Healers and their mana after the fight...

85 Draenei Priest
New water is out... restores 45000 mana @ 80. Get 5 of them for a little over a gold. So now we are back to sitting for a 3 to 5 seconds to top off mana. Woot!
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
Too many of you are missing my point, or not even bothering to read what I said.

A lot of it boils down to inconsiderate people. I am pretty sure Cata isn't going to fix that.

I plan on making a macro, that right up front before pulls says something to the effect that after the fights, I will be sitting to drink. Because it's awesome, and is a class defining feature. If you don't want to wait for me, cool, heal yourself.

It's just a stupid mechanic.

Maybe it wasn't well formed then. I read it, as I read all the replies, before posting, and it seemed clear that you resented us being the only class that -has to- do something that consumes gold between fights, while other classes (including class by class examples) don't.

That probably took away from your point if it was a complaint about people "draining your mana" through irresponsible playstyles. If your point is that though, just append to one of the 5 million threads complaining about locks hurting themselves between pulls like emo kids with a razorblade, or people not bandaging :)
Edited by Hoofnpuff on 12/1/2010 2:26 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I think Blizzhave made it too easy already.
I think hunters should still require ammo just as a tank needs to repair his armor.

Mana users should have to replenish their mana by drinking or pots.

Soon we wont need to do any thing other than turn up.

These things are part of our chosen classes and we shouldnt stress over it, indulge init it is what makes our classes unique.

I really think it is lame hunters dont need ammo lets not go further down this path, welcome to hello kitty world.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I was trying to avoid posting on this but when I saw the response about "people not getting it" I felt a twitch in my eye.

1. No, Cata will not "fix" this issue - it's going to make it worse. Everything in Cata is going to be hard at first - very very few people know what to expect in the dungeons / quests / raids etc. Take it from a beta player... you're going to struggle even more in Cata content than in Wrath heroics.

2. You, sir or ma'am, will be having to drink between 2 mobs you kill for a quest I'm guessing. Yes, a QUEST. Not even a dungeon pull. EVERYTHING get's harder. More HP pools on mobs, larger mana costs of spells. It's going to be a struggle. So get ready to "waste" say 5 gold a day just to keep yourself questing. (Which btw, I'm SURE you'll get more back from ONE quest... QQ?)

3. I think YOU'RE missing the point. Blizzard doesn't want us to "mindlessly spam X heal" they want us to THINK about the damage that's coming, THINK about our mana pool, THINK about what's coming next. It's a whole new style of healing. (Well new to most save vanilla players). You are going to have to drink between pulls - I did in beta, others I know with the same level of gear did too. We have to be a healthy balance of proactive and reactive.. which means, yes, we will probably wipe, and often. But you have to have patience and work WITH your group to figure how to get thru something. Pay attention to the spells mobs are casting, damage your dps are taking. Be prepared to cast a long, big heal before the damage comes so you aren't struggling to heal a dps AND a tank.

Here's a 'guide' that MMO posted:http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/795945-What-Wrath-players-need-to-know-to-not-suck-at-Cata!

It's mostly common sense but I feel everyone should read it as a reminder that we aren't in Wrath anymore. Cata is a whole new ball game and the rules have changed.

PS- Should look into your choices of gems before you start doing too much Cata content (heroics/raids).
Edited by Ellysia on 12/2/2010 7:21 AM PST
Reply Quote
60 Human Priest

Managing resources makes healer's fun to play, at least in my opinion.

I am sorry if facerolling is no longer an option.

Drinking is not managing resources. Drinking is sitting around doing nothing after the part of the encounter that involves actual effort is over.

Not going OOM during the fight and causing a wipe is managing resources. Having to sit for a full 30 second drink of water because water does not replenish your mana at a reasonable speed in these days of everybody stacking 8 million Intellect is not. Having to sit for more than one full 30 second drink of water most especially is not.
Reply Quote
Being slow at mana recovery has caused some problems with fast groups.

Only two ways about it...
Tanks/dps will QQ because they see it's not our fault, and Blizz will respond to them

OR - Healers keep QQing and Blizzard keeps ignoring the problem.

Either way, healers pointing out the problem will not solve anything. Get on you 80 alt non-healer toons and advocate for change on behalf of the healer -you.

/healer
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Thats the power healers have. In a good run the healer, not the tank, is in charge of the pace. You sit and drink and the tank stops and the dps just stands their and waits for you.

It's also, as someone said, a nice relflection time in hard instances. Sit and drink for 15 seconds and think about who almost just died what you should do differently in this next pull. Its a moment of zen and the entire 5 man waits for you.
Edited by Namika on 12/2/2010 6:03 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Plus it teaches the impatient tank to not pull too much.

No, the impatient tank pulls, wipes the group, blames you for fail, ragequits, and then you get to stand around with three DPS who are left with the impression that you, as the healer, is the problem, because you dared to drink after a pull.

Screw 'em if they don't know any better.

Better yet, educate them, or get your laughs at their inanity.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Stop whining about monopoly money.

L
O
L
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
I don't seem to have any mana issues at all. Mind you, all I mostly do is play heroics. I might take a sip once a dungeon, sometimes not at all. I'm not burning through pots and nobody is dying. I do use an Alchemy item that works as a mana pot but its not too powerfull. Plus my trinket that adds potency to my potions/elixirs. Maybe thats why I have no probs...
Maybe you are overhealing and wasting too much of your mana.
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
If you have a good guild they should stock drinks and potions for heals in the guild bank. My guild is very awesome about keeping food and drink stocked in our GB, maybe bring it up to your guild? I do agree though, it would be nice if we could all conjure some mana struedel or something.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Prepare to become FAT healers if you eat Mage food or prepare to go to the bathroom if you drink lots of water to get through a run in Cataclysm.

With new starter 85 gear I can see us having to drink before group pulls just like when I started in my greens and blues as I hit 80 in WOTLK. If you want a faster way to do this become an alchemist as you will have access hopefully to Endless Mana Potion of some new sort.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
12/02/2010 9:26 AMPosted by Tenar
Drinking is not managing resources. Drinking is sitting around doing nothing after the part of the encounter that involves actual effort is over.Not going OOM during the fight and causing a wipe is managing resources. Having to sit for a full 30 second drink of water because water does not replenish your mana at a reasonable speed in these days of everybody stacking 8 million Intellect is not. Having to sit for more than one full 30 second drink of water most especially is not.

Exactly this.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
11/29/2010 1:07 AMPosted by Beáta
The Warlock. Well he just runs around nilly willy in the random dungeon blasting mobs giggling like a schoolgirl. When he's low on mana? Well he just kills himself and expects me to heal him up. He gets free mana for days at the price of me healing him. Have you ever seen a Warlock actually say thank you for this? Have you ever seen one stop and drink as I must after a tough fight? Hardly ever, they just expect it. Now pre-cata this is hardly ever an issue.

Yeah, basically warlocks get to exchange their mana for yours. In a way, shadow priests who hit SW:D too early get to as well. But it's really not that big of a deal. On the flip side, think of it this way: the faster the mobs die the quicker you can get out of combat and start regenerating mana faster.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Drinking is not managing resources. Drinking is sitting around doing nothing after the part of the encounter that involves actual effort is over.

I call bull%@!@.

Managing resources well will minimize the time you have to drink, but time and money are also resources, just like mana, and sometimes you have to trade among them.

Not going OOM during the fight and causing a wipe is managing resources. Having to sit for a full 30 second drink of water because water does not replenish your mana at a reasonable speed in these days of everybody stacking 8 million Intellect is not. Having to sit for more than one full 30 second drink of water most especially is not.

(Troll says: Oh god, thirty seconds, I'll be OLD...)

It's a combination of gear, spec, class, and play style. My mana almost never runs out, especially if I have a really good tank, but if I NEVER had to take a break I'd say the game was broken. If I had to break after every fight, maybe my gear/spec/play style combination is broken, and I should consider reconfiguring. Not everyone is running out of mana. Try another configuration. THAT's resource management.

(Officially done trolling now. :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]