Crucible Silver Medal required for LFD/LFR

90 Human Warrior
02/21/2014 10:42 PMPosted by Theresá
So a backtrack then?

Or the person who posted it misunderstood what was said in the first place.
100 Human Rogue
02/21/2014 10:44 PMPosted by Nyumetsu
Would that be all players, or only boosted level 90 players?

Doesn't specify. Would they be able to make the distinction for the queue system though?

Ahh, I see it is only for HEROIC LFD, which is fine since they are upping the difficulty. If it was for normal LFD that would be an issue.
100 Human Mage
02/21/2014 10:47 PMPosted by Theresá
Ahh, I see it is only for HEROIC LFD, which is fine since they are upping the difficulty. If it was for normal LFD that would be an issue.

Then they had better provide normal dungeons at level cap unlike MoP. This is one of those things I directly told GC I felt was a mistake, no level cap normal dungeons.
100 Human Rogue
02/21/2014 10:49 PMPosted by Fairadey
02/21/2014 10:47 PMPosted by Theresá

Then they had better provide normal dungeons at level cap unlike MoP. This is one of those things I directly told GC I felt was a mistake, no level cap normal dungeons.

I'd assume there'd be level capped normal dungeons. Are they not doing that? That would be a mistake. They said you'd only need normal LFD gear to get into LFR, so that seems odd.
100 Human Mage
02/21/2014 10:56 PMPosted by Theresá
I'd assume there'd be level capped normal dungeons. Are they not doing that? That would be a mistake. They said you'd only need normal LFD gear to get into LFR, so that seems odd.

I have no clue what they intend to do with dungeons this time around after MoP. I'm also not in favor of gating heroic dungeons with a PG like scenario in any case as I fall into the camp of PG's don't teach or show anything about group game play.
02/21/2014 10:04 PMPosted by Mirisanelle
Sure, don't buy an expansion because of one simply gated aspect of the game.

Mandatory PG's
No flight and grounded for months

No sale

Why not "Earn" your way to get to better gear and get into raids?

..I do this already. Without PG. Without mandatory "tests" Your point is??

Look at the LFR now literally NO gated whatsoever the only gating is the ilvl which is very easily obtainable. From the looks of it if the crucible will be just like Proving Grounds then you are in luck because I have read for about 10+ pages PG is easy.

I dont care what it is, making anything in this game or ANY other game for that matter "mandatory or forced" will not have the effect you hope it will.

02/21/2014 10:04 PMPosted by Mirisanelle
making anything in this game or ANY other game for that matter "mandatory or forced" will not have the effect you hope it will.
For the addicted to video game bunch it will be wonderful addition though since they crave tedium to try and satisfy the craving lol.
100 Human Rogue
02/21/2014 11:01 PMPosted by Fairadey
02/21/2014 10:56 PMPosted by Theresá

I have no clue what they intend to do with dungeons this time around after MoP. I'm also not in favor of gating heroic dungeons with a PG like scenario in any case as I fall into the camp of PG's don't teach or show anything about group game play.

I think the gate is only for queues, and you can still fly there and do it in a pre-made. I can understand this. They had to nerf Cata-heroics because LFD groups couldn't handle them.
Game Designer
To at least get everyone on the same page in terms of information, since a summary of a translated version of a translation of a few sentences in a single interview may not be the best foundation for a 24-page discussion, here's an overview of our current thinking:

• We will have Normal and Heroic versions of our max-level dungeons. (Note that we did not have Normal level 90 dungeons in Mists.)
  • There will be no special requirement other than basic level/ilvl requirements on queuing for Normal dungeons or LFR.
  • Level-up quest gear will get you into Normal dungeons/scenarios, and Normal dungeon/scenario gear will get you into LFR.
  • Heroic dungeons will be more challenging than the Normal version (not brutally difficult, mind you -- just somewhat more demanding).
  • You will need a Silver Proving Grounds medal in a given role in order to queue for random matchmaking for a Heroic Warlords dungeon. If you form a premade group, you can zone in regardless and no such requirement applies.

In the past, challenging content and random matchmaking have often not gone so well together. Relying on item level does nothing to prevent a random group from getting, for example, a tank who may literally have never tanked before. Everyone has to learn somewhere, but we'd rather not have that learning come at other players' expense. One option would be to require a full premade group to do Heroic Dungeons, as we do with Heroic Scenarios, but that would present a very high barrier to entry (finding 4 other people with rigid role requirements is much harder than finding 2 other people with no role requirements). This solution represents a compromise in order to allow the content to see a broader reach via matchmaking, while minimizing frustration.

And yes, we realize that by formally using Proving Grounds as a qualification, it will be incumbent upon us to further refine their balance and mechanics. We'll be updating them for Warlords, and we're confident that we can make them a fair test of baseline ability within a given role.
100 Human Mage
02/21/2014 11:09 PMPosted by Theresá
They had to nerf Cata-heroics because LFD groups couldn't handle them.

Bleh, Cata all around was a cluster you know what. The only beta I didn't make it into. ;)
100 Human Mage
02/21/2014 11:11 PMPosted by Watcher
To at least get everyone on the same page in terms of information, since a summary of a translated version of a translation of a few sentences in a single interview may not be the best foundation for a 24-page discussion, here's an overview of our current thinking:

• We will have Normal and Heroic versions of our max-level dungeons. (Note that we did not have Normal level 90 dungeons in Mists.)
  • There will be no special requirement other than basic level/ilvl requirements on queuing for Normal dungeons or LFR.
  • Level-up quest gear will get you into Normal dungeons/scenarios, and Normal dungeon/scenario gear will get you into LFR.
  • Heroic dungeons will be more challenging than the Normal version (not brutally difficult, mind you -- just somewhat more demanding).
  • You will need a Silver Proving Grounds medal in a given role in order to queue for random matchmaking for a Heroic Warlords dungeon. If you form a premade group, you can zone in regardless and no such requirement applies.

In the past, challenging content and random matchmaking have often not gone so well together. Relying on item level does nothing to prevent a random group from getting, for example, a tank who may literally have never tanked before. Everyone has to learn somewhere, but we'd rather not have that learning come at other players' expense. One option would be to require a full premade group to do Heroic Dungeons, as we do with Heroic Scenarios, but that would present a very high barrier to entry (finding 4 other people with rigid role requirements is much harder than finding 2 other people with no role requirements). This solution represents a compromise in order to allow the content to see a broader reach via matchmaking, while minimizing frustration.

And yes, we realize that by formally using Proving Grounds as a qualification, it will be incumbent upon us to further refine their balance and mechanics. We'll be updating them for Warlords, and we're confident that we can make them a fair test of baseline ability within a given role.

Woot, ty Watcher.

Often the forums are left without a blue of any type clarifying info. <3
90 Human Warrior
since a summary of a translated version of a translation of a few sentences in a single interview may not be the best foundation for a 24-page discussion,

Blasphemy.
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Making people prove they know their class will not solve the biggest LFR problem.

The biggest problem is people either going afk, or dying to the first thing possible so they can walk away and get loot.

There needs to be a minimum dos or heal threshold that must be met, or you don't get loot.

That will mean if somebody dies by mistake early in the fight, they will not get loot. Sorry, but some sacrifices must be made for the greater good.
100 Undead Warlock

I really like this design principal.
100 Night Elf Hunter
Well, I was partially right at least. I don't feel completely off rocker then.

Thank you for the clarification.
100 Night Elf Druid
*Checks date. Nope, still not April 1st.
100 Human Mage
02/21/2014 11:15 PMPosted by Pancaspe
That will mean if somebody dies by mistake early in the fight, they will not get loot. Sorry, but some sacrifices must be made for the greater good.

Uh huh. No thanks. I don't need a group of healers deciding who gets or doesn't get loot in a LFR.

02/21/2014 11:16 PMPosted by Bubblykiss
I really like this design principal.

I don't, but at least the guildies I know who will need help can be brought in by a group of guildies. Hopefully this works out but I'm not keeping my hopes up.
Edited by Fairadey on 2/21/2014 11:18 PM PST
100 Human Rogue

• Yay! Good to hear.
    100 Human Paladin
    tlc
    Ah, well that settles that. Thank you very much for the clarification, Watcher.

Now, will you please stop staring? :(
    90 Human Warrior
    02/21/2014 11:17 PMPosted by Fairadey
    Uh huh. No thanks. I don't need a group of healers deciding who gets or doesn't get loot in a LFR.

I died three seconds into Immerseus last week because someone pulled and the tanks were slow to get up to the boss, so that was pretty great.
    This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]