Healers and their mana after the fight...

85 Troll Druid
I hope that the fact that this thread's biggest concern is the fairness of drinking between fights is indicative of a lack of things to complain about regarding healing itself.

I have no problems with spending a little extra to get water. I have no problems with the time it takes. Tanks can have repair bills, healers can have water, and dps can have... longer queues? Whatever, without making everything exactly the same there will always be some minor imbalances.
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Priest
1. Hymn of hope
2. Shadowfiend
3. Innervate
4. Replenishment
5. Mage cookies
6. Divine Plea

Edited by Keiren on 11/29/2010 5:05 PM PST
Reply Quote
89 Dwarf Death Knight
I do wish they'd make healer out of combat regen super high or something. I can understand why they don't want healers spamming their strongest heals and not going oom during fights, but it kinda sucks when the healer is the only person in the group that ever has to drink. Cost aside, it's just kinda unfun to only give downtime to one role.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
Plus it teaches the impatient tank to not pull too much.

No, the impatient tank pulls, wipes the group, blames you for fail, ragequits, and then you get to stand around with three DPS who are left with the impression that you, as the healer, is the problem, because you dared to drink after a pull.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
#1 reason to have Cat form and Dash ready at all times? To catch up to the entire group after you HAD to sit and drink after a tough fight. You hit Dash to get there as fast as you can, because the Tank is already half dead.

Drinking is just bad gameplay according to everyone else.
Reply Quote
80 Troll Rogue
They removed the 5 second rule and should have made out of combat regen 5 times what is is right now.

That way, drinking was useful if you were doing hard content that actually hard OOMed you, rather than having to drink after every pull since you regen mana dirt slow.
Reply Quote
57 Undead Priest
I agree. Priests need something similar to conjure water.

If Blizzard could help eliminate downtime in Dungeons/Raids then the game would 'flow' and be a lot more enjoyable.

Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
They removed the 5 second rule and should have made out of combat regen 5 times what is is right now.

That way, drinking was useful if you were doing hard content that actually hard OOMed you, rather than having to drink after every pull since you regen mana dirt slow.

This is a great idea IMO. It doesn't change the mechanic that they are trying to add for Cataclysm (mana management), but it makes drinking less of a chore between pulls.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I kind of liked the idea of having a out of combat rest ability like they had in Age of Conan and probably other games rather than having to eat or drink to get health/mana back. High OOC regen would work too though. I don't think it would be an issue in PvP. If you let them get away you have to deal with the consequences. Regen is so low in PvP anyway it'd be nice if it was at least high OOC so we didn't have to drink or run to the resto huts as often after a fight (if we survived).

Healing 5 man heroics in beta I did notice that almost every single person waited for me to heal them up in-between pulls rather than deal with their own health. It actually started to annoy me after awhile, is it that hard to eat while I'm drinking?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
There's something that has bothered me about playing a healer for quite some time. Honeymint tea and all it's underlings, and the sure to be more expensive version that is coming.

You are warning us about the Cata changes. The tanks and healers are the ones that are REALLY paying attention because we are the ones that will be paying the price when things go badly. Nevermind the DPS that is on the wrong target, the healer that is out of mana, or the tank that is pulling already and not giving us a chance to get full (PUG reference I know, but it's a problem.) These are real problems.

The Warlock. Well he just runs around nilly willy in the random dungeon blasting mobs giggling like a schoolgirl. When he's low on mana? Well he just kills himself and expects me to heal him up. He gets free mana for days at the price of me healing him. Have you ever seen a Warlock actually say thank you for this? Have you ever seen one stop and drink as I must after a tough fight? Hardly ever, they just expect it. Now pre-cata this is hardly ever an issue.

That had better change....

What does a Hunter need to constantly consume in a random dungeon to keep themselves going?

Nothing.

What does a Warlock need to consume to keep themselves going?

Nothing.

Roges get poisons that last a DAMN long time, are are very cheap. Everything else they need I provide.

Are you getting my point yet?

Call this a QQ on my behalf about healers having to drink after a fight, but come on, it isn't fair. Why do I need to go through hundreds of drink every few days to keep the GROUP going. That's an expense that I MUST pay to keep the group going. I must buy mana pots, that are hardly even worth the gold that they cost, just for that rare occasion that a fight goes REALLY bad and I HAVE to get that little boost to get us through it. Did anyone volunteer to pay me for that? Yeah right... Give us the means to summon our own drink to keep us going, the same way mages do. It's only fair.

You want to change the way that we heal. Fine. I'm ok with that. But I am sick and tired of having to keep the innkeeper's 401k padded by buying his tea. And I really think it needs to be addressed. Not too many things bug me about healing, I enjoy it. I have 2 accounts, and I recently made this druid in case I didn't care for the way things went for my Resto Shaman. Thanks for reading, rant over.

Managing resources makes healer's fun to play, at least in my opinion.

I am sorry if facerolling is no longer an option.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warlock

Locks don't need food anymore. Or out-of-combat heals. We can lifetap down near empty and heal ourselves to full every 45 seconds, out of combat.

This. Once combat is over I can LT and heal myself just fine with Soul Harvest. Not to mention I also have fel armor. You don't need to heal me at all.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin

While it's true warlocks can potentially deal with their own health between pulls, that's true of every single class and every single person when you consider they could all have food. That doesn't mean they'll use it.

Not all warlocks are even that considerate really. I think you'll still find warlocks in cata that don't soul harvest or eat to heal themselves up after life tapping OOC. Yes they're bad, but so are all the other people waiting on the healer. We'll probably just have to get to a point where we refuse to heal people OOC for awhile just so they start taking a hint and deal with it themselves.

It wasn't as much of an issue in pre-made epics since I wasn't running OOM anyway, but when we first get to 85 and we're in pre-heroic blues healing heroics, I don't want to deal with all your OOC crap and then have to still deal with mine (drinking) afterward.
Reply Quote
66 Undead Priest
I don't top off DPS if I am low on mana, they can bandage or eat or whatever else. And if you have to drink after every pull, then either your groupmates aren't doing their jobs right, the group is severely undergeared or underlevel, or you need to use more mana efficient heals. Mana maintenance is part of playing a healer and drinking breaks here and there are nice to actually have a chance to be social for 10 seconds before some more crazy pulls.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
I'm sorry, I don't buy your point as valid.

If you run out of mana after a fight and you can't tell the tank to to wait for just a few seconds before pulling then gear for it. If they don't wait - let them die. State that you need to drink, and then res. If you are too cheap(or too offended at the notion of drinking) then gear around it.

What do healers really need?
Spirit - enough to get us through the toughest fights. and enough so that by the time people are done looting I'm ready for a regular fight.
Int - to make our spells strong. But we don't need to go overboard, afterall the excess is wasted.
Haste - is this even in now?
Stam - to make our own jobs easier. But we don't need much if the tank is doing their job right.

If you can't communicate to your party that you need to drink, or if they don't listen, or you refuse not to gear for it, or you don't bother with drinking then what are you doing to solve the issue(other than posting)? I routinely(except when raiding) barely use 3/4ths my mana. Often times I'm the one pulling extra mobs to the tank so I have something to do while the DPS kill.

You can solve your issue if you just give it a little TLC.
Edited by Sibboleth on 11/30/2010 1:42 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
I don't top off DPS if I am low on mana, they can bandage or eat or whatever else. And if you have to drink after every pull, then either your groupmates aren't doing their jobs right, the group is severely undergeared or underlevel, or you need to use more mana efficient heals. Mana maintenance is part of playing a healer and drinking breaks here and there are nice to actually have a chance to be social for 10 seconds before some more crazy pulls.

Ye has spoken truth!
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
Managing resources makes healer's fun to play, at least in my opinion.

I am sorry if facerolling is no longer an option.

He's talking about out of combat, after a fight.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
The ability to pay gold to have something to drink, and the requirement that you stock up on the best drinks is an iconic feature of [insert healing class/spec here]. This added flavor makes healing more interesting and distinguishes if from other, less interesting roles.

Yeah, i got nothing.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
We'll see in Cata, but I'm sorry, when was the last time you -had to- drink in the last year?
Only times I do is at the beginning of a LFD run if I was questing as ele and have depleted on a spec switch upon entering.

In raids you get mage water, and if you're in a city ANY mage will give you a stack if they are around.
Not to mention just questing around and doing dailies will yield 2 to 5 teas every 30-45 mins, plenty to go by for a day or two.

Sorry, but moot point imo.
Reply Quote
83 Blood Elf Paladin
My plan as a healer in Cata, depending on how harsh 5 mans are going to be on my mana is to ensure the tank and myself are fully healed after a pull, if the fight was mana intensive the DPS can sit and eat. I don't find it efficient to finish healing, drink heal some more, drink then go on to the next pull.

If they have any complaints I'll direct them towards the nearest First Aid trainer.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Too many of you are missing my point, or not even bothering to read what I said.

A lot of it boils down to inconsiderate people. I am pretty sure Cata isn't going to fix that.

I plan on making a macro, that right up front before pulls says something to the effect that after the fights, I will be sitting to drink. Because it's awesome, and is a class defining feature. If you don't want to wait for me, cool, heal yourself.

It's just a stupid mechanic.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]