Ret Paladins, abilities and feeling useful.

90 Human Paladin
Inquisition should be Retribution Aura
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
Not sure if trolling or doesn't realize posting toon is a mage.

Inquisition can't exceed 2 minutes, making the amount of time you save from it not as much as you may think. Also, you're required to get the killing blow, which for fights like Norushen are easy but for Sha/immersues may be a little more difficult as there's so much AoE going on, it's hard to safely predict when to use it. Whereas mass exorcism is much safer and tends to deal 10-13k to surrounding targets, when that amount it hits tends to be 15-20 (in case of first two phases of immersues and last adds before unleashed on sha) it becomes much more noticeable. The only 3 fights where mass exorcism and double judgment aren't useful would be juggernaut, malkorok, thok (unless its herioc) and siege. That's where I'd opt into taking Hand of sacrifice to make it last the full 12seconds and divine protection because for 3 of those fights there tends to be more physical than magic damage going out on the raid, so having a 20% physical damage reduction every 20-25 seconds (assuming you have EoG) proves to be pretty badass considering rets don't have much else in terms of defensives.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
The only 3 fights where mass exorcism and double judgment aren't useful would be juggernaut, malkorok, thok (unless its herioc) and siege.

Double Jeopardy is definitely an increase on Siegecrafter. The rest is spot on.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
02/17/2014 03:27 PMPosted by Glorÿ
The only 3 fights where mass exorcism and double judgment aren't useful would be juggernaut, malkorok, thok (unless its herioc) and siege.

Double Jeopardy is definitely an increase on Siegecrafter. The rest is spot on.

How I do normal siege, no. You don't need to assist the tanks with the adds and I don't do belts. For herioc, I do belts so having the 20% increase isn't as important because a majority of my time during the fight is either attacking just the boss or just the mines on belt (unless there's a turret inbetween me and the boss in which case I would help nuke down). I could see it for a group that doesn't do mines on belts and you can target swap and kill them faster. Or even close missile turrets on herioc where they actually have health.

However, you only would use TV and Sacrifice glyphs for that fight, leaving the 3rd on free. You wouldn't want mass exo (in my position atleast) as having another ranged attack is great, so using judgment as a dps increase (albeit minor) would totally make sense. If mines are susceptible to the knockback 3 second stun from Blinding light that too may be your best bet assuming your group deals with them, but I have yet to test or confirm that.

This is all from personal exp but judgment should be your 3rd glyph for this. It's just as someone who does belts you're not utilizing it as frequently as someone who isn't doing belts.
Edited by Khazu on 2/17/2014 4:30 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I never use Mass Exo, even on Spoils, because I don't hit Exo that often and because I'd rather do slightly less cleave damage (which doesn't even matter) than be potentially inconvenienced by melee range Exo.

The only somewhat interesting glyph I use on any fight is Blinding Light for Garrosh's jade temple transition. Inq glyph isn't interesting but I love it on Galakras/Spoils. Dpro and Sac are the only other meaningful glyph choices we have. Double Jeopardy or Mass Exo can be damage increases but not enough to really matter.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
Dependent on your Mastery, but Exorcism even with 3 targets deals more damage than crusader strike and you still gain HP from it and you don't lose any mobility or anything from having exorcism be melee only. Only fight ranged exorcism would be wanted is for thok during fixate after you kill Jailor, but with how my team generally does it I hardly spend any time damaging thok. Plus having mass exo for the bats on the 2nd first phase tends to help.

I understand you're an extremely skilled Ret Lobster, but I suppose our playstyles are different. I rarely feign away from melee range and if I do having 45% speed from judgment make getting back to melee ranged very easy.

Dpro tends to be fight based though, as encounters like immersues, sha, galakras, shamans, and garrosh tend to favor magic damage while the rest tend to favor wanting physical damage reduction.

Still, it should always be TV and Sac glyph + 3rd dependent on the fight and what you need (dpro for melee fights, Mass exo for aoe, and Blinding light for Garrosh/galak if need be).

Basically mass exo favors lower ilvl players + players who favor crit > mastery after 40% haste more than someone who goes mastery. Aka what you're going for vs what someone like my self goes for.
Edited by Khazu on 2/17/2014 8:03 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I dunno about extremely lol but I know what ret can do and what it needs to do on these fights. Strats will vary between teams but unless we're talking about tight progression, Exo cleave is rarely meaningful in SoO. Nothing wrong with taking it because it's still technically a gain, I just think the utility glyphs are worth more overall.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
I mean, you're more so experienced (i hope) than a lot of people who use this section.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Can you be extremely good at ret? not much to it rofl
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
There's not much to it for almost every dps class, but there's a difference between being good and extremely good.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
02/16/2014 02:09 AMPosted by Areos
Consecration sucks. Always had, always will. This silly infatuation that other Paladins have with this ancient relic of an ability is completely asinine. The best choice Blizzard could make right now is to remove it from Protection and finally banish it from the Paladin toolkit, like it should have been long ago.

I'd be perfectly happy with still having it as a flavor spell, if nothing else. It doesn't even need to do damage. Other classes have these, like Shaman and their Far Sight ability, for example. I just want to be shiny when I want to be. Lots of those sort of "Paladin-defining" abilities have been removed. "Paladin-defining" not meaning that they were good or bad, but the concept the spells offered in appearance and ... dare I say... roleplay.
02/16/2014 09:13 AMPosted by Areos
I never want to see Consecration back in any way, shape or form.

:c

You are extremely bad and you should feel bad. Plz just reroll

I will !@#$ on all the kids in this thread.

Wow you must have been terrible.

Apparently you didn't comprehend the message this thread was meant to deliver. Please leave, nobody cares about how amazing you claim to be.
Edited by Lynea on 2/19/2014 10:47 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
02/19/2014 10:46 PMPosted by Lynea
I'd be perfectly happy with still having it as a flavor spell, if nothing else. It doesn't even need to do damage. Other classes have these, like Shaman and their Far Sight ability, for example. I just want to be shiny when I want to be. Lots of those sort of "Paladin-defining" abilities have been removed. "Paladin-defining" not meaning that they were good or bad, but the concept the spells offered in appearance and ... dare I say... roleplay.

If only as a cosmetic piece, it could always be reinstated as a minor glyph of some sort. A minor glyph that added the ability back as a learned ability wouldn't seem like the best choice, because using it in combat would ultimately result in a loss in damage, thus making it pointless. Instead, I think something like this would do the trick:

Glyph of Hallowed Ground (Retribution/Protection): Your Hammer of the Righteous and Divine Storm abilities consecrate the ground below the Paladin for 9 sec. Up to 3 consecrations can exist at a time.

There. Consecration is back as a flavor spell effect for Protection or Retribution Paladins who choose to utilize it. It won't do any damage in this manner, but it would be hardly noticeable through the passive AoE fest already.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
02/20/2014 12:13 AMPosted by Areos
Glyph of Hallowed Ground (Retribution/Protection): Your Hammer of the Righteous and Divine Storm abilities consecrate the ground below the Paladin for 9 sec. Up to 3 consecrations can exist at a time.

There. Consecration is back as a flavor spell effect for Protection or Retribution Paladins who choose to utilize it. It won't do any damage in this manner, but it would be hardly noticeable through the passive AoE fest already.

Love it. Only concern would be visual effect clutter in raids.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
02/20/2014 12:23 AMPosted by Lobster
02/20/2014 12:13 AMPosted by Areos

Love it. Only concern would be visual effect clutter in raids.

If there's too much visual clutter, it could always be reduced down to two or one consecrations at a time. Using HotR/DS while a consecration is down will simply remove the old one and apply a new one.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
OP you must be the worst kind of player...

You want to completely change the way Ret is played because of your obvious incapability to play it in it's current state.

Do you realize how pathetic and laughable this is? I think it should be pretty obvious to you from the responses you are getting from players who like the class and compete with other classes on the meters.

You honestly just sound like some skill clicking keyboard turning casual care bear to be completely blunt about it.

Make some key binds and learn how to press them more than once every 20 seconds.

So sick of bad players coming on here and bashing ret paladins.
Reply Quote
02/20/2014 05:44 AMPosted by Justicàr
OP you must be the worst kind of player...

You want to completely change the way Ret is played because of your obvious incapability to play it in it's current state.

Do you realize how pathetic and laughable this is? I think it should be pretty obvious to you from the responses you are getting from players who like the class and compete with other classes on the meters.

You honestly just sound like some skill clicking keyboard turning casual care bear to be completely blunt about it.

Make some key binds and learn how to press them more than once every 20 seconds.

So sick of bad players coming on here and bashing ret paladins.

Rets current states isnt that great doe
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Ret currently brings an awesome amount of on-demand burst, and I would not trade that at all for a more consistent damage curve (at least in pve). Additionally, pre-HP ret paladins were extremely boring (FCFS Whack-a-mole WEEEEEEEE).

Mechanically we're awesome, although I think HP as it's used for holy paladins can use some reworking.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]