Warlords of Draenor Racial Traits

Community Manager
We’re planning some changes to racial traits for Warlords of Draenor. We recently posted a Dev Watercooler (Pruning the Garden of War) that dives deeper into the philosophy behind these changes, and now we wanted to give you the full details of what’s coming.

In order to keep racials more in line with one another, we’ve decided to bring down a couple of high outliers, then establish a fair baseline and bring the other racials up to that. We’re accomplishing this by improving old passives, replacing obsolete ones, and adding a few new ones where necessary. Ultimately, our goal is to achieve much better parity among races.

There aren’t any current plans to change Pandaren or Worgen racials.

Blood Elf
  • Arcane Acuity is a new racial passive ability that increases Critical Strike chance by 1%.
  • Arcane Torrent now restores 20 Runic Power for Death Knights (up from 15 Runic Power), 1 Holy Power for Paladins, or 3% of Mana for Mage, Priest, Warlocks (up from 2% of Mana). Other aspects of the ability remain unchanged.

Draenei
  • Heroic Presence has been redesigned. It no longer increases Hit by 1%, and instead increases Strength, Agility, and Intellect, scaling with character level.
  • Gift of the Naaru now heals for the same amount over 5 seconds (down from 15 seconds).

Dwarf
  • Crack Shot has been removed (was 1% Expertise with ranged weapons).
  • Mace Specialization (was 1% Expertise with maces) has been replaced with Might of the Mountain.
    • Might of the Mountain is a new racial passive ability that increases Critical Strike bonus damage and healing dealt by 2%.

• Stoneform now also removes magic and curse effects in addition to poison, disease, and bleed effects, along with reducing damage taken by 10% for 8 seconds. It remains unusable while CC'd.

Gnome
  • Expansive Mind now increases maximum Mana, Energy, Rage, and Runic Power by 5% instead of only increasing maximum Mana.
  • Escape Artist’s cooldown has been reduced to 1 minute (down from 1.5 minutes).
  • Shortblade Specialization (was 1% Expertise with one-handed swords and daggers) has been replaced with Nimble Fingers.
    • Nimble Fingers is a new racial passive ability that increases Haste by 1%.

Goblin
  • Time is Money now grants a 1% increase to Haste (up from only attack speed and spell haste).

Human
  • Mace Specialization has been removed (was 1% Expertise with maces).
  • Sword Specialization has been removed (was 1% Expertise with swords).
  • The Human Spirit has been redesigned. It no longer increases Spirit by 3%, and instead now increases two secondary stats by an amount scaling with character level. You can choose which two secondary stats it increases. This has not yet been implemented.

Night Elf
  • Quickness now also increases movement speed by 2% in addition to increasing Dodge chance by 2%.
  • Touch of Elune is a new passive ability which increases Haste by 1% at night, and Critical Strike Chance by 1% during the day.

Orc
  • Axe Specialization has been removed (was 1% Expertise with axes).
  • Hardiness now reduces the duration of Stun effects by 10% (down from 15%).

Tauren
  • Brawn is a new racial passive ability that increases Critical Strike bonus damage and healing done by 2%.
  • Endurance now increases Stamina by an amount scaling with character level, instead of increasing Base Health by 5%.

Troll
  • Berserking now increases Haste by 15% (down from 20%).
  • Beast Slaying now increases XP earned from killing Beasts by 20% instead of increasing damage dealt versus Beasts by 5%.
  • Dead Eye has been removed (was 1% Expertise with ranged weapons).

Undead
  • Will of the Forsaken’s cooldown has been increased to 3 minutes (up from 2 minutes).
90 Gnome Warlock
03/03/2014 09:59 AMPosted by Bashiok
Shortblade Specialization (was 1% Expertise with one-handed swords and daggers) has been replaced with Nimble Fingers.Nimble Fingers is a new racial passive ability that increases Haste by 1%.
o
Edited by Felwaffles on 6/6/2014 8:17 AM PDT
INTERESTING
Community Manager
Keep in mind these are directly from notes kept for the internal build. Any "Not yet implemented" callouts are referring to the internal build undergoing testing, and obviously not the currently live game you're playing. :)
MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Troll Priest
Thanks for the additional clarification!
90 Blood Elf Mage
Arcane Acuity is a new racial passive ability that increases Critical Strike chance by 1%.

Worgen did it first :l

Heroic Presence has been redesigned. It no longer increases Hit by 1%, and instead increases Strength, Agility, and Intellect, scaling with character level.

Called it.
I will forever be vocal about how absolutely silly the Night Elf one is. From a minmax perspective, one stat will /always/ be better. We will continue to see a sea of Worgen Druid in progression raiding on ally side because I dont want to look for a daytime raiding guild for that 1% extra minmaxing.

(Im refering to just my class in it's current state, yes, but it doesn't change the fact that having racials that change every X amount of hours are silly.)
Edited by Riley on 3/3/2014 10:07 AM PST
90 Draenei Shaman
This great!

However the draenei racial is effected by the healing debuff in pvp, even though it is a static heal. It makes it the worst activated racial because of that. You also can't use it while silenced. I'm hoping that it gets a little more interesting than just the same old light heal on a 3 minute CD (that is virtually useless in pvp). I do hope you guys continue to look at racials, this is a great start.
Id like to see combat racials removed and focus more on cosmetic/fun racials so everyone can play what they want to play instead of what offers the best minmaxing

thanks for the post anyways
Edited by Backstabs on 3/3/2014 10:08 AM PST
90 Undead Rogue
So the logic of EMFH remaining unchanged but Will of the Forsaken getting bumped to 3 minutes? Lesser ability being nerfed why? Same with stun duration of orcs?
90 Night Elf Warrior
I love the concept of Touch of Elune
90 Human Warrior
Would we be able to get a confirmation if Every Man for Himself is staying or will be given to all races (As it should have always been!) or if being removed (will miss it , but will adapt).

I know it is really early so I can understand if there is no decision yet.

03/03/2014 10:07 AMPosted by Mystheal
This great!

However the draenei racial is effected by the healing debuff in pvp, even though it is a static heal. It makes it the worst activated racial because of that. You also can't use it while silenced. I'm hoping that it gets a little more interesting than just the same old light heal on a 3 minute CD (that is virtually useless in pvp). I do hope you guys continue to look at racials, this is a great start.

In WoD, I do believe that Battle Fatigue will either be gone or won't be as high as it is now, so it wouldn't be affected as much.
Edited by Asryi on 3/3/2014 10:12 AM PST
90 Night Elf Druid
touch of elune seems like a nice concept, but it might create lots of problems and annoyances for min-maxers, i think it should be changed to something more static(i know haste breakpoints are gone)
90 Troll Rogue
Stoneform seems like a potentially problematic outlier in terms of defensive racials. Also the +crit damage racials are very underpowered compared to the +stat racials except for a small subset of crit reliant specs at high gear levels.
90 Night Elf Warrior
03/03/2014 10:08 AMPosted by Proximal
So the logic of EMFH remaining unchanged but Will of the Forsaken getting bumped to 3 minutes? Lesser ability being nerfed why? Same with stun duration of orcs?

From what I've seen on the wowhead summary of the racial changes, they're still looking at EMFH
90 Draenei Monk
So, Arcane Torrent does not give Chi?
90 Blood Elf Mage
03/03/2014 10:12 AMPosted by Rotund
So, Arcane Torrent does not give Chi?

It does that now...
81 Troll Hunter
I have / leveled over 9-10 troll hunters over the past 9 years... kinda cool for the xp boost with beastslaying change, but to have a racial that is useless at max level compared to other races seems idk, at this point it would make me want to race change to orc after leveling to 100. Seems like something else could take the place and revoke beast slaying all together.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]