New Character Models and Graphic Performance

90 Human Paladin
I was running on an Intel E2200 which is roughly 6 years old... and the CPU was the bottle neck. Updated to a i5 4440 with the same video card and everything is running 100x better.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
01/23/2014 03:42 PMPosted by Tempcharac

That's of course something we've considered as a fail-safe, but again just don't know quite yet.

It will be a fail-safe in more ways than one - fail-safe against both technical and artistic failure.

It is quite sad that you felt the need to create a temp charac named Tempcharac just to troll something insulting. Your pathos mode of pursuasion is only outdone by your bravery.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
01/23/2014 03:12 PMPosted by Bashiok
Fun fact, the game still supports processors and graphics cards that were released over 8 years ago.
Yes, I was playing on one

/crawls into corner crying
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
http://media.mmo-champion.com/images/news/2014/january/newHF03.jpg

Apparently, the human females also got a nice boob job!

Kudos Blizz!
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
90 Human Priest
01/23/2014 03:42 PMPosted by Tempcharac
It will be a fail-safe in more ways than one - fail-safe against both technical and artistic failure.

Heh. Fun fact - we used to have round eyes for humans. Then with the first character model update they were changed to polygonal eyes for speedups. Apparently it was easier on the hardware to draw and shade a polygon than a circle/sphere (fewer points of gradient). Sadly, the speedup cost us in terms of aesthetics.

I miss my round eyes. And my avatar...again.

Oh, and I wouldn't call those anime eyes. They're more like "Final Fantasy" eyes.
Caution: This cookie bites back.
Edited by Tiapriestess on 1/23/2014 4:43 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
I just hope my Sandy system is up to the task, I may upgrade to broadwell if it is more then 5% faster then sandy.
hoping 30%.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
My first laptop used to overheat in any TK instance due to the transparant floors. It'd lock and freeze before I could finish the trash after the mage in Mech.

My computer now is 2 years old. I've replaced the graphics card and power supply. I run on ultra with 30 fps now in the world, but usually around 60 in a raid environment. I don't really notice, but I'm surprised it's so low right now (I'm at half hill).

Anyway, I'm stoked for new graphics. I made this toon a panda because of how crappy everything else looked. I can't wait to be dranei again with a decent look, animations, and a racial that isn't a complete stat loss or a useless 20% HoT.

I'm running a 2.67GhZ Pentium on 64 bits with 9 GB RAM and GTX 660ti I think. I also have an SSD, RAM Caches, and bus speeds which were the best I could get at the time. I'm STOKED for new character models.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Oh, and I wouldn't call those anime eyes. They're more like "Final Fantasy" eyes.

I just made a toon in that game, I'm a level 5 cat-person archer. I do feel the character has the look and feel of a Japanese person.

Are you telling me you think we're turning Japanese? I think we're turning Japanese. I really think so.
Edited by Firestyle on 1/23/2014 4:47 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Another example of why supporting the lowest common denominator is a bad idea. Did you know that some critical effects do not draw at all at 'low' settings? For example... Lei Shen... his lightning whip will not draw any effects on the floor indicating where it is going to hit. How many raids has this wiped and wasted people's time because people were killed due to having their graphics set to 'low'.?

Also, I found several quests in Pandaria that could not be completed with 'low' settings because critical graphic effects do not draw. At some point with a game like this everyone needs to be seeing the same thing.
Reply Quote
1 Undead Rogue
01/23/2014 04:33 PMPosted by Graviity
The fact that you think this is some ploy to get more money is hilarious. The game is 10 years old, they are updating the graphics. 99% of CPUs made in the past few years will be able to handle it easily. As long as you have a decent GPU, you'll be fine.

Did you even read the post I was replying to?

01/23/2014 04:39 PMPosted by Kyraz
It is quite sad that you felt the need to create a temp charac named Tempcharac just to troll something insulting. Your pathos mode of pursuasion is only outdone by your bravery.

HA! This character was created to petition a GM way back to restore some characters when i came back after a long break. Somehow he has ended up as my forum character. /shrug

Heh. Fun fact - we used to have round eyes for humans. Then with the first character model update they were changed to polygonal eyes for speedups. Apparently it was easier on the hardware to draw and shade a polygon than a circle/sphere (fewer points of gradient). Sadly, the speedup cost us in terms of aesthetics.

I miss my round eyes. And my avatar...again.

Caution: This cookie bites back.

I'm not so concern about the eyes of the new models I have seen so far - the human female actually looks OK; but I don't play one so my opinion on that isn't worth much.

But I'm devastated by what they did with the male gnomes. They now look like Steve Buscemi. :/ Don't think I can play my gnome like that. My BE is my only other character, so if his remodel goes south too ...
Edited by Tempcharac on 1/23/2014 4:53 PM PST
Reply Quote
Will the item squish improve performance?
Reply Quote
100 Orc Death Knight
And people complain about not getting a new class or race lol. This is no small undertaking.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Shaman
Do you lag wile playing a Panda or are around Pandas, basically the same deal.. you'll be fine
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Hunter
01/23/2014 02:59 PMPosted by Jialian
Walk into a town full of pandaren, observe what happens.

If you're fine then, you should be fine with the model refresh too!

Yeah, people forget that while the older models were turning outdated, the whole world around them was being updated.
If you can play without problem NOW, the impact on the performance will be MINIMAL then.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Death Knight
I don't this this'll really affect me as I'm getting a new computer soon anyway....

I'll save this for further reading.
Reply Quote
91 Troll Druid
01/23/2014 03:36 PMPosted by Bashiok
Would it be possible to include the old models as a option so that users with older computers can opt out if the new models do cause some frame-rate lag.

That's of course something we've considered as a fail-safe, but again just don't know quite yet.

While it would be undesirable if someone couldn't play because of new models being overwhelming for their PC, I hope they don't do this. I would much prefer to see only new character models not the old ones. That's a little bit selfish but I think it would be better for the game overall.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Rogue
01/23/2014 08:43 PMPosted by Buu
Yeah, people forget that while the older models were turning outdated, the whole world around them was being updated.
If you can play without problem NOW, the impact on the performance will be MINIMAL then.

Probably right but if that was the case the blue probably would have said the same thing but didn't. One thing you do have to remember is what the min requirements are they have listed its laughably low.

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/world-of-warcraft-system-requirements

Honestly I don't know how someone could run wow right now on the min requirements.
Reply Quote
1 Undead Rogue
01/23/2014 11:04 PMPosted by Gank

Probably right but if that was the case the blue probably would have said the same thing but didn't. One thing you do have to remember is what the min requirements are they have listed its laughably low.

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/world-of-warcraft-system-requirements

Honestly I don't know how someone could run wow right now on the min requirements.

There are lies, damned lies and there is WoW's min requirements. /shrug
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight

While it would be undesirable if someone couldn't play because of new models being overwhelming for their PC, I hope they don't do this. I would much prefer to see only new character models not the old ones. That's a little bit selfish but I think it would be better for the game overall.

You realize the fail safe would only be on the users end most likely. Meaning if you had it on, all you would see is the old models, while people who don't have it on would only see the new ones.

Otherwise I wouldn't see much point in the fail safe if it didn't work like that.
Edited by Moosiphur on 1/23/2014 11:24 PM PST
Reply Quote
93 Draenei Priest
01/23/2014 04:41 PMPosted by Whoops
Fun fact, the game still supports processors and graphics cards that were released over 8 years ago.
Yes, I was playing on one

/crawls into corner crying
When I started playing, it was on a third hand laptop that got around 11 FPS.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]