Disc Priests Queueing For Heroics as DPS

90 Tauren Shaman
How do we feel about this?
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
are they doing as much or more dps than the other dps?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Heroic 5s?

/shrug.

With Loot Pinata Island open - anyone at level 90 who is under about iLevel 490 after their first day or two of being 90 is doing it wrong. And at that iLevel, you might as well let Holy Priests queue as tanks, and Prot Warriors queue as heals...

The Heroic 5s in PandaVille are so undertuned its laughable...

I can't believe this state of things got out of internal testing at Blizzard this many years into the game's life...
Edited by Askala on 1/16/2014 4:50 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Monk
How do you feel about the arms warrior/frost dk/ret pally there as a tank? To me, if it works it works, though honestly, I've never seen it outside leveling.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
01/16/2014 04:49 PMPosted by Synae
How do you feel about the arms warrior/frost dk/ret pally there as a tank? To me, if it works it works, though honestly, I've never seen it outside leveling.

Agreed.

I'd be a little annoyed if I was the actual healer, but meh.

Now if they were acting like a jerk about it, that'd be a whole different thing.
Edited by Veroicone on 1/16/2014 4:54 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
01/16/2014 04:48 PMPosted by Tsilyi
are they doing as much or more dps than the other dps?

Yeah, but this was also one of "those" groups, i.e. everyone in sort of marginal gear and doing sub 30k DPS. I couldn't decide whether to criticize the priest for being in the wrong spec or for running heroics in questing greens, so I decided to be a polite healer and just keep the ship afloat.

But it did make me curious about whether disc could be a legitimate damage spec at higher ilvls.
Edited by Orruoth on 1/16/2014 5:01 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Well with a 570 ilvl when I do 5s due to boredom. As long as there isn't someone equally geared, I'm doing the most DPS. So yes for 5s it would be. But I cannot compete with the DPS in my raid.

They actually use me as a measure. If I am beating a DPS or close to a DPS, they are doing it wrong. On H Protectors I almost beat one of our DPS. Let's say they don't raid with us anymore.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
01/16/2014 05:00 PMPosted by Orruoth
I decided to be a polite healer and just keep the ship afloat.

you're great. don't ever change :)

01/16/2014 05:00 PMPosted by Orruoth
But it did make me curious about whether disc could be a legitimate damage spec at higher ilvls.

it can be for 5 mans, but nothing beyond that, really.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Why would you do that when a healer que is so much shorter...? O.o
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Shaman
zZq
Some of my best heroics were with a fury/arms tank. They had more hp than most dungeon tanks, and take about the same amount of damage. Everything melted. If you've got the gear for it who cares.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Priest
01/16/2014 07:17 PMPosted by Rizzeyn

Yea, I don't understand. Wouldn't the queue be quicker as a healer and also, wouldn't the run be faster with an extra dps while atonement does all the work?
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Priest

Yea, I don't understand. Wouldn't the queue be quicker as a healer and also, wouldn't the run be faster with an extra dps while atonement does all the work?

Yes and no. Usually the queue is shorter definitely although I have seen rare instances of someone queuing both dps and heals and getting picked as a dps. The dps is definitely lower than that of an equal geared dps, but disc can put out decent dps - especially if compared to a new 90. For example on a fight where I don't have to do any extra healing, I can usually put out about 100k dps. It's definitely lower than what I'd do at current gear levels if I was shadow (and used stats geared towards shadow). However, it will often be higher than many of the dps if I do a random 5 man. (Gear inflation, what's that?)

Personally, I think it would make the run extremely boring and frustrating for the actual healer so I'd never queue as disc for dps.

If it had been me, I probably would have whispered something like "Just an fyi, but you would do more dps as shadow than what you're currently doing. Discipline is more of a healer spec than a damage spec." It's possible the priest doesn't really know better if they just hit 90. However, I wouldn't say anything else besides that and probably wouldn't bring it up to the rest of the group or press the issue.
Edited by Mieme on 1/17/2014 10:47 PM PST
Reply Quote
At 90 I wouldn't mostly because of what Mieme said, it would make it boring for the healer in the group. As far as damage, I think even my resto druid would do enough damage for a heroic dungeon. :P So I don't see an issue that way.

Now on my druids that were below 30 and unable to duel spec, I always choose all 3 roles. Never had an issues or complaints. One of the more memorable times was my hubby and I both doing that on our resto druids. I got dps, he got tank and ....well the entire group was resto druids. It was in Stockades and we all had a blast.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
01/16/2014 06:13 PMPosted by Tsilyi
I decided to be a polite healer and just keep the ship afloat.

you're great. don't ever change :)

it can be for 5 mans, but nothing beyond that, really.

I regularly top 5 or better in LFR when I Q for it... I don't see a problem here.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
Wouldn't it be more logical to queue as healer. Only now you have another dps, making the dungeon go even faster
Edited by Suplift on 1/17/2014 11:34 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
I don't really care as long as they don't heal for me. Or think they need to heal the tank if he/she is low on hp as if I can't handle it myself. I had one that qued as dps and healed also so I was bored to death. :(
Reply Quote
100 Troll Priest
I can barely do 80k dps.

A lot for a 5men heroic, but crap for a DPS of my ilvl.

And that's a mid geared person. A fresh 90 in 496 will do, what, 30k?

I don't think it's respectful with the people you queue with.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
01/17/2014 11:34 PMPosted by Suplift
Wouldn't it be more logical to queue as healer. Only now you have another dps, making the dungeon go even faster

This is probably the most valid point.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
01/18/2014 02:57 PMPosted by Allexia

This is probably the most valid point.

Eh, in some I did more damage as disc than the actual dps :P And that was without my current raiding gear.

Granted, I still wouldn't queue as DPS as a healer. I just don't think it's fair to the actual healer.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Warlock
Why wouldn't they just Q as Heals so there's effectively 4 dps?

That just seems like an annoyance.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]