Paladin stats...

70 Blood Elf Paladin
I just started this paly last week and love it. I spec'd prot and intend on dual specing holy once I get around to it. I haven't read any guides on paladins yet because most of them are outdated and don't provide the relevant information i'm looking for. I do have significant experience with many other classes and how stats work.

This all being said, the paladin class is interesting cause I can see use in almost all stats, so I have had a hard time figuring out what is best from my own experience. STR is obviously good for my melee dps and threat; AGI is good for more defense; INT is for more mana. These are the three stats I figured are what I should be aiming for.

Problem is gear seems to either have typically just one of these 3 stats. So I have been switching out stats as I go AGI to STR and back and forth again cause at this point I'm just grabbing whatever offers overall higher item level with those stats. I'm aproaching midgame and I want to start focusing the specific (if any) stats for being PROT. I also am curious how different the gear stats are when I want to dual spec HOLY.

To sum this all up simply, what is the basic stat priority for PROT and HOLY?

lastly, I'm sure at 85 I will have 3 sets of gear for tanking, healing, and pvp.... but as a general purpose leveling should I have a hybrid set or 2 specific sets?
Reply Quote
70 Blood Elf Paladin
Your primary stats are:
Prot - Stamina
Ret - Strength
Holy - Intellect
As you get to level 85 there are many interactions between the various other stats, but while leveling your primary stats are as above. Those stats provide the most benefit toward the role you are accomplishing (tank / dps / healer).

So do those three stats take priority over AGI ? Should I as Prot, take str over agi? That is the real dispute i'm having. How relevent is AGI for paladins in general?
Edited by Zerbrista on 11/30/2010 12:02 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
stack armor
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
Your primary stats are:
Prot - Stamina
Ret - Strength
Holy - Intellect
As you get to level 85 there are many interactions between the various other stats, but while leveling your primary stats are as above. Those stats provide the most benefit toward the role you are accomplishing (tank / dps / healer).

So do those three stats take priority over AGI ? Should I as Prot, take str over agi? That is the real dispute i'm having. How relevent is AGI for paladins in general?

I've never seen agility on paladin gear.
Reply Quote
Prot today is Sta/Str
Ret is Str
Holy is Int

Good theorycrafting at elitistjerks and maintankadin.
The class forums at Wowhead will also start building some good sets of info soon enough.

There is more to it than just 'Primary Stat' for endgame however. Balance and caps are always important.

AGI is no longer a needed stat for Prot or Ret for that matter.

If anything, Mastery is really the new black, err Primary stat.
Edited by Heketea on 11/30/2010 12:10 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

Do not worry about AGI at all, especially at higher levels with the armor specialization.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
The only reason you ever took agi was for the extra armor and dodge, neither continues to be relevant. Strength will give you some extra parry and bonus threat, but you should only use it when you have to activate a meta or grab a decent socket bonus.
Reply Quote
10 Gnome Rogue
agility is still a good stat. Slightly less so now that it doesn't provide armor, but still good.

It's just that tank gear is better than agility gear for survival and ret gear is better than agility gear for damage.

agility weapons for prot are still decent. And greens/blues with agility and strength are still worth while just like greens/blues with strength and int are still worth while.

It's simply that epic gear doesn't mix red stats (str,agi,int)
Reply Quote
6 Troll Shaman
Regarding prot:
Please see - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1020823291
Agility is purely for avoidance. With this in mind, it's better to get dodge or expertise couple with Stam if you're aiming for socket bonuses. They'll give you more avoidance point for point. I forgot which one is red.

Regarding holy:
Please see -
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1069856977
Edited by Lylthe on 11/30/2010 1:03 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]