Oh, to be a hybrid!

85 Dwarf Priest
Prior to Cataclysm, I've always played my priests as a hybrid of all three talent trees. Yeah, I know. Weird. It's something I actually plan on doing with this dwarf...

*steps on soapbox* As a future 31/3/7 Disc/Holy DPSer, I hope to achieve two things, at least! I hope to spread the encouragement of hybrid thought and discipline! ((See what I did, thar?)) And what I mean by that is that I honestly want to see more risks taken to get that one CC spell which would make a group better, or the willingness to allow damage output to suffer in order to swing-heal or control combat situations with fluidity.

Second, I would like to make known the fact that someone with a varied assortment of skills can fit into a group much easier than previously thought. There's so much pressure out there to be the best of the best. My thoughts on that? Well! Leave that to the pure classes! Us potential hybrids have other roles to play! Take my build for example: I want to put my emphasis on damage and CC. (http://www.wowarmory.com/talent-calc.xml?cid=5&tal=233210001213220312201003000000000000000000302000200000000000000)
I believe I can be more help as part of a team, not a superstar. I know I won't put out top DPS.

I realize that this is one of the things that Blizzard intended to do with Cataclysm. They want uniqueness. They want to see the most amazing synergistic groups fighting in the new raids, striking down Deathwing!

But what I truly want to see with damage dealers is the ability to adapt to nearly any situation thrown at us! To find all of our strengths and use them, without public outcry as to how we might use those strengths.

*steps down from soapbox*

(Oh and I've been confused as to how the tree-specific abilities play out. If I were to go into all three trees, would that mean I would get Penance, Chastise, and Mind Flay? Or simply just Penance? What about the passive abilities?
Thanks! :] )
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
Uh, you only get the ability for the tree you choose as your primary (the one you dump 31 points into). So you get Mind Flay, Penance, or Chastise. There's no way to get 2 or 3 of those abilities at once. Likewise, you only get the passive ability of your primary tree.

A Holy/Disc dps build is not meant to put out any sort of real dps.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Priest
Thanks for the information =)

Unfortunately, if you did read my post, you'd realize that DPS is not my main concern.
Though I've been able to put out plenty of DPS in other patches, I have yet to try it out in Cataclysm.

I'm very thankful for your concrete detail and analysis, all the same!
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Priest
Well said, well said! XD

I think it's time we expressed individuality around here... >_>

I wish they hadn't made specializations though, it kind of sucks to not switch between trees while leveling. It seems as though Blizzard just put the specializations in to keep new players in-the-know. Eh, I could be wrong of course..
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
Thanks for the information =)

Unfortunately, if you did read my post, you'd realize that DPS is not my main concern.
Though I've been able to put out plenty of DPS in other patches, I have yet to try it out in Cataclysm.

I'm very thankful for your concrete detail and analysis, all the same!

I read it. If dps is not your main concern, then why did you type "what I want to see with damage dealers is..."

Holy and Disc are not damage dealers, by definition.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Priest
All hybrids are very much encouraged to deal damage, and I think it's a great idea how Blizzard has given talents to help encourage that. I'd find some blue posts if you really wanted some. But, honestly, I deal damage. What I was attempting to get at was how a lot of people assume others to be set in a specific role, which I think is inefficient.

On the flipside, I'd rather be a DPS being tempted to heal and be combat control, which we're going to see more use of in Cataclysm.

Once I get to 80 I could let you know how much damage I do, but I wouldn't be geared. And THEN Cata would come out (if not while on my way to 80). Well, technically, I could get on my other priest but I've gotten bored of her, and she's not geared either. xD lol

I do understand your point, however. I don't have much solid information to provide as to how much I do and how effective I am.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Priest
A Holy/Disc dps build is not meant to put out any sort of real dps.

-"Priests

Smite's scaling coefficient has been increased. The damage of Smite is now very similar to Heal in value. This change has been made to ensure the Archangel Discipline sub-specialization remains viable."

Source: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/1232869

"The Blizzard definition of hybrid in this context has nothing to do with whether you can perform multiple roles within a single fight or even within a single raid. It has more to do with the potential for your class to ever fulfill more than one role."

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=20677330431&sid=1
(^ Even though I do intend on doing both damage and healing as needed xP)

Just sayin'.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]