Warrior thinking about trying out a Paladin!

90 Worgen Warrior
Hi, guys!

So, I've been a warrior for almost a decade. I've played some classes casually on the side but my main has always been my warrior. I came back to WoW today for the first time since Mists came out, and I feel like experiencing the Horde for the first time. I know going in that I want to be melee plate. That's just the way I like to roll in RPGs. I like Death Knights but since they pretty much skip all the old world stuff, which I want to experience, they're off the table. So, I'm thinking about playing a paladin.

I leveled a paladin to about 50 or so back during Burning Crusade. I found it pretty dull. But I bet you guys are a whole new class now compared to how you were back then.

What is it like being a paladin? Is the combat satisfying? Is it fun to roam the world and do a ton of quests as a paladin? Since I won't just be rushing to the cap. Does the ability to fill all three combat roles make it more enjoyable? In your opinion, does playing a paladin require more or less skill than a warrior? Can you change up your approach to combat so that the class stays fresh, or is it just the same rotation forever?

Thanks for your time! :)
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
I agree that paladins felt really dull. Would be interested to hear what pallies think. Mine is only level 87.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
I agree that mages feel really dull.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I just came back to WoW in January and started a Monk. For some reason, I jumped back onto my 85 pally and realized how much I loved playing a pally. No, we don't do the best damage but for some reason, they are so fun. I don't know what it is that makes them so much fun but they are ( at least to me and some others).

So, in short, I say go for it.
Reply Quote
If you want to be bored and not do much dmg until you get above 550iL ret is for you. Unlike warriors ret scales higher with higher gear I do believe. Warriors seem to be fotm since 5.3 or something.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Death Knight
I randomly took up retribution again as an alt project and I had a lot of fun with it. The last time I played retribution was in TBC, it's come a long ways.

Retribution is a shadow of what it was in the past, it's been redone countless times, but the current incarnation (the one in mid Cataclysm) is the best one. When I leveled mine in TBC it was probably the dullest class to play until you got SoB. SoB was still dull, but the fact that it popped up big numbers and actually hurt yourself at least made it interesting.

I can't speak for actual numbers but the way combat flows for retribution actually feels really good, and something players who play energy based classes (rogue in particular) will probably feel as well. It just feels natural, it makes sense and while it's not the most difficult rotation combat wise, it still works.

Whether they are strong or not is another story, but I find them fun. I've been playing a DK since they launched in WoTLK and personally find the current retribution paladin combat system far superior (and way more fun to play) to any of the DPS DK specs. I don't think it's as smooth as a rogue, but it's certainly up there as far as 'fun' and melee DPS specs go. For reference I really detest playing DPS warrior, enhancement shaman and DKs. They play absolutely awful.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
Thanks to everyone for the insight!

I rolled a tauren paladin and though I'm still only around level 15, I'm enjoying it more than I thought I would!

I wish I had a few more damage abilities - all I have still are Crusader Strike, Judgement, and Templar's verdict - but I don't feel underpowered and Judgement makes losing Charge a lot more palatable.

The level 15 speed skills are nifty, and I'm having a lot of fun Crusader Striking random critters and mobs by the side of the road so I have high uptime on the 30% boost of Pursuit of Justice. :)
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Paladins will feel far less visceral than your warrior. You'll get frustrated because outside of your CD's things won't die very fast. As you start to PvP your self heals don't really heal you anymore. Your warrior has better self healing than the paladins. Instead of people thinking twice before attacking your warrior like you are probably used to you'll get focused first.

Paladins are a blast to level. Grommash is right about Vanilla/TBC paladins. They were horrible to level then and way more dynamic now. But our holy power mechanic is just a page out of the rogues playbook, our buffs are copied by a lot of other classes and our utility is bland now.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
02/15/2014 02:19 PMPosted by Max
I wish I had a few more damage abilities

The actual process of leveling a Paladin really isn't going to give you a good feel sadly. Once you max it out and get enough decent gear though you'll find yourself playing with a very smooth and streamlined combat system.

Just feels natural is the best way to put it.

We're a fun class in all our roles and I personally enjoy Paladins more than any other. In the end you'll have to make that judgement yourself though.

Different strokes and all that.
Edited by Cadenbrie on 2/15/2014 3:12 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Paladin
I'm a newish player, and i just dinged 90 last week!

I also like the plate+melee motif, combined with a "battlemage" feel... so a Paladin was perfect for me.

Anyways, at lower levels i had a MUCH better time leveling as Protection. Avenger's Shield just decimates lower level mobs, and is good for keeping some semblance of aggro in lower level dungeons.

I actually didn't take to Ret until i at least got Exorcism (in the 40s). Even then, i still quested faster as Prot until Mists. At 90, though... both specs are a blast, to me!

Shoot, i like paladins so much, that i've rolled an alt Blood Elf (currently lvl 35) so that i can try out healing, too!
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Welcome to WoW Hard Mode. Have fun and kill a lot of pubbies.
Reply Quote
59 Worgen Mage
02/15/2014 02:58 PMPosted by Tarwahe
Paladins will feel far less visceral than your warrior. You'll get frustrated because outside of your CD's things won't die very fast. As you start to PvP your self heals don't really heal you anymore. Your warrior has better self healing than the paladins. Instead of people thinking twice before attacking your warrior like you are probably used to you'll get focused first.

Paladins are a blast to level. Grommash is right about Vanilla/TBC paladins. They were horrible to level then and way more dynamic now. But our holy power mechanic is just a page out of the rogues playbook, our buffs are copied by a lot of other classes and our utility is bland now.

Stop. None of this is true, ESPECIALLY the part about Warrior self heals being better than Paladins. In fact, Rets have some of the strongest hybrid heals in the game.

Technical stuff aside though, the question really boils down to if YOU think it's fun to play a Ret. Many people have different tastes. I love the idea of a ranged/melee hybrid who kites to survive but also has high damage in melee range.

Exhibit A: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htkSYugZI8g
If you like playing like this instead of the straightforward class that is Warrior, by all means go for it. Of course, you should use your cooldowns a lot more frequently than the guy in this video. >.>
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warrior
Paladin is my main, and it's probably my bias coming out, but I can say that I LOVE the class.. I don't know whether it's aesthetically, mechanically, or what.. But I certainly love my Paladin.

If you just want to experience content and sort of float through everything while being happy, Paladin is for you. But if you play to get high ratings, top damage charts and meters, be in a 25H raiding guild.. stick with your Warrior. Unless you want to go Holy, but everyone's here for the Retribution. Saddening that Retribution seldom gets to shine in an obvious manner, Blizzard just doesn't seem to ever buff them to complete ownage.

Also, just remember this while you're playing your Paladin. If your CD's are down, that doesn't mean you can't have fun.. it just means your damage will suck #@*#%!*%.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
It all depends on what your endgame goal is i believe. PvP: Ret will disappoint you, and will frustrate you, but if you master it and have the patience, you will feel incredible when you pull off big plays consistently. Sadly, if you arena, you will receive no love.

♫Anything you can do, i can do better! ♫ - any warrior you encounter.

For leveling, i would say stick to prot until you hit mid 50's early 60's. By that point, you have more damaging abilities, more utility, more off healing abilities and are just overall more enjoyable as a spec.

I would say stick to it though, paladins are a lot of fun! As i pvp mainly, i will be retiring mine until certain changes are made, but from what i understand, they are an absolute blast in pve!

Welcome to the Light, fellow Tauren :)
Reply Quote
93 Draenei Paladin
I 'be been playing Wow on and off since Vanilla.

My original toon was a pally, but when I found Ret was useless with Seal of Command being the most boring class ever, I switched to warrior.

BC came out, and I went back to my Palading again as Perot was just becoming viable.

My paladin bed came sidelined in WotLK, as the DK bedcamed my be love.

In Cata, I switched to elemental shaman, and had a blast.

Throughout it all, though, my pally was always my second to max level.....and I tanked most of thee time.

Enter MoP.

My first 90 is my Shaman.....then my DK. I Playedc those a while, but never touched my pally.

Quit because I got bored.....and recently got back into it. And Ret.

This isd thee first time since vanilla I've trued Ret.

It's the most satisfying rotation. It does indeed flow really well, and holy power mechanic is great.

Now, all lower gear levels, its kind of clunky. But even as low as 496 I level, it starts to pick up.

I've all by sheflved my DK and Shammy, as even with 496 timeless, they don't match the fun factor of my Pally.

Ret is a wonderful spec, combined with talents like selfless healer, devo aura, and of course hand spells and you have a potent raid utility class plus decent DPS.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Paladin
Cool that you want to go from a top of the food chain class (warrior) to a bottom one....are we just talking Ret? Ret does just fine in PvE.....but like others said ret is a real underdog in PVP, almost always is...it's like playing wow on hard mode...but when you do beat classes that are superior to you it feels very rewarding.....but you'll also see how OP warriors are and I'm sure you'll think "I could have beaten so and so on my warrior" many times in BGs.... But blizz keeps paladins under powered because the class is awesome, if we were as good as warriors there would be way too many paladins lol...
Reply Quote
if you don't think low level pallies do much damage...then spec prot and go smash faces Ret doesn't over take prots dmg until closer to lvl 80....1 shotting (or close to it) 3 mobs at a time from lvl 10...don't see ret doing that
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]