Why Warlords of "Draenor"?

100 Tauren Hunter
1) Warlords is undeniably Orc focused.
2) "Draenor" is the orc homeworld.
3) The Draenei arrive as exiles and name it Draenor which is Eredar for "Land of Exiles" or something.
4) The explanation is that orc's just called it "world" and adopted Draenor because they liked it better.
5) Seems it would be a big unifying thing for Garrosh to promote calling the orc homeworld something orcish.

So why not call it Warlords of "Gug"? Or whatever the orcish word for world is?

Much like calling Earth, Earth. Or even Terra, which is Latin for Earth.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
wait what? You're saying rename dreanor? yeah lets rename earth to because africans were here first si it should be called something african.........

thread/10
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
The dreanei landed on Dreanor about 25000 years ago which is a long time. Its likely that the orcs eventually adopted the dreanei word at some point and it just stuck. Languages evolve.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Might as well remove the draenei while we're at it I guess.
Reply Quote
84 Dwarf Paladin
01/29/2014 03:06 PMPosted by Faelar
Might as well remove the draenei while we're at it I guess.

Sounds good to me.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
01/29/2014 03:08 PMPosted by Falst
Sounds good to me.

...Oh. I wasn't expecting that response.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Hunter
Well yeah, we could do that. Which African language is the oldest and what is their word for Earth? Or perhaps we should call it "Ugh" or "Grunt" since guttural sounds were likely early forms of communication.

But wait, we're still all humans, and we all came from Africa so that isn't really the same.

How about this analogy:

The Martians land and rename earth Turd, because Turd in martian is "beautiful cradle of life."

Which is what the lore says the Draenei did: land on Gug and rename it Draenor. So it's original name, in orcish, would still be Gug. Or whatever the orcish word for world is, lol.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
01/29/2014 03:12 PMPosted by Hatauri
The Martians land and rename earth Turd, because Turd in martian is "beautiful cradle of life."

Except, wasn't Draenor lacking a name at the time?
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Hunter
No, the poor uncivilized tribal orcs just called it world. Velen and company, who are uncorrupted Eredar, called themselves Draenei and called the planet Draenor; which mean Exiles and Exiles Refuge, in apparently Eredari. The orcs later got civilized and adopted the name.

I'm equating the Orcish world for "world" with the European language based word "earth" which is simply what our ancestors called the planet. Or Terra if you were Latin. Although we also call dirt "earth".

The same parallel should hold true. The orcish word for world could also be their name for the world. And if we knew what that name was, it would seem a fitting rallying cry for a Xenophobic, time-traveling dictator.

Also: were the orcs aware of the existence of other worlds? Because if not, then their word for "world" could actually have been the name of the planet, and the concept of "worlds" would likely have been foreign to them.
Edited by Hatauri on 1/29/2014 3:23 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
01/29/2014 02:51 PMPosted by Hatauri
4) The explanation is that orc's just called it "world" and adopted Draenor because they liked it better.

IKR? Just imagine living on a world that was named after a common word for "dirt"! Even orcs aren't that unimaginative.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Personally I find it kind of arrogant to name a world that you don't belong to after your people instead of something about its characteristics.
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
100 Gnome Warrior
01/29/2014 03:29 PMPosted by Kaelgos
Personally I find it kind of arrogant to name a world that you don't belong to after your people instead of something about its characteristics.

Is there a world-naming etiquette book I missed somewhere?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid

I think Dreanor translates into something like "Exiles home" so in a way it does describe it as a home for the exiled Dreanei.

Before they came along the orcs just probably called it whatever "earth" is in orcish. The name Azeroth itself could just be another word for "earth" in some ancient human language long forgotten.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Priest

Well at the time the Orcs were more like barbarians so they didnt really care though i wonder what the Arrakoa and the Ogres (before they degenerated) called Draenor

Makes me wonder if the Legion (and Garrosh now) had not interfered, would the Orcs be as intelligent as the Eredar/Draenei at some point?
Edited by Ragnivald on 1/29/2014 3:41 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
01/29/2014 03:06 PMPosted by Farora
The dreanei landed on Dreanor about 25000 years ago which is a long time. Its likely that the orcs eventually adopted the dreanei word at some point and it just stuck. Languages evolve.

wrong....the draenei crashed some 200 years before the events of Rise of the Horde. Dont speculate next time.

Also they were on the run for 25000 years before they crashed on the orc homeworld.
Edited by Donnieyenne on 1/29/2014 3:44 PM PST
Reply Quote
55 Dwarf Death Knight
01/29/2014 03:31 PMPosted by Crepe

You have to have a flag.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Hunter
01/29/2014 03:39 PMPosted by Ragnivald
Well at the time the Orcs were more like barbarians so they didnt really care though i wonder what the Arrakoa and the Ogres

Same deal with us: dirt/earth eventually probably coming to refer to the whole planet dirt. So that heretofore undefined orcish word for "world" would still be their name for the planet.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
01/29/2014 03:31 PMPosted by Crepe

Well here on "Click-Click", we have a few rules that are followed..

Also, I think the person was trying to say egocentric, not arrogant. Therefore, according to the book, the name "Draenor" is suitable.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Priest
01/29/2014 03:55 PMPosted by Hatauri
01/29/2014 03:39 PMPosted by Ragnivald
Well at the time the Orcs were more like barbarians so they didnt really care though i wonder what the Arrakoa and the Ogres

Same deal with us: dirt/earth eventually probably coming to refer to the whole planet dirt. So that heretofore undefined orcish word for "world" would still be their name for the planet.

Well I think theres more info about Azeroth thanks to Titans than there were on Draenor.

Actually if it werent for the Titans all there would be on the planet intelligent enough would be trolls, pandaren and Tauren.
Edited by Ragnivald on 1/29/2014 4:01 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Hunter
01/29/2014 03:56 PMPosted by Nuliea
Well here on "Click-Click", we have a few rules that are followed..

I see what you did there. lol.

So if we found a habitable planet near Alpha Centauri, figured out how to get there, and found it inhabited we should call the inhabitants Centuaris" Or do we learn their language and their name for themselves?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]