All melee need an instant gap closer

85 Blood Elf Paladin
There, iv'e said it. It just needs to be done.

Previously, it was okay for melee to not have an instant gap closer because casters had to sit still and cast. Now, with their instants doing as much as our instants, but with a 40 yard range, the melee specs without an instant gap closer are struggling.

A caster is allowed 100% "uptime" on their targets. In other words, they can pretty much deal damage to their chosen target 100% of the time. meanwhile i consider myself lucky if i hit a mage with crusader strike.

Its simply unfair that i have to spend (example) 10 seconds to get the the target, while during that whole time im getting my face melted.

I believe that shadow step should be baseline, and enchance and ret get an instant gap closer. Doesnt have to be as powerful as the others, but its simply unfair that certain specs have to rely on their "w" key to deal damage.

EDIT: THIS IS NOT ABOUT RET PALLYS ITS ABOUT MELEE UPTIME VS CASTERS. Please be mindful of this when posting. Thank you.
Edited by Thantor on 11/30/2010 7:45 AM PST
Reply Quote
80 Orc Shaman
Not all casters have 100% "uptime on targets" btw. Locks and spriests generally sit there and eat damage thrown at them like no other classes because they have to and fear is pretty crappy.. They seem to do ok though.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
You have some ranged abilities that g%*%% ppl in the mouth and really shouldn't have an issue mitigating damage or simply healing through it up until you close the range between you and a caster. Frankly I don't think you can complain as a pally.

Obviously I can't complain as a rogue: stealth and shadowstep.

Warriors have lot's of great movement abilities; they can dance across the battlefield.

DKs pull enemies to THEM

Feral druids have similar stuff to rogues...

What the heck are you talking about dude?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
You have some ranged abilities that g%*%% ppl in the mouth and really shouldn't have an issue mitigating damage or simply healing through it up until you close the range between you and a caster. Frankly I don't think you can complain as a pally.

Obviously I can't complain as a rogue: stealth and shadowstep.

Warriors have lot's of great movement abilities; they can dance across the battlefield.

DKs pull enemies to THEM

Feral druids have similar stuff to rogues...

What the heck are you talking about dude?

guess you dont play a pally as there are times when a mage can kill me and the only damage i deal is judgment (which hits for around 2k)

Sure i have wings/hammer but its usually dispelled by that mage way before i get 2 hammers off, and some awesome locks i have dueled remove it instantaneously.

My point is, i need to generate holy power with crusader strike. if i cant even reach my target then what am i supposed to do?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Rogue
I agree with you except a 25 yard Shadow Step does not help much against casters that are 35 yards away. It used to be that I could at least run the other way and get out of their range. No so any more. Even with Sprint, it is difficult to out run the snares and stuns. :(

At the moment, range classes have a huge advantage over melee.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Not all casters have 100% "uptime on targets" btw. Locks and spriests generally sit there and eat damage thrown at them like no other classes because they have to and fear is pretty crappy.. They seem to do ok though.

but they can deal damage to me 100% of the time is what i mean. and i dont know if you trying to claim that those specs are weak but i have yet to beat an spriest and my lock friend (affliction) is loving it.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin

im trying to figure out what your talking about here. cause if remember playing my paladin or anything all these ranged abilitys require some sort of RNG to activate them. besides judgment which crits for a whooping 2k in pvp on an 8 sec CD sooo i guess i missed that..
now as for the mitigation i missed the memo on that too, i think you are confusing us with warriors/DKs
as for the heal sure i can stand there and use FoL twice and go oom. or i can attempt to get in melee range to use my melee ability to WoG
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
At this point the only thing holy power is useful for is Word of Glory to try and heal yourself as the mage blinks around the field and pounds you into the ground. Unless you're holy, and then I guess it's a battle to see who runs out of mana first.

I basically run away from mages now, you can't stun them, they have a ton of snares, steal my buffs and insta spam ice lance. But if I manage to see one with low health I'll drop whatever I'm doing and throw my hammer. It helps...
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
another QQ post from a bad paladin...

funny how good players don't need all these things, yet bad say they are must haves...

if you want Charge/intercept play a warrior.... stop demanding an ability that you don't have just because you want it. Paladins have never needed charge, they will never need charge, what they need is someone thats half way smart at the keyboard

Ah yes i am a bad player because i think that an instant gap closer would be useful for all melee. Obviously im speaking of pvp and since you have not even stepped foot into an arena I believe you should refrain from pvp input and insulting other players.

Paladins HAVE needed a gap closer, just because they havent gotten it, doesnt mean they dont need it. And if i wanted to roll a warrior, i would have done so. Your post is nothing but a troll and i am reporting it.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
however to your ignornat argument of needed a gap closer... hows this... they give paladins a gap closer but in retrun they get 0 abilitys that can be used outside of melee range... that means judgements, exorsisim, hammer of wrather, hammer of stun, and everything else that can hut something outside of melee range now has a melee range limit on it... because thats what warriors are limited to

gratend a paladin such as yourself does not think about his multitude of ranged abilitys verses the small number of DK ones or the non exsistant warrior ones... he just wants something to replace his bad

You mean my 2k judgment hit? or my exo that needs to be in melee range to activate? are you saying warriors do not have any ranged abilities? or that if i gain 1 gap closer, i need no ranged abilities since you have ranged abilities and several gap closers? Do you forget that i also dont have a snare?

i dont think you thought your argument through all the way. In any case, if you feel paladins should not receive a gap closer thats fine, but insulting people and becoming so enraged about it is a little over kill.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warrior
Personally I think that the answer lies in the fact that mages have way too much control no matter what the spec, although frost has by far the most. Blizz wanted to make frost viable for pve (which is admirable) but seems to have not realized the full implication of what the damage + control will do in pvp. It has happened before, for example, prot warriors during season 6 of arena had absurd amounts of control and when they staxked arpen had higher burst than arms warriors to go along with high survivability. It was during that season (I think) that Alloraan achieved 3k rating as a warrior, a first for warriors. And he was prot. The nerf hammer came down hard after that.
P.S., no slight intended to Alloraan, he is an amazing player.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
another QQ post from a bad paladin...

funny how good players don't need all these things, yet bad say they are must haves...

if you want Charge/intercept play a warrior.... stop demanding an ability that you don't have just because you want it. Paladins have never needed charge, they will never need charge, what they need is someone thats half way smart at the keyboard

Ah yes i am a bad player because i think that an instant gap closer would be useful for all melee. Obviously im speaking of pvp and since you have not even stepped foot into an arena I believe you should refrain from pvp input and insulting other players.

Paladins HAVE needed a gap closer, just because they havent gotten it, doesnt mean they dont need it. And if i wanted to roll a warrior, i would have done so. Your post is nothing but a troll and i am reporting it.
yeah cause people only ever play one toon... (BTW arenas are dead now all PvP worth anything is going to be back in BGS)

however to your ignornat argument of needed a gap closer... hows this... they give paladins a gap closer but in return they get 0 abilitys that can be used outside of melee range... that means judgements, exorsisim, hammer of wrath, hammer of stun, and everything else that can hit something outside of melee range now has a melee range limit on it... because thats what warriors are limited to

granted a paladin such as yourself does not think about his multitude of ranged abilitys verses the small number of DK ones or the non exsistant warrior ones... he just wants something to replace his bad

warriors have multiple gap closes becasue they have to be in melee to do anything, paladins don't... paladins also have ways of closing distance you just fail you use them... those being HoF and SoJ, just because you do not use the tools you have to close distance does not mean you lack them therefore need more
Also they just had their exorcism buffed. It does a crap load of dmg on a short cool down. Pallies need to figure out are they going to be melee or ranged. They seem to want the best of both. Well the bad ones do anyway.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
It was during that season (I think) that Alloraan achieved 3k rating as a warrior, a first for warriors.

alloraan's 3k ATC was in season 7, he was not the first warrior to hit 3k either, that was snerp's enh/warrior/druid in season 6, with an arms warrior.
Edited by Datah on 11/30/2010 6:40 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
All casters should get disarms then.

lol please explain your argument.

If i receive a gap closer so that i can reach you and deal damage, you get a tool to make me useless for 10 seconds? hmm seems logical and balanced.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]