Possible to tank without parry/dodge?

90 Tauren Paladin
I was looking to switch to prot why my ret gear and was wondering if anyone ever try it and if its viable for raiding SoO since the stats priority are mostly the same. I know parry and dodge are not the best stats for prot but not sure if having none would work.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Will work just fine.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
All the gear you use (besides trinkets/weapon/tier set obviously) should be ret. Just make sure you reforge to 15% exp and everything else into haste. Trinkets should be thok's tail tip and spark of zandalari, but you can use malkorok's and rooks (situational fights like Garrosh, malkorok. fights where cleave is prominent)
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
It's impossible to tank without Dodge and parry gear, whatever gave you that idea!

*Whistles*
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Well i havent found anything in the forum of someone trying that so ill try for fun post here the result of it.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
02/16/2014 09:44 PMPosted by Warhunters
Well i havent found anything in the forum of someone trying that so ill try for fun post here the result of it.
What are you talking about? It's literally all over the forum. When dodge and parry are at the bottom of the stat priority how could you possible take that and assume that nobody is trying to tank with as little or no dodge/parry as they can?

Common sense would suggest that you want gear with the better stats already on it, and would try to avoid the worst stats. I mean if ret and prot have such similar stat priorities then why wouldn't they want to use similar gear?

Not to mention the many many MANY topics where players are advised to avoid gear with dodge/parry on it, to set their loot specialization to ret for nearly all circumstances for timeless gear, LFR, flex and bonus rolls. Heck, Berith even made a topic specifically to outline the possible loot available to both ret and prot off of each boss in SoO and which loot specialization to use for each. You literally cannot go into a tanking related topic on this forum without tripping over a post telling someone to either avoid or get rid of their dodge/parry gear.

I have only 2 items with dodge or parry on them, and they're both tier pieces (and one of those will be gone just as soon as I can get the pants I want).
Edited by Pancakê on 2/16/2014 11:05 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Not to mention OP only needs to look at armories to see that not only has it been done, it's being done at high levels.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Lol, pretty sure every half decent prot pally plays with haste.. You are far from the first person to think of it. :P
Not many talk about it now because it is common knowledge.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
If you have traditional tanking stats then you are doing it wrong
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Just to be clear, you guys are saying get all the haste you can, and dodge/parry are the worst stats, right? Lol
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
02/16/2014 07:46 PMPosted by Warhunters
I was looking to switch to prot why my ret gear and was wondering if anyone ever try it and if its viable for raiding SoO since the stats priority are mostly the same. I know parry and dodge are not the best stats for prot but not sure if having none would work.

Haste is our go to stat now. It increases our active mitigation far more than Dodge/Parry could increase our passive mitigation. More haste means more HoPo (Judgement/CS), which means more SotR, which means more overall mitigation and a smoother damage curve.

Our current stat priority is Hit/Exp (cap) > Haste > Mastery > Crit/Parry/Dodge

Wherever possible get pieces that have Haste & Mastery already on them.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
02/17/2014 09:20 AMPosted by Maegoree
Just to be clear, you guys are saying get all the haste you can, and dodge/parry are the worst stats, right? Lol
Nope. They clearly said Crit is our best stat.

Clearly.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
02/17/2014 07:59 PMPosted by Emberstone
Nope. They clearly said Crit is our best stat.

Why do you think pallies rock the crit/haste boots, it's OBVIOUSLY not because of the haste, duh.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]