Range VS Melee in Cata in detail per boss.

85 Tauren Paladin
From my understanding ALOT of the boss fights in this expansion are very range orientated, leaving melee to either pull the same amoutn of DMG in half the time or less. Below are some of my point of view on the boss fights from Heroic Lost City of the Tol'vir with a video to each boss with thank you to the Yoggcast who made these videos! Please let me know your thoughts im not trying to troll im not trying to start an argument I am simply just voicing my opinion and hopefully I might have missed something.

General Husan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNotbJvtmpQ&feature=sub

This boss requires to be in the right spot at a specific time. Which mean while I am following the boss around I can DPS but lets say there is no room near the side or back of the boss for me to stand I will have to move away from the bombs or the gas to then stay save and live the fight and have to then stop DPS. Unlike range they can move to a safe spot and continue to DPS therfor I ask you why would you take even one melee DPS? You wouldnt you would rather take 3 range DPS. Lets move on down the list.

Lockmaw and Augh
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjLuzdSPHyg&feature=sub

These bosses the first phase not too phase it seems pretty simple and straight forward. When it comes to Augh once again the melee have to move or stay away from the boss due to a mechanic and the range get to stay there and DPS and only move if the whirlwind is coming your way but the transition from phase 1 to 2 the range have enough time to move from minimal range to max range and still be in range of healer + boss.

High Prophet Barim
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GgWaUhU6-g&feature=sub

Once again first phase pretty straight foward not too much either way plane tank + spank boss while avoiding the add. BUT come the second phase and your in the shadow world and trying to avoide your "shadow" from getting to the pheonix how are melee meant to avoid this when we are standing right next to it? So I ask you again WHY take a melee DPs class?

Siamat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmNowZ73_gA&feature=sub

So in this boss the range spread out, usuall strat. Lets say you have two melee ret pally and oh lets say a rogue. During the add phase while the bubble is up your going to be eating chain lighting from the adds which is ALOT of dmg and this boss is probably one of the single hardest ones to heal.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Rogue
5 man balance is important.

And one specific 5 man is indicative of all fights in cataclysm w/r/t DPS time on target and survivability concerns for Ranged/Melee DPS.
Edited by Feist on 11/29/2010 11:29 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
You saying pve encounters favor ranged are like me saying rogues wont see pve buffs for pvp reasons.

DUH
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
5 man balance is important.

And one specific 5 man is indicative of all fights in cataclysm w/r/t DPS time on target and survivability concerns for Ranged/Melee DPS.

You expect me to go over every boss fight I can get my hands on? I chose a random heroic and done it upon that.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock

You expect me to go over every boss fight I can get my hands on? I chose a random heroic and done it upon that.

When you make grand general statements like "From my understanding ALOT of the boss fights in this expansion are very range orientated, leaving melee to either pull the same amoutn of DMG in half the time or less.", yes, going over more than one instance would be expected.

But more to the point, no one cares about 5 man balance. You aren't going to get vote kicked out of a LFD pug or denied entry to your friend's guild.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
5 man dungeons aren't a very good way to prove your point.

Going over some of the raids would've been a better. For example:

Maloriak heroic slime puddles stacking in melee.

Toxitron slimes targeting melee.

Archamedes having a phase where melee jump around and wait for the air phase to end.

Cho'Gall having adds which do a PBAOE (interruptable at least) and slimes which have to be avoided/killed asap yet can aggro onto melee.

Halfus doing a whirlwind in the final phase.

Pretty much everything about the ascendant council just screams "stack ranged" - far too many points about this fight which favor ranged.

Admittedly most of these things are just annoyances. However, they really need to get rid of the adds that you need to GTFAway from, yet can also target melee. Stacked voidzones in melee should be dumped. Anti-melee mechanics at critical moments in the fight, or at least ones with a tight enrage should be dumped. Hit boxes the size of a nickel are also a huge annoyance.
Edited by Marliene on 11/29/2010 11:49 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
Stacking ranged is much easier and much more rewarding?

Yeah gj noticing it 5 years late.

Actually 6 if you ahve logged in recently.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin

I chose 5 mans as alot of people wont be raiding within the first week or two.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Rogue
@Marliene
Don't forget Magmaw and the 50k dps fire puddles that get dropped on the adds that you have to kill!
Edited by Pinch on 11/29/2010 11:59 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Rogue

I chose 5 mans as alot of people wont be raiding within the first week or two.

and a week or two after that, those seem people won't give a *@%# about 5 mans.

I'm not going to get vote kicked from any 5 man, ever, just for being a Rogue.

If I am, the people doing the kicking need to remove themselves from the gene pool, ASAP.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
I still don't understand why people care so much about heroic dungeons.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]