Need some FoKing advice! =D

85 Undead Rogue
Hey guys, new 80 here. I run a Mut Assassination build for PvE, and have my single-target rotation down pat. However, since hitting 80 and getting FoK, I'm not really quite sure what to do with it.

I've asked around on my server, and it seems that everyone has a different opinion. Is there a "right way" to use it? I read somewhere that some folks Garrote, then Evenom, and then spam FoK in a multi-target situation. I've also heard of some people using Ruptures to keep energy up for FoK spam. There also seems to be some disagreement on how many targets (minimum) to use FoK on. Some say 3, some 4-5.

So my questions are:

1) How many targets need to be present for FoK to be efficient? At what number should I stop using it?

2) What sort of rotation do you guys use with FoK?

Thanks in advance!
Reply Quote
100 Undead Rogue
If 3+ mobs, get snd up, then spam Fok until there's 2 or less mobs, then single target dps.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
If 3+ mobs, get snd up, then spam Fok until there's 2 or less mobs, then single target dps.

Same thing I do. Open with garrote>SnD>FoK spam. Make a macro to the effect of:

/startattack
/cast Fan of Knives

You want to auto-attack a target while FoKing.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
Thanks guys, I'll try it out tonight after I finish this research paper due by midnight. XD Don't professors understand that this crap really cuts into my WoW time?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Rogue

/startattack
/cast Fan of Knives

You want to auto-attack a target while FoKing.

This all you need for trash pulls of 4 or more mobs. When you get to 3, switch to single target. Ruptures, Garrote, SnD, all that crap is wasted on during a 20 second trash pull.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
Fan of Knives and the general AoE theory can differ depending on play style. I have tried out 2 different combination for an AoE and I'll use one of my latest examples.

With the new talent trees including Venomous Wounds and the usage of Rupture, I decided when I entered halls of reflection heroic while helping a friend gear, I was going to initally each pull, Tricks the tank, garrote the enemy that needs to die fastest which in most cases in the priest, do a quick 2 combo point rupture on each mob and then revert to Fan of Knives casting as much as possible.

I then compared to just fan of knives with Slice and Dice. I found that my dps while applying rupture was almost 8K dps higher. Each trash pull during many different instances, raids, etc were multiple mob pulls was necessary, I was pulling.. on average about 20K dps. Obviously in Icecrown Citadel Raid Zone it was higher, and keep in mind the more mobs their are the higher the dps.

Hope that helps.

So you spend time establishing combo points on multiple targets to get up rupture BEFORE starting FoK spam? Strange idea. If the mobs die too fast, you've wasted a TON of time and dps. However, if they live a while, I'm guessing the energy regeneration from rupture makes up for the lost time by then being able to spam more FoKs.

I'll have to give this a shot.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
It was 3targets back in ulduar when fok was hitting for 5.5k, there's no way the switch to AOE is at only 3 mobs now.

My guess would be 4-5.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
Interestingly enough, I tried Krypto's multi-Rupture method last night and it does in fact seem to increase my DPS. I encourage you guys to try it!
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
another inportant note is Poison selection.

if the mobs are going to bup less than 10 second or so, use instant. if they are going to be up longer use deadly.

If you get a big pull of mobs with alot of HP you can get some pretty insane DPS going with deadly as it will start to stack on a bunch of mobs.

I hit close to 27K in ICC on the first pull at the stairs, dont know how many damed we pulled but i popped tricks and started FoKing and it was pretty amazing.
Edited by Ipokeyou on 12/1/2010 10:07 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
another inportant note is Poison selection.

if the mobs are going to bup less than 10 second or so, use instant. if they are going to be up longer use deadly.

If you get a big pull of mobs with alot of HP you can get some pretty insane DPS going with deadly as it will start to stack on a bunch of mobs.

I hit close to 27K in ICC on the first pull at the stairs, dont know how many damed we pulled but i popped tricks and started FoKing and it was pretty amazing.

sad to think that an equally geared mage, even though deadly is ticking on those mobs and say your doing 25-30k dps, that mage is doing 35-40k. And its funny, locks got hit the hardest for caster nerfs, and all you see on world of logs is mages in the top 10 (mostly)
Edited by Silentmyst on 12/1/2010 12:05 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
Use FOK to break people out of stealth/invis

who the hell PvEs, anyway?
Edited by Rokzi on 12/1/2010 12:07 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]