For the soccer/football fans...

85 Undead Rogue
Who here saw Barcelona vs Real Madrid?
Edited by Gully on 12/1/2010 12:16 AM PST
Reply Quote
76 Blood Elf Paladin
*holds hand up* great game!... and its called Football.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Can anyone say dominated? go Barca!
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
I call it football but everytime I have a conversation with Americans it gets turned into a discussion about football/soccer. So I didn't want the same to happen again :p

Some footage of the game... (sorry for the dutch comentary)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClkEp77hGbo
Edited by Gully on 11/30/2010 12:32 PM PST
Reply Quote
(sorry for the dutch comentary)

Wat? Dis 'ere's Amerika an we speek Engleash jus' like Jesus did.

<3

I couldn't watch it live. I DO have a Barca flag. It should have been hanging yesterday but I'm waiting for good weather to dry out my Seattle Sounders FC flag so I can put it away for the next season. ;-)

-M-
Reply Quote
70 Undead Priest
Not a great game, considering the match up. Love the parity in EPL this year, makes it much more interesting.

The big news in soccer arrives in two days, if they pick England, I'll go. If they pick Russia, I won't.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
How can you say that it wasn't a great game?

It had the 2 of the best teams in the world with a lot of emotions, expectations and different views on how to approach football. One team fulfilled the expectations more then expected and the other team simply couldn't.

6 days before el classico Real Madrid humiliated Ajax in the same way they got humiliated. It's awesome to see such a cocky team get a taste of their own medicine.

Ramos and Casillas were fantastic to watch, both already gave up after the 1-0 and it got worse by each goal.
Reply Quote
70 Undead Priest
Real was sloppy and terrible. Not that I care for their team, but it was a lopsided and rather sleepy game as a result. There's been much better games to watch this year.

As for the Sounders, the season did not end well. Overall, the highlight of the year was watching Zakuani develop. Looks like Montero is locking in with a new long-term contract which also pleases me. I guess the highlight was the Open Cup, but that tournament is really kind of a dog, although the final was fun.

Champions League again next year, hope the Sounders do better in 2011 than they did in 2010 in that tournament. It was good to see Monterrey in a competitive game though. And now MLS has been invited to Copa Libertadores, which is, in my humble, narrow opinion one of the best cup tournaments on the planet. So I hope Garber is smart enough to make the invite work.

The USMNT is lining up a friendly against Argentina this spring in Seattle. I will look forward to that a great deal.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
For the US to be asked into the Copa Libertadores is indeed something they shouldn't even think twice about.
Reply Quote
70 Undead Priest
I hope they consider it! Just finished watching slick Willy give a speech for the 2022 bid. If the outcome was based purely on that speech, the US is doomed. :)

Anyway, we'll all find out tomorrow where the next two tournaments will go (after Brazil of course).
Edited by Cursedblood on 12/1/2010 8:51 AM PST
Reply Quote
I missed the speech, but I think that the timing of the TSA search procedures and our ongoing security concerns are not helping the US bid. I realize that 2022 is a long ways away and security measures will continue to evolve, but I have friends who try to avoid travel into/through the US right now. We're not the friendliest place to visit.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Anytime Real gets their asses handed to them I'm happy. To have it done by Barcelona is just heavenly.
Also, Saint Iker <3

I secretly hope that Qatar wins the bid for 2022, it would be nice to have some happiness in that area of the world ^_^
Reply Quote
70 Undead Priest
I would, if a gun were held to my head, pick Barca over RM, purely for the political history of the two clubs, but in reality, it isn't one of favorite derbies. As a neutral, I wanted a competitive game, but this one was over fast and I lost interest.

As for the WC. these things generally boil down to money. Qatar has gobs of it, and certainly security concerns in Qatar will be equally challenging. I hate to be cynical, but as we've seen with olympic bids, this process probably isn't very above-board. I wager, the deciding factors are all due to which wheels were greased in ways that FIFA are confident will never get exposed.

One problem with Qatar is, it is in the Asian zone, with China hinting heavily it wants a piece of 2026...FIFA will want China...and wouldn't want to schedule back-to-back tournaments in the Asian zone.

Also, the last WC in the USA was a big success, at the gate, in the ratings and had smooth logistics and organization. If the USA loses, it will be due to the fact they didn't play ball behind closed doors to FIFA's satisfaction, I think in all other areas they have other bids beat,

Not that I'd ever underestimate how a rich Arab nation can make things happen, when money is the chief motivator. :)

Of couse, I am just a goob, I have no real insight and I've been very wrong about such things in the past.

Edited by Cursedblood on 12/1/2010 12:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
Dis 'ere's Amerika an we speek Engleash jus' like Jesus did.

No uh, we speak AMURIKEN.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
... a real fan? *LOL
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I look at Real the same way I look at the Dallas Cowboys. When they lose, I gleefully snicker and then go out to find Real/Cowboys fans to poke fun at.
Reply Quote
I look at Real the same way I look at the Dallas Cowboys. When they lose, I gleefully snicker and then go out to find Real/Cowboys fans to poke fun at.

My brother is a huge Cowboys fan, watching his mental breakdown during the thanksgiving game was pretty entertaining.

Jerryjones: WTB center that can snap a football PST
Reply Quote
70 Undead Priest
Qatar wins and already the American sports writers are whining. I hope Qatar does a great job, it will be the most air-conditioned World Cup in history. :)

I thought England deserved the bid. It meant so much to them. And clearly they were prepared, well-financed and keen. But the BBC exposed how FIFA really works and I think that cost them.

Also London is one of my favorite cities, I would have really enjoyed watching the tournament there. Oh well. :(
Reply Quote
60 Tauren Shaman

I like doing that too, but it's mostly cause I live in Dallas, and I work with a couple really big fans there. I said they would go 8 and 8 this year, they might not even do that. I'm so happy!

As to the topic, eh, not much of a "football" fan. Never understood why only in America is Soccer called something different then in every other country. Makes multi-national forums confusing as hell sometimes.
Edited by Naivox on 12/2/2010 8:49 AM PST
Reply Quote
70 Undead Priest
Never understood why only in America is Soccer called something different then in every other country.

I understand the frustration, but often the distinction can prevent confusion in certain countries.

Australia often uses the term as well (although more often than not stick with football). They also indeed label their national team the "socceroos". This is because Australia watches NFL (a little anyway), but they also have their own brand of football. So using the term soccer can avoid having to question which "football" you mean. I hung out at sports bars around the university in Melbourne (where I was adopted by Carlton fans), and saw this happen fairly frequently.

Also the sport has been called soccer for a very, very long time. Heck, even some people in England use the term and have for a long time. My grandfather used the term sometimes, he played for Arsenal's farm team back in the 30's.

It is also called soccer in Canada too, just saying.

That's where I grew up playing the sport and all our leagues were called soccer leagues.

And what we call football here is called "American Football" in England. Hockey is called "ice hockey" there and Field Hockey is called just "hockey". Australia often calls its national blend of football "Aussie Rules", and even has to distinguish between two types of rugby. Also in latino countries, they designate it as "futbol", with a unique pronunciation, even when speaking English.

Countries have unique vernacular, different customs, it is how it goes.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]