New Character Models and Graphic Performance

1 Undead Rogue
01/23/2014 03:44 PMPosted by Diabolicute

I have a hard time believing that you have the slightest idea what you are talking about..
Like at all.

Thanks for your "contribution" and I mean that in the loosest sense of the word.

Armour - OK only the head, robes and boots really - does cover up parts of the model. What isn't seen, isn't rendered. If the helm covers the whole head, the face underneath isn't drawn. When you wear a robe, you legs aren't drawn - don't believe me, go check it yourself.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Rogue
01/23/2014 02:59 PMPosted by Jialian
Walk into a town full of pandaren, observe what happens.

If you're fine then, you should be fine with the model refresh too!

This is a very concise and true answer. The purpose of new models is to bring their graphic quality up to the pandaren level. If you can handle a town full of pandaren you can handle a town of WoD models.
Reply Quote
24 Night Elf Priest
01/23/2014 03:36 PMPosted by Bashiok
Would it be possible to include the old models as a option so that users with older computers can opt out if the new models do cause some frame-rate lag.

That's of course something we've considered as a fail-safe, but again just don't know quite yet.

Hold up! Didn't a developer at BlizzCon say that Blizzard was indeed going to offer that option anyway?
Reply Quote
10 Troll Warlock
01/23/2014 03:12 PMPosted by Bashiok
. Moving us forward graphically in such a dramatic way with the new models is going to require a lot of testing, tweaking

....I read that as "twerking" and had the horrible vision of the CM team twerking for the animation team as reference for new dances.

By the way, if you guys ever.. um.. actually video such.. um, home sourced reference you should totally post it on Youtube for us.
Reply Quote
100 Human Rogue
01/23/2014 03:34 PMPosted by Venetiâ
This is one ofthe reasons wow is still so popular. You can play it on a older system. My question is how many more yrs do you all think that will be availible to gamers that have lower end machines for gaming. eventually they will have to upgrade.

The mop graphical updates made many of those lowend systems get pretty low fps. Even solo in if you compare a mop zone to wrath or cata zone there is a large fps difference. And its also like this if you compare raids too.

I'd say most older systems mop will be there limit with wod updates it will probably drop fps to low if the zones and raids get even more updated than mop ones on top of the new models.

But given what you said being true they will likely do something to try and make it work with old pc's too.
Reply Quote
93 Human Paladin
Raise the minimum specs and move forward... at some point you are not doing the people with old computers any favors as they are missing out on a lot of the game. I had an old computer, sure WoW "worked" but I was pissed to see how much better it worked (and looked) on a modern computer... I would have updated my PC much earlier.
Reply Quote
01/23/2014 03:36 PMPosted by Bashiok
That's of course something we've considered as a fail-safe, but again just don't know quite yet.

Please don't give us that garish/nasty gnome model...I like how I look now, thank you
Reply Quote
1 Undead Rogue
Raise the minimum specs and move forward... at some point you are not doing the people with old computers any favors as they are missing out on a lot of the game. I had an old computer, sure WoW "worked" but I was pissed to see how much better it worked (and looked) on a modern computer... I would have updated my PC much earlier.

They aren't doing it for us. They are doing it for their own wallet.
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
100 Gnome Warrior
01/23/2014 04:00 PMPosted by Tempcharac

Potentially shutting out part of their customer base improves the bottom line... how?

Come on. Just one positive thought, Temp.
Reply Quote
93 Human Paladin
01/23/2014 04:01 PMPosted by Crepe

Potentially shutting out part of their customer base improves the bottom line... how?

1. Setting a minimum performance bar reduces development and testing costs.
2. Sure you may lose people, but you will likely gain people as well as the game is able to keep up technically with it's competitors.
Reply Quote
93 Human Paladin
For example, the game looked like crap on my old computer... I almost quit because it just seemed clunky and old. I upgraded and no I am amazed how detailed and amazing the graphics are. Sometimes offering a low end option can hurt you more than help... all products need a minimum level of quality of experience or you can hurt your own brand.
Edited by Zoltan on 1/23/2014 4:08 PM PST
Reply Quote
1 Undead Rogue

Exactly.

I'm trying. I'm trying.

I'm like the Scorpion in The Scorpion and the Frog. It's against my very nature.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Death Knight
This game can do with some high end graphics! I mean, you think someone would be able to get a new PC after 8 years.
Reply Quote
93 Human Paladin
There is a reason why Honda doesn't make a $2500 car with no doors and has to be pushed up hills. It's because it hurts the overall brand more than any potential customers they may lose by not providing that option.

I am not saying you move to the bleeding edge ... but supporting 8 year old hardware is a bit extreme.
Edited by Zoltan on 1/23/2014 4:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage

There comes a point when you need to decide to either;

- Graphically improve your game to keep up with the advancement of technology
or;
- Hold back on graphical updates to protect the people who are utilizing the lowest denominator

It's a tough decision regardless and I in no way envy who has to make it, but if I was absolutely required to pick I would choose the former. It's 2014, technology is constantly improving. You need to either adapt, or get left behind. You in no way need to get top of the line supercomputers, but you also can't hold up technological advancements because you haven't upgraded in 8+ years.
Edited by Jazzai on 1/23/2014 4:25 PM PST
Reply Quote
1 Troll Shaman
01/23/2014 03:42 PMPosted by Tempcharac

It will be a fail-safe in more ways than one - fail-safe against both technical and artistic failure.

You're !@#$ing unreal lol

I can't believe the hate I'm seeing from the new character models.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Death Knight
01/23/2014 04:24 PMPosted by Jazzai
You need to either adapt, or get left behind.

Exactly.
Reply Quote
1 Undead Rogue

It will be a fail-safe in more ways than one - fail-safe against both technical and artistic failure.

You're !@#$ing unreal lol

I can't believe the hate I'm seeing from the new character models.

LOL. The feeling is mutual.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
01/23/2014 04:00 PMPosted by Tempcharac

The fact that you think this is some ploy to get more money is hilarious. The game is 10 years old, they are updating the graphics. 99% of CPUs made in the past few years will be able to handle it easily. As long as you have a decent GPU, you'll be fine.
Edited by Graviity on 1/23/2014 4:35 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]