5.4.7 Changes to Battle.net® chat

Community Manager
We want to give User Interface Add-On authors a heads up about a change in upcoming patch 5.4.7 (release date: TBD).

In patch 5.4.7, BattleTag™ or Real ID friends will only be able to send 10 chat messages every 10 seconds over Battle.net® chat. We’re adding a new way for User Interface Add-Ons to send communications information via a new send function and receive event.

Send function:
    BNSendGameData (presenceID, addonPrefix, message)
  • Prefix must be <= 16 bytes and cannot include a colon.
  • The message should be <= 4078 bytes. This is 4095 bytes minus the 16 byte prefix and an added colon separator.

Receive event:
    BN_CHAT_MSG_ADDON - prefix, text, “WHISPER”, senderToonID

In addition, User Interface Add-Ons are now also able to send and receive friend invites with a note.

• Send event: BNSendFriendInvite(<BattleTag™/account name>,<optional note>)
  • Receive event to see the note text: BNGetFriendInviteInfoByAddon(<index>)

• Edit: Updated total maximum message size to 4095 bytes (up from 255 bytes) in an upcoming PTR build.
    Edit 2: Added information for BNSendFriendInvite.
    Edited by Rygarius on 2/20/2014 12:36 PM PST
    Reply Quote
    MVP - Technical Support
    90 Human Warrior
    Oh happy happy day. Been needing this for well over a year. Oqueue did something useful and accelerated the demand :).

I especially love that you added a chat throttle in addition to api, to ensure mods are forced to get updated to new api and not be lazy about switching. :) Yay for cleaning out my bnet OQ spam. :)
    Reply Quote
    16 Gnome Warlock
    Looks like oQueue is going to require a major update in order to change functionality to work with the new game data sender instead of battle.net whispers

This is a great change - now I can be in WoW with oQueue on and play Hearthstone at the same time!
    Reply Quote
    MVP - Technical Support
    90 Human Warrior
    Yeah the biggest issue with OQ spam is it couldn't be filtered in OTHER games that don't support UI mods (diablo, hearthstone, sc2)..in wow, a lot of mods dealt with OQ filtering.
    Reply Quote
    90 Goblin Mage
    Great changes! Can't wait for them to be released! :D
    Reply Quote
    90 Troll Druid
    Thank god this will kill most OQ spam. I can play D3 without my friend list destryong chat finally.
    Reply Quote
    MVP - Technical Support
    90 Human Warrior
    01/27/2014 11:26 AMPosted by Rygarius

This seems kind of silly though. do we need to find presenceid and send it as first arg? shouldn't that automatically be included in sender info and api be BNSendGameData (addonPrefix, message)?

Seems silly to have to call apis to get own presenceid before being able to send a sync that in no way shape or form should actually need it.

EDIT nevermind, it's not an open channel it's one at a time thing, so it's target presence ID. that'll be annoying with 80 friends.
    Edited by Omegal on 1/27/2014 1:02 PM PST
    Reply Quote
    90 Human Hunter
    Well OQ won't be needed with Warlords.
    Reply Quote
    90 Draenei Shaman
    01/27/2014 12:38 PMPosted by Omegal
    01/27/2014 11:26 AMPosted by Rygarius

This seems kind of silly though. do we need to find presenceid and send it as first arg? shouldn't that automatically be included in sender info and api be BNSendGameData (addonPrefix, message)?

Seems silly to have to call apis to get own presenceid before being able to send a sync that in no way shape or form should actually need it.

I think that's the presenceID of the friend your sending it to just like BNSendWhisper()
    Reply Quote
    90 Troll Warlock
    Cool, cool. I don't think I'll be sending more than 10 messages in 10 seconds without OQueue.
    Reply Quote
    90 Human Warrior
    Oh happy days. Now the whisper spam on my Logitech G19s's LCD screen when I have OQ enabled will be gone!
    Edited by Thecheat on 1/27/2014 1:52 PM PST
    Reply Quote
    90 Pandaren Shaman
    01/27/2014 01:52 PMPosted by Thecheat
    Oh happy days. Now the whisper spam on my Logitech G19s's LCD screen when I have OQ enabled will be gone!

This has been driving me bonkers!
    Reply Quote
    90 Blood Elf Paladin
    Awesome change! Thank you!
    Reply Quote
    90 Blood Elf Paladin
    About time this OQ spam stops.
    Reply Quote
    90 Troll Death Knight
    Is this Battle.net "status updates" or is this chat as a whole?
    I see this as a negative for actual chat, but I think it'd be great to put a CD on people spamming "statuses" to everyone as a "global chat" with all friends...
    Reply Quote
    90 Human Paladin
    01/27/2014 12:45 PMPosted by Mabus

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Right now, blizz's raid finder is woefully behind in features comparied to OQ. If they don't give everything that the community wants with their new tool, I don't see many people changing to OQ, especially given its huge following already.
    Reply Quote
    90 Human Death Knight
    01/27/2014 03:47 PMPosted by Ishvara
    01/27/2014 12:45 PMPosted by Mabus

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Right now, blizz's raid finder is woefully behind in features comparied to OQ. If they don't give everything that the community wants with their new tool, I don't see many people changing to OQ, especially given its huge following already.

You realize the WoD group finder is a completely new tool that has nothing to do with the old raid finder right?
    Reply Quote
    90 Tauren Death Knight
    The message should be <= 238 bytes. This is 255 bytes minus the 16 byte prefix and an added colon separator.

is the message limited to 238 or is the combination of addonPrefix + message still limited to 255?
    Reply Quote
    90 Human Paladin
    01/27/2014 04:30 PMPosted by Varylian
    01/27/2014 03:47 PMPosted by Ishvara

You realize the WoD group finder is a completely new tool that has nothing to do with the old raid finder right?

I do. I also realize that if it doesn't have all of the popular features of OQ, that hardly anyone will use it. That's why I say don't write off OQ yet.
    Reply Quote
    90 Orc Shaman
    Lets keep the discussion to the new API features if at all possible :D. There are numerous other threads which have previously been derailed and are ripe for additional oQueue vs [Insert Group Finding Method Here] discussions.
    Edited by Ronburggundy on 1/27/2014 6:17 PM PST
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]