New Character Models and Graphic Performance

50 Night Elf Druid
01/24/2014 05:31 AMPosted by Galexiia
Even top end gaming systems i mean $1000 + machines have a hard time running wow in 25 mans at max settings.

My machine is far from top end and I don't have this issue. I also have tons of addons. Optimizing Windoze for your machine seems to help.

If people are going to cry about needing a 2008 PC to play a 2014 game, then maybe Blizzard should look at other options to reduce performance problems that don't interfere with character upgrades.

Examples off the top of my head:

1. Options for toning down or making other player's spell effects invisible. One reason I can't get into melee is because it can be hard to see what's going on around the boss's butt when it's constantly surrounded by flashing lights, puddles of bad, and various traps/AOE/etc. This would have dual benefits.

2. We have "load objects in the distance" (slider?) option now. They could also have an option to cap how many players immediately load in a zone, like the Shrine for instance. Or, they are initially blurred but slowly render on your screen. I'm not sure how to explain but I have noticed that Tera does this in town. I don't think it's necessary but it may be helpful for those running on a potato.

3. I hate to say it... but make more liberal use of phasing/CRZ in outdoor areas or town by putting harsher caps on how many players are in an area. Dalaran was laggy for some because both horde and alliance were crammed in there. Blizzard has since moved away from this, which helped.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
01/24/2014 03:11 AMPosted by Breadisfunny

enjoy the 2million sub game.

I don't think that many would quit. It'll force people to finally upgrade and bring about people who wouldn't play before because the game's graphics are crap compared to other games out there that are better, F2P even.

Console game developers aren't going to keep making PS3 games for you when they can make PS4 games. It forces upgrade.

Deal with it.
Edited by Zarkraz on 1/24/2014 6:02 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Rogue

enjoy the 2million sub game.

I don't think that many would quit. It'll force people to finally upgrade and bring about people who wouldn't play before because the game's graphics are crap compared to other games out there that are better, F2P even.

Console game developers aren't going to keep making PS3 games for you when they can make PS4 games. It forces upgrade.

Deal with it.

You are living in the last century. Only large institutions (businesses, governments, schools and universities) and students need laptop/desktop PCs nowadays.

Everyone else only needs their cell phone or tablet/phablet. It's a mobile new world. PCs are becoming luxuries.
Edited by Notagin on 1/24/2014 6:17 AM PST
Reply Quote
50 Night Elf Druid
01/24/2014 06:18 AMPosted by Solarnova
There should be a check box in the graphics menu that allows reverting to the old models due to performance issues, sort of like how you can go back to the old water environmental look through that menu as well.

I couldn't imagine the framerate hit in a 25 or 40 man raid with models that individually sport over 4000 polygons instead of 500-1000.

Blizzard needs to take the above into consideration.

They posted about this in this thread.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/11422602154#15
Reply Quote
50 Night Elf Druid
01/24/2014 06:22 AMPosted by Solarnova
Thanks, I don't think I'll be turning the new models off, cant' wait to see ours.

I posted yesterday that I'm pretty sure they are saving "perfection" for night elves.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
01/24/2014 06:15 AMPosted by Notagin

You are living in the last century. Only large institutions (businesses, governments, schools and universities) and students need laptop/desktop PCs nowadays.

Everyone else only needs their cell phone or tablet/phablet. It's a mobile new world. PCs are becoming luxuries.

OK, so if PCs are luxuries and WoW is running on it, that makes it a luxury also. If you can't keep up with the average PC for it, sorry you have no right to hold the game back.

I doubt you'd be caught with some crummy old phone from 5-10 years ago, you'd update that thing every two years on your super expensive plan. You want those latest apps. It forces upgrade. If you want to call mobiles/cells a necessity fine, but tablets are not, those are more or less still a luxury.

You are only being selfish asking devs to hold back the game when everyone else is trying to move forward.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
01/24/2014 06:18 AMPosted by Solarnova
There should be a check box in the graphics menu that allows reverting to the old models due to performance issues, sort of like how you can go back to the old water environmental look through that menu as well.

I couldn't imagine the framerate hit in a 25 or 40 man raid with models that individually sport over 4000 polygons instead of 500-1000.

Blizzard needs to take the above into consideration.

Where's the check box for Pandaren? and Worgen? and Goblin?

They all have high polygon counts. What would happen if your whole raid was Pandaren? Are you going to ask to make an older looking model for them?
Edited by Zarkraz on 1/24/2014 6:54 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
My machine is far from top end and I don't have this issue. I also have tons of addons. Optimizing Windoze for your machine seems to help.

On max setings in a raid COMBAT setting there isnt a computer out there that can consistantly sit at 60fps.

Most PC's at that price point can dip to 20 fps which isnt that great...its only going to get worse with world boss fights and zones with heavy population once everyone is rocking 4 times the poly counts on there toon.

WoW doesnt support SLI all that well so you can even notice drops in fps when using multiple GPUs. This has been getting slowly worse since BC. Whats the point in increasing texture details if those with new and decent gaming rigs have to turn there settings down because of how poorly optimized the game is.
Reply Quote
87 Human Death Knight
01/23/2014 03:12 PMPosted by Bashiok

Fun fact, the game still supports processors and graphics cards that were released over 8 years ago. To put that in other terms, modern day systems are in some cases 50x more powerful than the lowest end systems the game still supports.

And yet I drop to 8 fps on Iron Qon when I can run Tomb Raider with everything except Lara's uberhair at 45+ fps. Halp.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
01/24/2014 05:17 AMPosted by Sweetspring

Heh. Fun fact - we used to have round eyes for humans. Then with the first character model update they were changed to polygonal eyes for speedups. Apparently it was easier on the hardware to draw and shade a polygon than a circle/sphere (fewer points of gradient). Sadly, the speedup cost us in terms of aesthetics.

I miss my round eyes. And my avatar...again.

Oh, and I wouldn't call those anime eyes. They're more like "Final Fantasy" eyes.
Caution: This cookie bites back.

I remember this, and I agree they looked better than what we have now.

Also, WTB the name Sephiroth on my server for when BEs get a makeover. I can almost make his clone now, just think how much closer he'll be with a little bit of an upgrade!

Seriously, though. It's about time for WoW to move on to 2010 graphics. The new models don't look on par with the lastest MMO player characters, but they're a heck of a lot closer.

Model updates will help attract new players, IMO. I've had 2 friends pick up the WoW free trial and not make it past level 10 because "why bother, it looks just like Runescape".

i agree i just returned from a break where i played rift for about a year, my first thoughts upon returning to level a new charecter is all the armor and gear before cata look pretty much like runescape.. well WoTLK gear isnt so bad but its still ugly .

if WoW didnt update their player models they would have a hard time pulling players from other games and would be stuck tryiing to maintain subs from the people who have always played wow... at least if they update the models and graphics a little they can maybe start pulling new players again, maybe even some from other games..

but yeah if they try to cater to people with 1940s computers for the rest of this games history it will be significantly shorter than if they kept their tech within a 5 year range of all other tech
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Rogue
01/24/2014 06:38 AMPosted by Zarkraz
01/24/2014 06:15 AMPosted by Notagin

OK, so if PCs are luxuries and WoW is running on it, that makes it a luxury also. If you can't keep up with the average PC for it, sorry you have no right to hold the game back.

I doubt you'd be caught with some crummy old phone from 5-10 years ago, you'd update that thing every two years on your super expensive plan. You want those latest apps. It forces upgrade. If you want to call mobiles/cells a necessity fine, but tablets are not, those are more or less still a luxury.

You are only being selfish asking devs to hold back the game when everyone else is trying to move forward.

It's a business decision for Blizzard to make. They can cater to the top end luxury PC market with fewer subs or water down the system requirements for more mainstream audiences as they do now. If they decide it is a luxury market product, I would imagine that they would have to increase the monthly subscription rate to recoup any revenue losses due to the smaller subscriber base.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
01/23/2014 03:12 PMPosted by Bashiok
We don't, and we tend not to have updated system requirements/recommendations until most content is in, most big changes and engineering are done, and we're looking like there isn't going to be anything else that would greatly affect performance. So we won't really know absolutely until some point through the beta. We're keenly aware of the system requirements the new character models may require, and how that could impact client performance. No further details yet on how they'll be supported on lower end systems, if at all.Fun fact, the game still supports processors and graphics cards that were released over 8 years ago. To put that in other terms, modern day systems are in some cases 50x more powerful than the lowest end systems the game still supports. Moving us forward graphically in such a dramatic way with the new models is going to require a lot of testing, tweaking, optimizing, and determination of what we can realistically support going forward, but we just don't know what that will look like yet.

Thanks for the update. After having seen the character model changes, I resolved to save for a machine which can handle current WoW on Ultra settings. Half way there :)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
01/24/2014 04:48 AMPosted by Tempcharac
01/24/2014 04:45 AMPosted by Goretex
This is good to hear, because I'm on a strict budget, and have a g4 family chipset that came with my computer in 2010 lol. So I don't know when I'll be able to upgrade my graphics card(chipset).

Here is the annoying thing about video card upgrades, each generation gets more and more power hungry such that to upgrade to a new video card you have to upgrade your power supply too - and personally that is something I rather not touch as crappy power supplies will fry your PC's components.

...um then don't cheap out on a power supply. I always go higher on it in case I want to upgrade stuff. An 800w will handle everything fine (as long as you aren't using SLI), and you can get them for like $80, probably cheaper if you can find a good deal.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
01/23/2014 02:59 PMPosted by Jialian
Walk into a town full of pandaren, observe what happens.

If you're fine then, you should be fine with the model refresh too!

That's actually a very good advice. Find a high pop realm, preferably one already conected, log in on peak hours and start a pandaren. Starting area is full of new graphics and shinies that it will test out your computer. Or you can just gather a mostly pandaren players group and queue for LFR then start AOEing everything. That will truly test your graphics card.

Hmmm i wish Razer gets done with their project Christine before WoD comes out ...or an updated Blade with color options for the lighting lol! My poor Macbook is getting too old for WoW. :(
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
01/24/2014 07:59 AMPosted by Notagin

It's a business decision for Blizzard to make. They can cater to the top end luxury PC market with fewer subs or water down the system requirements for more mainstream audiences as they do now. If they decide it is a luxury market product, I would imagine that they would have to increase the monthly subscription rate to recoup any revenue losses due to the smaller subscriber base.

You make me laugh. You call it a luxury, fine, but now you call it top end. That's just absurd.

Not even I would spend money on some super PC that wouldn't even make full use of to run WoW. The game needs jack all to run on ultra settings, unless you want some stupid shadows on ultra and maintain frame rate. Go do some multi card config then.

Here's the best part, I only said average PC, which is like fair-good setting. What company is going to have some restricted ultra only setting on their games. Ultra isn't for everyone and isn't what I'm saying everyone needs to be capable of, its not being able to even maintain low and asking devs to hold back on advancement.

You can only cater for the low end for so long, until you just have to let it go.

Ohh and please, stop talking crap about subs, if you really wanted to play this game, you'd make the effort to keep playing. If anything the game is dying due to the lack of graphical upgrades to its competition, tac on being a sub game as well, since F2P is what everyone wants this game to be. "They make MORE than enough through the store."

What utter garbage.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]