New Character Models and Graphic Performance

1 Orc Shaman
the game engine really needs to be updated as its so unoptimized

i recently built myself a machine for about 850 ~ USD (fx8350, hd 7950) and while running the game on ultra CPU usage is high on two cores while the other 6 just sit there and my graphics card usage is around 30%...
Edited by Yoloswegqtxo on 1/30/2014 4:27 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
To be honest is this really even a bad thing? It might sound a bit harsh, but if a small minority group needs to purchase a new rig, yet the vast majority gets well improved graphics and a much cooler looking game, I'm pretty sure I'd want the graphics.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
01/23/2014 02:47 PMPosted by Vanarela
01/23/2014 02:21 PMPosted by Tempcharac
There should be no impact as the new models will be hided by armour 99% of the time. Basically, the new models are just to bring them up to the poly count of the current armour.

You have no idea what you're talking about. The vast majority of armour is just a two-dimensional texture plastered onto our models. The only exceptions are helms, shoulders, and some boots, gloves, and belts. Your model is never "hidden." You're essentially naked with spray paint all over your body. Your characters polygons and animations are always rendered, meaning if you increase polygon count, it's going to affect performance significantly. 3D models are very taxing to render as it stands. You can bet it's going to significantly affect performance when you triple their bones and polygons.

As a matter of fact, being that blizzard does an excellent job at optimizing their games. the mesh below the armor is NOT rendered. This is easily done in any 3D modeling program, and im pretty certain that blizzard would'nt cut that corner.

oh, and the armor is actually a polygonized mesh that was created on specific races as a base, anything that cant be seen, is not there. (Ex. the inside of walls.)

Source - in school working on my 3D Modeling & Animation Major.

*of course, exposed player meshes such as face/neck ect, are rendered.
Edited by Tankkillerz on 3/1/2014 7:24 AM PST
Reply Quote
94 Night Elf Warrior
I'm playing on good setting right now ranging around 30-40 FPS.

If push comes to shove, I'll just save up some money and buy a new computer. The people on the MMO-Champ forums are always willing to help with builds. I'd settle for being able to play on high setting and never having to go lower.

03/17/2014 01:27 PMPosted by Jujùjin
People need to stop being cheap and just upgrade there computers...

Sometimes people aren't being cheap. They might just plain not have $300+ to spend on a computer when they already have one that works just fine.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Rogue
I know that WoW is popular b ecause it can be run on older systems, but there comes a time to draw the line and decide just how old you're willing to support. It's a safe assumption that the requirements will go up, and those people that are using toasters are going to either have to deal with it or get a computer made in the last 10 years.
You can't keep an entire game in the dark ages (for games) because you're trying to play on a Pentium 75.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Rogue
Also, http://www.logicalincrements.com. You can get build or have someone else build a new computer for quite cheap.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
03/17/2014 04:11 PMPosted by Gwynafhar
those people that are using toasters are going to either have to deal with it or get a computer made in the last 10 years.

What if say, I use a microwave oven? Will my platform still be supported or would I have to upgrade?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
If your a gamer and cant spend $300 on upgrades then you need to find new hobbie... Or get a job so you can afford to play games like this.

This is so silly. Not having $300 you can instantly drop on computer upgrades does not mean you should stop being a gamer.

03/17/2014 04:11 PMPosted by Gwynafhar
I know that WoW is popular b ecause it can be run on older systems, but there comes a time to draw the line and decide just how old you're willing to support. It's a safe assumption that the requirements will go up, and those people that are using toasters are going to either have to deal with it or get a computer made in the last 10 years.
You can't keep an entire game in the dark ages (for games) because you're trying to play on a Pentium 75.

You're acting like Blizzard is saying "hey guys, we're not adding new character models. They're being scrapped so people with older computers don't have to deal with it."

Fact of the matter is, they're not saying anything of the sort. They're simply contemplating ways to help make it supported on lower end systems that don't take away from those who have decent computers.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I love how every time an xpac is in the making., the whiners fabricate stories like the new models causing problems. Guess if you don't like the concept of improved graphics in the game on your outdated computers, you have the option to play a free, low graphics quality game.
Wow is beautiful on my computer, and monitor, as WoD will be. I definitely look forward to all character model updates, and all WoD graphics updates. Warlords of destruction? Seriously ? You can always turn your grapics options to the lowest setting instead of starting unfounded rumors, fabrications just because you're a drama queen.

Keep up the good work Blizz.!
Reply Quote
100 Undead Death Knight
Will female undead finally have their main hand fist weapon straitened out?
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
the necros tho
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
The light shall burn you Necromancer!
Reply Quote
100 Undead Death Knight
serious question yet I get down voted on a long occuring issue.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]