Simplifying currency? That's the grand plan?

Blizzard Employee
03/03/2014 08:51 AMPosted by Zelestra
Until you are ready to talk about it, its doing you guys a disservice talking about half of the big picture. You're causing more chaos than anything. Im a normal/heroic player and I don't get to hung up on gear (Im used to RNG from D&D days), but as you can see, a lot of people get confused and frustrated at it.

Many people enjoy being upset and arguing about ifs, ands, or buts (or in the case of character models, actual butts).

A quiet and content forum is a sad and wanting thing.
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
03/03/2014 09:00 AMPosted by Bashiok
Until you are ready to talk about it, its doing you guys a disservice talking about half of the big picture. You're causing more chaos than anything. Im a normal/heroic player and I don't get to hung up on gear (Im used to RNG from D&D days), but as you can see, a lot of people get confused and frustrated at it.

Many people enjoy being upset and arguing about ifs, ands, or buts (or in the case of character models, actual butts).

Yes, well you've stirred up the hornets nest today. There won't be any quiet or content at least till Thursday.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Many people enjoy being upset

/thread

no

/forum

no

/website

no

/internet

no

/life

Got it.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Mage
(or in the case of character models, actual butts).

Speaking about butts, hows the night elf model?
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Warrior
03/03/2014 09:23 AMPosted by Cinnabuns

/thread

no

/forum

no

/website

no

/internet

no

/life

Got it.

Yep, that about sums it up. I think that's the kind of understanding of human nature required to be a Blizzard CM. Don't sweat it too much about the constant complaints, many people just enjoy being upset.
Reply Quote
10 Blood Elf Paladin
03/03/2014 08:30 AMPosted by Bashiok
We're not quite ready yet to talk specifics, but the plan is not to just remove currencies, let bonus rolls stay as-is, and expect everything will work out fine. We're keenly aware of how gearing works in the game. I think the changes we have planned will assuage your fears once we are ready to lay it out.

(It's pretty cool. I think you'll like it.)

can we make raid valor significant again? running dungeons I dont need gear from or doing LFR to cap valor isnt my idea of fun.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Death Knight

So..... you're actually admitting you guys just enjoy tormenting us by stirring the pot?

That is SO not cool man. In fact I find it very unprofessional. While I understand a quiet forum is a sad thing, purposefully pissing off your loyal customers and fans, just to get people talking is mean spirited and spiteful.

Do you really hold us in that low regard that you enjoy making us feel bad like this?

I expected better for some reason.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Mage
Since we are talking about currencies, any plans in WoD to make gold (server) account bound? I have quite a few level 90's and its getting annoying trying to keep track / sending gold via mail to so many toons.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warrior

Sowing social discord in the name of a healthy community.

I like your style.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
03/03/2014 09:33 AMPosted by Derah
So..... you're actually admitting you guys just enjoy tormenting us by stirring the pot?

That is SO not cool man. In fact I find it very unprofessional. While I understand a quiet forum is a sad thing, purposefully pissing off your loyal customers and fans, just to get people talking is mean spirited and spiteful.

Do you really hold us in that low regard that you enjoy making us feel bad like this?

Hahahaha

Oh wait, you're serious?

Just because a blue isn't ready to divulge all of the information doesn't mean that they are unprofessional. Would you rather us have -no- information? People are going to argue and moan about things, that's the nature of this game's community and of life itself. Not everyone is going to like everything. I for one enjoy learning pieces of the "New Expansion" puzzle and seeing just how much our game world is going to change in a few (I hope!) months. They give us the information, and some of us -choose- to be pissed off for some reason.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Mage
03/03/2014 08:30 AMPosted by Bashiok
We're not quite ready yet to talk specifics, but the plan is not to just remove currencies, let bonus rolls stay as-is, and expect everything will work out fine. We're keenly aware of how gearing works in the game. I think the changes we have planned will assuage your fears once we are ready to lay it out.

(It's pretty cool. I think you'll like it.)

Please keep in mind Currency in terms of context -- MoP seems to have forgotten about this.

--JP used to reward 5 man gear
--VP used to reward raid gear
--Bonus "coins" reward a % chance @ raid gear for doing non-raid things but require you to raid in order to cash them in.

These three things aren't interchangeable.

In previous expansions (Wrath for instance) -- Emblems rewarded gear that was consistent with the type of content you were doing. This (would seem to me) is the ideal.

Coin rolls (and MoP forcing everyone into raiding) has forgotten the value of the "lesser" currencies.

In making currency simpler on your side, you made it more convoluted for players and less directly connected to -- content done = reward granted.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
03/03/2014 09:52 AMPosted by Bashiok
there is value in not providing all the answers.

Sure if this was some super secret spy organization.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
Yeah the current system is kind of lacking. I'm in mostly heroic / warforged / heroic warforged gear, and yet I'm still wearing a neck from ToT, and have no way to be able to purchase one with valor. RNG has not been my friend. Sure I haven't run all the flex's every week that can drop a neck or done Ordos every single week since they've been available, but I still have had plenty of chances to get a neck and have gotten nothing.

Meanwhile, I've gotten every version of the Sha healing trinket at least once. I got the flex one, then the normal one, then a warforged one, then a heroic one, then a heroic warforged one (all of those were off a coin roll but one I think? And that's not counting the duplicates). Most of the stuff I have gotten off of coin rolls are items I already have. There is always that one piece of gear that never drops, and at least before if that one piece of gear didn't drop I could buy it with valor (and then of course right after I buy that piece of gear, the piece I needed to drop from the boss for that slot drops right after it's too late to return the item for a refund *sigh*)
Reply Quote
89 Tauren Paladin

i think a quiet and content forum would in fact be a horrible and dire turn of events.

Utterly no one left in the game wants any change or progression? they are just fine and happy to leave every single feature object an function as is? must be a very very small remaining player base, so small you'll no longer be turning any profit, more like a huge loss because everyone knows you cannot ever please everyone. Always someone will see something that can be done different or tweaked, or added/removed! This is of course irrelevant to thier professional knowledge, or lack of, towards game development, like 2 in every million ppl who plays games (any game!) are likely to be pro level game devs

Picking the happy medium is always going to be a sucky job and im glad its not me who has to deliberate over what comes and goes. I just get to log on and play which is good enough for me!

Still i think what you guys had going in BC was the best platform. Theres no reason to not be able to add hard modes and challenges and scenarios and whatnot with a Badge of Justice currency. Just the 1 currency used for all pve. Dropped by heroic 5 man bosses and raid bosses. And whatever allocation method there is for scenarios. create 1 full set of gear equal to the mid range tier set, just make sure it is at least 1 tier less than the max lvl set. Reserve the true best gear for the hard mode raiders since they work for it. But have this full BoJ gear set purchasable from a vendor. This stuff can be purchased over time by ppl who do not raid/raid little. Or more rapidly as interim fillers for the dedicated raider while they try for thier specific hard mode slot items.

Dont force ppl to use vastly inferiour junk (greens or blues 50ilvls lower) and dont give them freeby stuff aka timeless isle/toc as fillers because they didnt get thier drop/roll
Reply Quote

No, no, not at all. Just disagreeing with the concept that everyone needs to know everything all of the time. There is value in communication plans, and there is value in not providing all the answers.

I guess we're gonna have to agree to disagree there.

When it comes to controversial changes, posting only the BAD half of the full picture just to get a (mostly negative) reaction is not the right way.

And this is a controversial change. Currently VP is the ONLY carrot on a stick for a lot of people who happen to have really bad luck.

Then the development team says they're taking it away, but then don't tell us what they're replacing it with. For all we know the replacement is gonna suck. Or its gonna be just as RNG dependant as the main gearing system.

So in this particular case, posting only half of the picture only creates negativity. I don't believe its ok to do that. Want to give us an incomplete teaser to water our mouths with anticipation? fine, but do it with something we can be HAPPY about.
Edited by Derah on 3/3/2014 10:01 AM PST
Reply Quote
1 Orc Hunter

Professionalism goes both ways.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
03/03/2014 09:55 AMPosted by Derah

See his last post:

Exhibit A: you right now.
Reply Quote
03/03/2014 10:00 AMPosted by Cinnabuns
03/03/2014 09:55 AMPosted by Derah

See his last post:

Exhibit A: you right now.

I am not happy at being upset. I'm upset at being upset (redundancy asides)

I'm eager to see what's in store next, and changes will always have a downside and an upside, that's the nature of change. We lose something, only to gain something new in return.

Showing only the losses doesn't sit well for me. They feel different, hence why I said we're gonna have to agree to disagree.

Edit: In retrospective..... this is the first time in nearly 6 years that a blue poster has talked to me O_O

Darn, now I Wish it could had been about something happier. =/ Bummer.
Edited by Derah on 3/3/2014 10:04 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]