Open Libram CVII: Love is in the Hair

90 Human Paladin
Air
The secret is out, i must vacate here at once.
90 Draenei Paladin
02/09/2014 08:36 PMPosted by Cayse
Zombies just aren't that dangerous.

The situations they create in a world overrun with them are. Struggling against the hordes or against the reality of a world that has ended is all well and good and entertaining.

Episodes upon episodes where it's just petty teen drama between various members of the group are not. Walking Dead goes whole clumps of episodes at a time where you can basically forget the world has ended and been overrun with walking corpses.

Might as well just remove zombies altogether from the series.

02/09/2014 09:20 PMPosted by Maebyfunke
if it's like WWZ the movie

Perhaps one of the single worst examples of a book to film adaptation of all time, Light it was horrid.

02/09/2014 09:03 PMPosted by Lobster
For reals though I don't know why people are legit afraid of zombies.

I think the premise of civilization collapsing is the scarier and more fascinating part of a zombie scenario, it's also more personal than other apocalypse scenarios since a virus will turn anyone you've ever cared about into a monster.

Good zombie works play off that well, just the sense of everyday normalcy shattering around you.

02/09/2014 09:03 PMPosted by Lobster
but scientifically there's 0 chance a real zombie horde is gonna drown civilization in blood.

A classic zombie that's a dead body maybe, but Infected style "zombies" aren't out of the realm of possibility ala 28 Days Later and Left 4 Dead.

Besides, over the centuries plenty of things have come to pass that man thought was scientifically impossible before.
Edited by Cadenbrie on 2/10/2014 8:27 AM PST
90 Human Paladin
02/10/2014 08:26 AMPosted by Cadenbrie
Perhaps one of the single worst examples of a book to film adaptation of all time, Light it was horrid.

I think Queen of the Damned or Starship Troopers are worse adaptations of the book. But man I love Starship Troopers, its so campy.

Morning Pally Crew

Speaking of Undead, my GF got me hooked on the True Blood show, its silly
90 Blood Elf Paladin
02/10/2014 08:26 AMPosted by Cadenbrie
02/09/2014 08:36 PMPosted by Cayse
Zombies just aren't that dangerous.

The situations they create in a world overrun with them are. Struggling against the hordes or against the reality of a world that has ended is all well and good and entertaining.

Episodes upon episodes where it's just petty teen drama between various members of the group are not. Walking Dead goes whole clumps of episodes at a time where you can basically forget the world has ended and been overrun with walking corpses.

You also can't continually be out in that world. It might work in a game where you're the only one, adventuring out in a ruined world but actual people aren't going to do that because they're going to want to separate themselves from it as much as possible.

That's why just about every zombie movie either starts or end at that point, because people want to establish normalcy. Or they Wild Bunch everyone just because.
90 Draenei Paladin
02/10/2014 10:23 AMPosted by Cayse
You also can't continually be out in that world.

Regardless of what people would and wouldn't do in an actual undead apocalypse a zombie fan comes to a piece of zombie fiction expecting it to revolve around actual struggles with the Undead/Infected or practical struggles created from that reality.

Walking Dead, at least up to where I left off watching when they were in the prison, dealt with little more than petty squabbles between people that could be set anywhere zombie apocalypse or otherwise.

In my opinion it's not a zombie show, it's just another TV drama that occasionally has an excuse for gory walking corpses to show up.

Maybe you think that's to be expected since Walking Dead has apparently "made it big" on TV and you believe traditional zombie stuff just can't do that for whatever reason but I find it pretty disappointing as a show because of it.

02/10/2014 09:31 AMPosted by Chaz
But man I love Starship Troopers, its so campy.

It was a fun movie. Although if I had ever read and was a fan of the novel I'd probably hate it rather than just being indifferent.

Because if the novel was trying to be any kind of serious the movie sure blew that out of the water. lol
90 Human Paladin
Well the director is known for his satire, he directed the original Robocop after all
90 Draenei Paladin
02/10/2014 12:26 PMPosted by Chaz
Well the director is known for his satire, he directed the original Robocop after all

Original Robocop was awesome.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
02/10/2014 10:38 AMPosted by Cadenbrie
02/10/2014 10:23 AMPosted by Cayse
You also can't continually be out in that world.

Regardless of what people would and wouldn't do in an actual undead apocalypse a zombie fan comes to a piece of zombie fiction expecting it to revolve around actual struggles with the Undead/Infected or practical struggles created from that reality.

Walking Dead, at least up to where I left off watching when they were in the prison, dealt with little more than petty squabbles between people that could be set anywhere zombie apocalypse or otherwise.

In my opinion it's not a zombie show, it's just another TV drama that occasionally has an excuse for gory walking corpses to show up.

Maybe you think that's to be expected since Walking Dead has apparently "made it big" on TV and you believe traditional zombie stuff just can't do that for whatever reason but I find it pretty disappointing as a show because of it.

It also hasn't changed since it made it big. The first two episodes of season one are just as much personal drama as anything in season three or four. The show just is about zombies in the same way that Mad Men is about advertising or Breaking Bad was about !@#$. They exist within the framework of the show, but they are just a vehicle to drive the personal drama; people going on with their lives.

Zombies really have a relatively short span of actually being threatening to a person who isn't an idiot, until you basically have what they established interrupted by petty personal squabbles. Even a lot of the older zombie genre is the same way. After the initial omgzomgies passes, people establish their lives. They settle down, and basically.. they'll stay that way, until something that's not a zombie interferes.

That's why "new" zombies aren't like traditional ones, because shambling mindless undead just aren't actually dangerous.
Edited by Cayse on 2/10/2014 1:21 PM PST
90 Blood Elf Paladin
02/10/2014 09:31 AMPosted by Chaz
I think Queen of the Damned or Starship Troopers are worse adaptations of the book. But man I love Starship Troopers, its so campy.

pfft, there is nothing camp about starship troopers, i think its one of the most underrated films ever made, especially when you consider it against the original book.

heinlein and verhoeven manage to get completely different things from same material, they are both talking to the same age group, and very little of the plot has change between the book and movie ( the addition of the love story is pretty much it) but the two stories are completely different.

its an interesting contrast when you consider how military science fiction has grown and changed between the original book and the movie, you have things like the forever war, armor, and ender game in between the two, and if those books hadn't existed verhoven's version would look a lot different.

02/10/2014 12:26 PMPosted by Chaz

they are remaking robocop.
dear god WHY?!
90 Draenei Paladin
02/10/2014 01:32 PMPosted by Vladja
they are remaking robocop.
dear god WHY?!

They have, and it's already out in cinemas or something.

And to answer WHY, MONEY.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Because the big money won't pay for anything that they don't know will make money, same reason TV is flooded with low budget reality bull!@#$.
90 Human Paladin
Actually Vlad, the film was made under a different title, they just slapped Starship Troopers on to it after the fact and made name changes for characters
90 Draenei Paladin
02/10/2014 01:17 PMPosted by Cayse
That's why "new" zombies aren't like traditional ones, because shambling mindless undead just aren't actually dangerous.

They're dangerous, but containable and circumventable. They are initially very destructive, until what remains of society fortifies itself and is able to establish itself. Past the initial shock imagery of the initial wave, the zombie genre becomes just another variation of post-apocalypse.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Exactly what I mean, and since Walking Dead starts long enough after the initial event that that part of the story is over.. what is left is one man's shock. It's a fair while before he sees anyone who hasn't basically established a reasonably safe and sustainable place for themselves.

Most zombie movies take place during the initial event, so you have more of the danger and shock. What would Night of the Living Dead be if the movie took place a year after, rather than that night? Months or even weeks after, a lot of the people who are left have sought out the safety of numbers and shelter, and are basically established in what could be described as a routine life again.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
02/10/2014 01:53 PMPosted by Chaz
Actually Vlad, the film was made under a different title, they just slapped Starship Troopers on to it after the fact and made name changes for characters

verhoeven didn't actually read starship troopers, he thought it was to depressing.
though its not actually a very depressing book, the ending is quite upbeat.
Edited by Vladja on 2/10/2014 2:33 PM PST
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Speaking of surprisingly enjoyable anime, D-frag is pretty great if you like crazy people in your animu.
87 Night Elf Druid
Hey Caden, happy valentines to you /wink
90 Human Paladin
I was for some reason expecting something to be posted in the last 13 hours, but oh well!

Anyway, that's a nice bit of art you've managed to crank out on your tumblr, lobs. I need to get off my butt and actually start doing work myself! I have been a lazy lazyface since I moved and can no longer scan work in, but that's really no excuse as I have a tablet. :S
90 Blood Elf Paladin
oh jesus i forgot you follow me lol

*art thing: http://i.imgur.com/McNmNnI.jpg

I said I like carrying people in LFR and someone responded with a picture of my paladin literally carrying them on his back and failing. Had to set things straight lol.

I CARRY U
Edited by Lobster on 2/11/2014 6:23 AM PST
90 Human Paladin
Air
You still need to carry my alts.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]