BS that healers are stuck buying stacks and stacks of drinks while everybody else has class mechanics that allow them to go on chain pulling forever. That being said, it's one of those problems that's easily solved by a guild or a network of friends - get a mage to summon you up a few stacks of food, and you're covered for the day's healing.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Stop whining about monopoly money.
Reply Quote
87 Human Warlock
If it's any consolation, I am working on first aid for Cata... although I hope it is better than it is now.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
Cooks can MAKE water and food that restores mana just like the vendor bought stuff, don't like paying for vendor bought water? Make some through cooking and you might even get the added benefit of a stat gain! Don't have your cooking up? Either find a friend that does, or start working on it now while there's very little to do. Or, as someone else said, make friends with a mage to summon you up some food each day, there are ways around buying drinks from vendors.
Reply Quote
75 Human Priest
I see your point about the drinks for mana.
Make sure to check if you have a mage in your group for free mana goodies.
Hang with tanks that know how to steady pull and let you finish drinking so you get your money worth of your mana drink. Much less cost that way, and IMO the dungeon goes better.

Only use low mana usage Hot's on the locks, and don't feel you need to top them off to 100%. If they want something past 90%, they know about drinks as well.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
you are lucky hunters no longer need ammo, though they still would be the most consumable heavy class in the game. but seriously water is a minor thing to be upset about, most good casters carry at least water and some dps have food, though most people just get mage food for free that does both. water is cheap anyway just loot on your run and water is a drop in the bucket compared to what you make.
Edited by Ryathal on 11/29/2010 7:40 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I see your point about the drinks for mana.
Make sure to check if you have a mage in your group for free mana goodies.
Hang with tanks that know how to steady pull and let you finish drinking so you get your money worth of your mana drink. Much less cost that way, and IMO the dungeon goes better.

Only use low mana usage Hot's on the locks, and don't feel you need to top them off to 100%. If they want something past 90%, they know about drinks as well.

Locks don't need food anymore. Or out-of-combat heals. We can lifetap down near empty and heal ourselves to full every 45 seconds, out of combat.
Reply Quote
80 Draenei Shaman
I still have tons of leftover Hallows' End candy that I plan to use.

Seriously, water and repair bills are what the Tanks and Healers have to deal with in exchange for insta-queues. Besides, I rarely have to BUY water since the enemies I fight usually drop plenty.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I'm far more worried about having water that quickly replenishes my mana bar rather than the slow sip we have now, as well as having to drink 2 waters to go from 0-100% mana. I assume they're going to put something like Kungaloosh into the game for Cat, and that was stupid cheap. Even if they don't, most mages are pretty great about handing out water, or the cost of water just isn't an issue. Like others mentioned, tanks are taking a higher number of hits thus losing more durability, thus having higher repair bills.

Of all the things to be concerned about, you're upset over THIS?
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
My main here is an alchemist who can make anything I need, and when a mage is in my group I just ask if they could spare me something.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
My healer (resto shaman) is an alchemist. One of the benefits of being an alchemist is a neverending mana potion. It's not useful in raid boss fights, but on trash and in 5-mans, it's incredible.

http://www.wowhead.com/item=43570

Hopefully there will be a Cataclysm equivalent, but assuming there is, alchemy will remain a very desirable profession for healers. Even if not, alchemists can make mana potions very cheaply, far more so than you can buy them.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
No this isn't a troll topic. My other concerns are already voiced very well in this forum.

I just think it's a bad mechanic. For one, the mana restoration will likely start out very fast with the new drinks I would guess, and by the time we are at the top will it be incredibad slow as it is now with Honeymint tea?

It's an annoyance. I am trolling no one here. It's just a stupid game mechanic.

The answers being talk to a mage first, or roll a profession, or this or that... Sure, those help.

It doesn't fix how lame and stupid it is... I guess it may help that everyone in the group that is a mana user is going to be in the same boat more or less. It's just a very stupid boat with an underpowered engine that's outdated.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
I kind of like the "OK that was a tough fight. Let's take a quick break and catch our breath before continuing" feel that drinking provides. Plus it teaches the impatient tank to not pull too much.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]