Free 90 - goblin starter?

I have a reserved name (Tyrion) and he's currently a 23 hunter, but I'm gonna witch him at some point but dont wanna do the starter area, so I think I'll wait to get a free 90... but what will happen then? Do I do the starter as a 90? Is it a one time free skip? If a Blue could respond that'd be amazing!
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
There is a instant 90 starter type area, so Goblins, DK's and Pandarens will presumably start there as well as DK's.

The zone has been said to be like the DK starter zone as far as giving you abilites over the course of doing the zone.
Reply Quote
Oh, thanks! I hadn't heard of this, I didnt want to lose the name or have to do that whole zone again.
Reply Quote
27 Goblin Hunter
Look dawg this place aint big enough for the both of us
Reply Quote
25 Goblin Hunter
01/18/2014 02:31 PMPosted by Tyyrion
Look dawg this place aint big enough for the both of us

Double y's.. PATHETIC!

For real, nice name.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Shaman
01/18/2014 02:16 PMPosted by Fairadey

The zone has been said to be like the DK starter zone as far as giving you abilites over the course of doing the zone.

My biggest concerns on this is mainly:

1) Is it going to teach how to play certain roles? Such as tanking and healing?
2) Is it going to be a lot more in depth than the DK starting zone?

If you've ever been through the DK starting zone, it isn't exactly thorough at showing you how to play a DK. Especially given that you have tons and tons of skills to learn at 90- more so than at 55.

I think if we knew for sure that it'll be thorough, myself and others would stop talking about this.
Edited by Jujubiju on 1/18/2014 3:50 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
01/18/2014 03:49 PMPosted by Jujubiju

My biggest concerns on this is mainly:

1) Is it going to teach how to play certain roles? Such as tanking and healing?
2) Is it going to be a lot more in depth than the DK starting zone?

If you've ever been through the DK starting zone, it isn't exactly thorough at showing you how to play a DK. Especially given that you have tons and tons of skills to learn at 90- more so than at 55.

I think if we knew for sure that it'll be thorough, myself and others would stop talking about this.

I think it will give you a basic understanding of a dps role imho. I'm okay with that because players who want to be good players will learn about their class and specs before they head into instanced group content with strangers.

Please who are not concerned with being good tend to stay that way despite 90 levels.

I'm actually more worried about the player who does a darn good job 98% of the time will be abused horribly for making a mistake or two and how people are going to assume anyone who makes one single mistake or asks one single question is on a instant 90.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Shaman
01/18/2014 03:56 PMPosted by Fairadey
I think it will give you a basic understanding of a dps role imho. I'm okay with that because players who want to be good players will learn about their class and specs before they head into instanced group content with strangers.

And that's where we are going to run into issues if that's the case.

Imagine a brand spanking new player, and they decide to buy the free 90 and find out that queuing as a tank/healer is the fastest way to get into a dungeon. Do you want to be the dps or the tank/healer in that type of situation?

When leveling, you get your stuff in a certain order- meaning you learn as you go. Even for someone that's been SoR'd, they have a general remembrance of how to play. RAF, they have I forget how many levels now until they can grant themselves levels, which means they still learn as they go.

Not having it set in a way that can teach a new player that decided to purchase a 90 a way to play the healing/tank role is a bad idea.

With a vet, it's slightly different- at least if you've been playing a while and have at least leveled up every class up to a certain level. We have a general idea of how to play other classes and know exactly where to go for outside resources (Bliz isn't exactly great at pointing out the various resources to people).

(That's why I keep saying they really need to have restrictions on it. Because things like what I stated do effect other peoples game play.)

(Note: I really hate where the edit button is now.)
Edited by Jujubiju on 1/18/2014 4:07 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
01/18/2014 04:04 PMPosted by Jujubiju
Imagine a brand spanking new player, and they decide to buy the free 90 and find out that queuing as a tank/healer is the fastest way to get into a dungeon. Do you want to be the dps or the tank/healer in that type of situation?

I'm actually very tolerant of new players and mistakes in dungeons. So it won't bother me. I'm less tolerant of the people who screw around with the group on purpose and I wouldn't consider someone with a instant 90 to be doing that. As long as the person is open to some coaching it should be fine.

01/18/2014 04:04 PMPosted by Jujubiju
Not having it set in a way that can teach a new player that decided to purchase a 90 a way to play the healing/tank role is a bad idea.
I for one would like to see the starter zone for instant 90's cover all the basics of each spec and role. I just can't see Blizzard putting that much time and effort into it.
Edited by Fairadey on 1/18/2014 4:13 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Shaman
01/18/2014 04:12 PMPosted by Fairadey
I'm actually very tolerant of new players and mistakes in dungeons. So it won't bother me. I'm less tolerant of the people who screw around with the group on purpose and I wouldn't consider someone with a instant 90 to be doing that. As long as the person is open to some coaching it should be fine.

I'm extremely tolerant myself, however, even I have a point in which enough is enough. And yes, I know how I am coming off. But you should know by now I very rarely complain about groups I've been in or even new players.

My breaking point is where it turns into an almost consistent problem- one of the reasons I hate doing the BC dungeons anymore is because of DK tanks. Just about every DK tank I have ever had across my healers has just been an extremely unpleasant experience. I don't mind healing them at the much later level's, however, the second they get out of the starting zone, it's an issue.

And a majority of that has to do with inexperience. Right around the mid-LK dungeons is when it starts to get better for a DK tank because by then they have a better understanding of what they are doing.

But, DK's at least have XX amount of levels to finally get it. We're talking about players that have a starting zone to figure out what they are doing before hitting the new dungeons.

If this starting zone doesn't have a good way for a player- any player for that matter- learn how to tank/heal, it's going to be an issue.

01/18/2014 04:12 PMPosted by Fairadey
I for one would like to see the starter zone for instant 90's cover all the basics of each spec and role. I just can't see Blizzard putting that much time and effort into it.

Exactly what my concern is. They didn't exactly do a wonderful job when it comes to PG's to be honest (they tried, but a lot of the stuff the NPC's do in PG's, I don't think I've ever run across more than once or twice).

Believe it or not, this is the biggest reason I don't like the purchasable 90's idea unless there are restrictions. Sure, we have the occasional clueless max level player, but it's not that often (at least for me).
Edited by Jujubiju on 1/18/2014 4:35 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
01/18/2014 04:30 PMPosted by Jujubiju
I'm extremely tolerant myself, however, even I have a point in which enough is enough. And yes, I know how I am coming off. But you should know by now I very rarely complain about groups I've been in or even new players.

You're one of the posters I respect. You make well thought out posts and you refrain from being nasty to others, so I suspect your posting mindset translates well into the game itself. I've been known to tweet out links to your threads asking people to chime in.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]