stress

90 Orc Shaman
hi healers

i can't really handle the stress of healing anymore.

been healing lfr's and 5 mans and some flex raids for a while now. got my legendary yay. but the amount of abuse I get from DPS who tell me I suck, I'm bad, swear at me, etc, is enough to put me in tears.

I feel like just giving up altogether - I don't know what to do. :(
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Turn off instance chat and ignore people being abusive. You'll need to decide for yourself if healing is fun enough to continue doing, honestly. Most of us are probably biased.
However, random people feel no need to be anything other than complete jerks. They'll likely never see you again, so they don't care. You can become a better player. They'll still be jerks.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
i mean everyone says my stats are wrong yet no one tells me how to fix things - if I knew there was a problem and how to fix it i'd be more then willing. I point that out and I'm usually kicked lol
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Hmm. Well healing can be stressful but shouldn't be THAT stressful especially not in the abuse-taking department.

So first things first, I am going to ask this, in a totally not mean way: do you suck? Are you in fact, bad? Is your performance causing wipes? You don't have to tell me the answers, but you should be honest with yourself.

If you do think you need to improve, you have come to the right place. There are people here who want to help. Now, I know next to nothing about shamans but I can tell ya right off the bat that running with empty glyph slots is a red flag and the glyphs you do have look wrong to me. I'm sure some shamans can come and give you advice on how to improve much better than I could so I will leave them to it.

If you are not, in fact, bad - and still this stressed? Healing may not be for you - and that's totally okay! If DPS is what you're good at and what gives you non-stressed enjoyment, then DPS is what you should be doing.

There are lots of jerks on the internet, developing a thickish skin is unfortunately part of group play. But buck up! Most people are not that bad. :) And the ones that are, you can place on ignore!
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
being told that I'm "healing with my gentials on teh keyboard" and that I "fail hard" really does make me upset.

i dunno, i like to heal but i hate people who hurl abuse at me when i mess up. it's easy to tell me that i suck but no one is willing to point out how I can improve I guess
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Hopefully someone better versed in shaman healing can come along and clear up stat priorities. Until then, maybe also try the shaman forum. There's a resto sticky with some information and an icy-veins link that show haste charts. http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/8177778099 It's a start.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Good grief. That is some pretty terrible stuff. People say a lot of terrible ish in LFD unfortunately, because it's anonymous like Magnolia said before. They don't have any social consequences to behaving like jerks, which reinforces name calling, insults, trolling, and ninjalooting as "ok" behavior. :(

This too that Mag said " You can become a better player. They'll still be jerks." is a very powerful thing. If their rudeness is the springboard to your improvement, that's great for you in the end, because you will become better, and they will still be mean. :<

This is a good blog for shamans and healers in general: http://healiocentric.wordpress.com/
This is another blog I like from a shaman: http://lifeingroup5.com/
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Both of your major glyphs require you to DPS with Lightning Bolt to be at your best; do you find yourself DPSing to the exclusion of healing when heavy damage is going out? Do you need the Telluric Currents glyph because you find yourself OOMing otherwise? That would be a problem with either spell selection or Spirit, one of the two.

(Also, why are you missing multiple glyphs?)

You also have LOTS of haste when at your item level I'd be focusing on Spirit, Intellect and Mastery (resto shaman mastery is dead sexy) then Haste. The way you're set up with your gems and reforging right now, I would bet you probably have mana issues after all of your hasted spells quickly gobble up your mana pool and that's when people start complaining. As you get more gear, you can certainly move to more Haste.

Also, VALOR! So important to upgrade your items and you have several that are at 0/2 upgrades. Keep working on valor (if you hit the weekly cap you can completely upgrade 2 different items to 2/2) and upgrade!

Eat Intellect, flask Spirit right now as well.
Edited by Lyrianna on 1/16/2014 1:33 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
everyone says I should go for Haste instead of Mastery but...
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I wouldn't touch Haste till a higher ilevel, honestly, for the reasons I outlined.

*edit to add*

Realized I should expand on this a little more. Especially when you're initially healing or still learning your healing spec, having more Spirit gives you some 'wiggle room' because the more Spirit you've got, the faster your mana pool refills.

Haste literally decreases your mana pool at at more rapid rate because the more Haste you have, as a general rule, the quicker you finish casts, which frees you to make another cast more quickly, but at the expense of a safety net in your mana pool.

Usually those you see stack Haste are 550+ raiders/hardmode raiders who are going after an extra tick of, say, Lifebloom. They also stack Haste because you can heal through bad stuff more quickly, BUT they generally have the Spirit and Intellect to back up their Haste, through gear and reforging.
Edited by Lyrianna on 1/16/2014 1:45 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Mean people you will find everywhere that think they are the next coming and will QQ so you just sort of have to handle it. Feed them to Thok.

Look at other resto shaman and see what they do and compare. Improving yourself never hurts.

But don't get stressed over remarks of a few idiots.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
Tell jerks to go to heck or just ignore them. Healers need a thick skin (also Tanks). Don't let them get you down.

The links the others provided here seem good. Check them out.

Are you using addons to help you? Healing addons help.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
so i should reforge for spirit gem for spirit enchant spirit and mastery?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
01/16/2014 01:08 PMPosted by Bunny
If you do think you need to improve, you have come to the right place. There are people here who want to help.

^^^

It sounds like you've run into some singularly horrible people.

Please bear with this first bit of what I'm saying, and I hope you can look past any "offensive" suggestions I may be implying (I mean no offense at all, just like Bunny), to see that there's some decent advice in here for people who might benefit from what I'm saying, whether it applies to you yourself or not (many of the regular forumers here are concerned to try to post info that will be helpful not only to the OP, but also to whichever other people are reading the post because they're looking for help with the same things).

I'd add to some of the really difficult questions Bunny asked (again - she just wants you to ask them of yourself, she doesn't need you to give us answers): "are you trying to defend yourself against the idiots' abuse?"

If you feel the impulse to talk back to them or "try to defend yourself", you need to turn off instance chat or put the offending person on ignore (which will also ensure that you're never grouped with that person again by any LFD/LFR/scenario queue). Internet bullies of this type aren't exactly like highschool bullies - standing up to them doesn't have the same effect (I mean, certainly not in this situation). Taking the high road, for the unpleasant duration of the instance, is the ONLY course of action you can take (beyond dropping group if you really don't feel up to the run with a group of toxic people).

Be sure to *report* the offenders. Help protect other players from idiots like that. You never find out whether they get a warning or a ban, but Blizz *will* take action against people who pass a certain line as outlined in the game ToS. Keep in mind that this is a good reason that you should never descend to *their* level while trying to defend yourself; you can easily end up with a warning or a ban yourself if you give into your anger.

k... beyond that little lecture, which may not even apply to you of course, ABSOLUTELY people here will help you :) You can also try over on the shaman class forum (though there aren't always resto shamans kicking around over there, so don't get discouraged if you don't get quick responses there... here's a direct link to the shaman forum http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/1012669/ ). To experienced healers, the biggest indicator that somebody CAN improve is that they come looking for help. It means you're willing to try things, instead of getting defensive and putting up walls and closing their ears & minds to suggestions.

Your gear is all very resto-shaman appropriate; while sure, there are little things that could squeeze out more from it, at i542 equipped, it should be *more* than adequate to handle the content you're talking about. Your talents are also perfectly acceptable (Stone Bulwark Totem was buffed for 5.4, and is often a better choice than Astral Shift, *however* Astral Shift, used correctly, can be a better choice for some specific mechanic you might be struggling with)

I'm going to assume, therefore, that it's more spell usage. Which is fine! We can help you re-train your healing decisions :)

Glyphs - get rid of Earth Shield. *Probably* get rid of Glyph of TC.

If you run any 10man content, you're going to want to run with Glyph of Chaining in all but nearly-always-stacked situations (ie... there are no almost-always-stacked situations in SoO). It's still potentially worthwhile using for 25man content.

My glyphs aren't set up wonderfully atm (not really bothering to optimize my gear; we're not doing a lot of challenging stuff atm & I'm healing heroic content with a different guild on my Disc priest), so I don't have Glyph of Totemic Recall, but that is absolutely worth equipping, and training yourself to use. It allows you to drop that much more Spirit in favour of more Crit/Haste/Mastery, meaning you'll be able to pump out more throughput (not that you're running with an obscene amount of Spirit at all, but every bit of Spirit you can drop means more throughput).

- I'm bad, and have Glyph of Riptide. Do NOT emulate me unless a fight gives you very, very specific reasons to do so (hint: not sure there's a single instance in this tier where it's actually necessary?). Glyph of Riptide is no longer as bad as it was before 5.4, BUT that doesn't mean it's *good* to use.

Perhaps Tiberria or Sensations or Harpoa or some of the other shamans here with lots of heroic progression can give you some other glyph tips that I'm not as on-the-ball about.
Edited by Ellarix on 1/16/2014 2:11 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
There are two main builds for shamans at your ilevel.
Lyrianna outlined the one I call the Mastery build where you focus on Spirit and Mastery.

I personally go for what I call the Crit build where you ignore Mastery and keep just barely enough Spirit to last through the hardest fight you're going to do. You then go for a reasonable Haste cap(check Icy-Veins for the caps) and stack crit. When using this build NEVER sacrifice crit for anything except int. Cit functions as a dual purpose stat, it provides a large throughput gain and gives us a fairly significant mana regen gain.

The Mastery build is better for a beginner shaman getting comfortable healing, but the crit build is better for throughput as our mastery is the second worst out of all healer masteries in terms of effectiveness in the current healing environment. Only Monks have a worse mastery.

I would agree on keeping your haste low at your ilevel. I would drop as much as you can in favor of Crit or Mastery/Spirit.

For Mastery Build your stat priority will look something like this:
Int > Spirit to Comfort > Mastery > Haste > Crit
Although you may swap Crit and Haste...

For Crit Build your priority will be more like this
Int > Spirit to Comfort > Crit > Haste > Mastery.

At my ilevel, I can reach higher Haste levels without sacrificing Crit, and I use the following priority
Int > Crit > Haste
I value Mastery at 10 and Spirit at 0 for reforging. This means that it reforges out of Spirit over Mastery if both appear.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
One of the single biggest habits you can get yourself into is maximizing Healing Rain. This means:

- *always* be assessing placement. Melee is usually the best target; try to place it so the tank is *barely* standing in it, so that it catches as many melee & even some close ranged players.

- all fights with movement, constantly be thinking: "how long are these players going to be standing there before they have to move?" "is it better for me to place HR where they are now, or should I place it a little more towards where they'll be moving?" or even "should I not bother putting HR down right now because they'll need it more when they move over *there* in 5 seconds?"

- You should use Unleash Life with every Healing Rain possible (their cooldowns are different). UL buffs Healing Rain by *30%*. You have two options... 1) you can let your last HR disappear, and not cast it again until UL comes off cooldown again a couple of seconds later, or 2) you can cast HR literally *on* cooldown, using UL every 2nd HR cast.

- Do everything you can to use a player with Riptide to launch your Chain Heals.

- Plan your cooldown usage ahead of the fight! Resto shaman healing is very bound to our bewildering array of cooldowns. Use MTT early-ish, and on cooldown after that (ie... don't wait to be low on mana before popping it). Know which mechanics HTT should be used for, and know which mechanics you should use SLT for. If you don't use Totemic Projection (it's ok if you don't), be sure to place yourself where you need to be in time for that SLT moment.

- A special note for Ascendance: *before* the mechanic happens that you want to pop Ascendance, you should try to have at least 2 Riptides ticking, and then you should UL-HR before popping Ascendance. Then, Chain Heal spam off of your Riptide targets until the moment UL comes off cooldown; hit Ancestral Swiftness, then UL, then instant-cast the HR to get the most out of your last couple of seconds of the Ascendance buff.

You'll notice that there's a certain amount of precision needed for some of those things. End-game healers really start to excel when they practice watching boss timers. You may find it incredibly bewildering at first, but keep at it; you *will* end up feeling more capable :)

Finally, I know that I really became a healer when I started *talking* to other healers. I encourage you to keep visiting this forum (and any others where you've found people willing to give helpful advice), and to reach out and chat with other players you've healed with. It's much less lonely when you feel like you're part of the healing community! Keep at it, and I hope you feel less stressed soon :)

edit:

This too that Mag said " You can become a better player. They'll still be jerks." is a very powerful thing. If their rudeness is the springboard to your improvement, that's great for you in the end, because you will become better, and they will still be mean. :<

This is a good blog for shamans and healers in general: http://healiocentric.wordpress.com/
This is another blog I like from a shaman: http://lifeingroup5.com/

All of what Bunny said :)
Edited by Ellarix on 1/16/2014 2:12 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
You should read the guides we linked for starters. Icy Veins has the following stat priority listed:

Spirit (until you are comfortable with your mana regeneration);
Intellect;
Haste Rating (until the soft haste cap that is the easiest to attain);
Critical Strike Rating;
Mastery Rating;
Haste Rating.

Keep in mind that crit will be assisting largely with your regen in addition to througput via. Resurgence.

Link to the chart of mentioned soft caps: http://www.icy-veins.com/restoration-shaman-wow-pve-healing-statistics-priority-reforging#soft-haste-caps
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
so i should focus on spirit - is that in terms of gems and enchants too or just like gear?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
01/16/2014 12:41 PMPosted by Lugrik
been healing lfr's and 5 mans and some flex raids for a while now. got my legendary yay. but the amount of abuse I get from DPS who tell me I suck, I'm bad, swear at me, etc, is enough to put me in tears.

First of all, I don't think anyone should ever get stressed abouut LFR, 5 mans, or flex. Ever.

Secondly, players are jerks. Especially when they don't know you.

But if you are being singled out consistently, it's possible that you may need to examine and work on your own performance. That's not to say that the way people are addressing you isn't completely uncalled for, but you may want to focus on the message, rather than the way the message is being relayed.

Looks like there's an enormous amount of feedback being thrown your way in this thread and your engagement with it is very simple and terse. Take these things to heart and try to hone your craft. And also just be grateful for people being willing to offer you advice..
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
As others have said, you need a thick skin. People are quick to find a way to tear you down. Most people will not take the time to say that you did good. If someone is going to comment on how you did. It will probably be to tell you you're bad or to troll you. You have to grin and bear it. And look and see if you actually are bad.

I'm leveling a second priest and I've been told I'm bad a few times and that I shouldn't heal. Well it's usually a tank issue or DPS pulling aggro (given I do derp sometimes). Thing is, I have experience in heroic raiding. I know what I'm doing, but people will blame the healer and be rude about it if something goes wrong.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]