Do any healers look OP for Cata raiding?

60 Orc Hunter
Starting to think about the guild I'm going to build and wondering if any healers look significantly better at this point.

I was looking at the druid talents, they have a lot of flexibility and I think their HoTs might wind up being very important if mana-efficiency is the name of the game.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
I was looking at the druid talents, they have a lot of flexibility and I think their HoTs might wind up being very important if mana-efficiency is the name of the game.

Not when our hots are extremely expensive and we have extremely limited mana regen.
Reply Quote
55 Undead Death Knight

Not when our hots are extremely expensive and we have extremely limited mana regen.

This. Cata is all about steady damage and not having everyone at 100% so of course if a druid could have every HoT on all raid members at times where health is not supposed to be at 100% they would be getting 100% effective heals and yes be overpowered.

From the beta it is clear that mana efficiency means you can't rejuv blanket. Druids have always been powerful healers for raids and tanks but at this point in time they are certainly not 'OP' for cata and I eagerly await the day when WoTLK resto druids try their hand at cata raiding and realize it isn't as easy as it used to be
Reply Quote
98 Blood Elf Priest
Healing is probably the most balanced it has ever been pve wise. I would say Holy Paladins are slight outliers, but honestly would need to see more 85 raid data than I did to make a firm comment on that. It's close enough that individual talents and skills have to be looked at to decide which healers really have the edge if you want to take it that far.

In short, never has "Play the class you enjoy" ever been more accurate.
Edited by Taihou on 11/30/2010 4:39 PM PST
Reply Quote
60 Orc Hunter
Hooray for that!

Let me ask a different question then, which healers are going to be easier to play? Reading the talents for holy priests made my head hurt.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
Shammy has a very well balanced and linear learning curve.
It's not necessarily easy across the board, it still requires some research, thought and practice to play one at its best, and with all the buffs (totems) and buff homogeneization you do have some stuff to micro-manage if you want to max it.

With all that said, you can do well with one very soon into the learning curve. Priests and pallies I find take a lot more time to develop muscle memory on. Shammies aren't boringly easy, but tend to be uncomplicated, with very little crud or superflous spells (and tons of smart healing is done for you).
Not saying the other classes aren't fun, but if you're after an easy learning experience and never healed before, we're ok.

Never played resto druid so I have no idea what the learning curve is like.
Edited by Hoofnpuff on 11/30/2010 5:13 PM PST
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Paladin
Paladin healing got hit with a complete overhaul in how we do business now, but any good Hpally has compensated for it by now. Our raid healing is great (changes to light of dawn were awesome) and our Radience heal was toned down, but it doesn't look to bad. But the previous posters are pretty much spot on. Take any healer for any job, you shouldn't have to micro the raid comp anymore.
Reply Quote
55 Undead Death Knight
Shammy has a very well balanced and linear learning curve.
It's not necessarily easy across the board, it still requires some research, thought and practice to play one at its best, and with all the buffs (totems) and buff homogeneization you do have some stuff to micro-manage if you want to max it.

With all that said, you can do well with one very soon into the learning curve. Priests and pallies I find take a lot more time to develop muscle memory on. Shammies aren't boringly easy, but tend to be uncomplicated, with very little crud or superflous spells (and tons of smart healing is done for you).
Not saying the other classes aren't fun, but if you're after an easy learning experience and never healed before, we're ok.

Never played resto druid so I have no idea what the learning curve is like.

I would agree with this, for EASE of learning I would go a shaman. Having said that all healers are easy, all dps and easy and all tanks are easy once you spend a bit of time researching and playing around with abilities. This is the only way to learn and a good way to think of it is that no matter what class/spec you play, somewhere in the world there is a 10 year old doing it just fine.

So go shaman for an easy introduction, but don't mind priests or paladins who say what they do is 'hard'. Performing WELL is hard, many a raid I have seen a bad healer but getting into a raid and doing ok is easy on any class. I would say pick the class that seems most interesting to you. If you have no idea, go for a shaman
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]