Simplifying currency? That's the grand plan?

100 Blood Elf Warlock
03/03/2014 01:55 PMPosted by Øk
As for the crafting thing, that'd be pretty cool... but I think it should be hard to get the recipes for that gear. Like, really hard. It'd be way too easy to gear up alts. You'd do it too fast. Or maybe the ilvl could just be low, but I think that counters your point, no?

Making the plans hard to get wouldn't be a bad idea as long as the cooldown to make the mat was adjusted accordingly. It would need to be a bit more then the amount of time that one piece of gear from Raiding is expected to take. For example if you're expected to take 1 week for one piece of gear the crafted alternative should take somewhere around 2 weeks to make. That way if you can't get a piece of gear off of a Raid you can make one to fill in for it after you've tried twice.

It would take double the expected time of Raid gearing while still allowing for RNG to grant you more then the expected. This way you'd have to focus on one character at a time to gear up and by the time you either got a full Raid set or a full crafted set (barring freak weeks where you actually get multiple pieces that aren't duplicates) if they kept to the same time schedule as this expansion you'd only be able to make one or two pieces for your alts.

It still kind of makes you run the raid's while allowing you to plan ahead. If you got the shoulders off of the first run off of Flex and got nothing else the rest of the week you could start the crafting to make the boots. The next week you get the boots, but that's alright since you can just switch to the belt. Etc. It allows for flexibility in terms of gearing while still letting you get pieces from Raids.

Some items like weapons would obviously take longer to make. Akin to the Blacksmith time frames that we have now. Once a month you can pop out a weapon if you haven't gotten any on your characters. It would also allow you to sell one once a month to those like me that have just horrible luck in terms of luck from RNG.

Some Prof's like Engineering would need to go the route of the "hard to get" pattern and cooldown on mats simply because with each raid tier they'd only get 1-2 new weapons (Gun/bow/crossbow) and possibly a few other items. (I don't run Eng so I'm not positive on everything it offers) The ones that have HUGE lists like Tailoring, Blacksmithing, Leatherworking would need easier to get patterns but a adjusted cooldowns so that they can actually collect the patterns and start. It's possible to balance them all out it just takes a bit of thought on how to do it.
Edited by Ashendal on 3/3/2014 2:27 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
03/03/2014 08:41 AMPosted by Baeloro
03/03/2014 08:30 AMPosted by Bashiok
We're not quite ready yet to talk specifics, but the plan is not to just remove currencies, let bonus rolls stay as-is, and expect everything will work out fine. We're keenly aware of how gearing works in the game. I think the changes we have planned will assuage your fears once we are ready to lay it out.

(It's pretty cool. I think you'll like it.)

Speaking of simplifying currency, can we get rid of copper and silver? It's so annoying to have them in the game when nothing costs copper/silver and most people round up to the nearest gold.

Please and thanks.

lol you still hanging on to that dream?
Reply Quote
10 Blood Elf Paladin
one more thing, can we seriously cut down on item bloat in raids? it's ridiculous that some bosses have like 20 items, and in a 10 man raid you get 1 non tier drop.

1/20 shot of getting what you want.

it sucks.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Death Knight
What Grug said - make it so you don't get the same piece over and over after you have it, and make it so you don't get weps after you have two. Last week i used all 3 re-rolls along with getting loot from the 3 bosses and ended up with FOUR of the SAME shoulder piece and two of the same legs i already had on. You don't need to get rid of either entirely, just fix it.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
Ok to start ...

• No Reforging to deal with bad stats for your spec. Check!
    "Bonus Stat" System. Check!
    Enchanting being Nerfed. Check!
    Jewelcrafting(due to Bonus Stat System) being Nerfed. Check!
    No catch up options via VP / JP gear. Check!
    Forced to use Bonus rolls (which is still abysmally low chance). Check!
  • Fellows, its time to rename the expansion.

Welcome to ...

Warlords of Grinding

You didn't get that piece of gear this week? Sorry. Blow a Seal next time! Oh, you did. Sorry. See you next week! Oh, you got the item you wanted? Grats. Wait, you're a progression raider and you got Durability on it? Sorry. Try again next week.

Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

It's becoming a Korean MMO (which are known for Excessive amounts of Grinding).

EDIT: It's Korean games known for Grinding. My bad.
    Edited by Verdre on 3/3/2014 3:14 PM PST
    Reply Quote
    90 Blood Elf Warlock
    03/03/2014 08:30 AMPosted by Bashiok
    We're keenly aware of how gearing works in the game. I think the changes we have planned will assuage your fears once we are ready to lay it out.

I feel like people forget this too often, about a lot of subjects. People act like the devs haven't ever played the game, let alone create it.
    Reply Quote
    100 Orc Warrior
    03/03/2014 02:23 PMPosted by Ashendal
    Making the plans hard to get wouldn't be a bad idea as long as the cooldown to make the mat was adjusted accordingly.

That would make sense, but just imagine the prices for things that take two weeks to make. Living steel is going for 500g a pop right now, and you can make that in one a day. Sky Golems are even more expensive, and the mats for it aren't even that hard to get, it just takes time. Granted, some would argue that trillium is a pain in the !@# to farm and Sky Golems do have that cool factor in it, so that bumps up the price. But gear has the stat and progression factor to it, which is worth more (for most people, I think). So it would still be insanely priced. ^_^

You would have to make a bunch of alts to get every profession so that you can have those pieces of gear, which again counters your point. :3

Maybe it should just be hard to get the mats and the recipe, and maybe it too should have a one day cd. And by "hard to get the mats" I mean really hard. Not RNG, but just difficult. Like, you have to kill really tough mobs, which then drop something that allows you to make this armor...

Wait wait wait. I just realized that's exactly what VP does lol (except you buy the gear, not make it). Hmm... I'm really curious what their plan is on this. What exactly does "simplify" mean?

I hate waiting!! I wanna know >_<
    Reply Quote
    90 Pandaren Shaman
    03/03/2014 02:43 PMPosted by Sanctifìed
    one more thing, can we seriously cut down on item bloat in raids? it's ridiculous that some bosses have like 20 items, and in a 10 man raid you get 1 non tier drop.

1/20 shot of getting what you want.

it sucks.

I'd bet very few Guilds that aren't going to make the jump to Mythic stay strictly 10 for this reason. I wonder how the number of drops will scale in WoD?
    Reply Quote
    100 Blood Elf Death Knight
    ... Sorry, but at this stage I can't help but feel this is going to be as terrible as MoP's gated reputations with Valor reward pricing, and valor rewards double gated by reputation demands.

There was nothing fundamentally wrong with the point system - sure, it could have been made better, but this route is both exasperating and troublesome.

And no, you don't get to tell me to buck up because I only have half the story when you've only given me half the story - either learn to control your press releases better or accept the natural consequence of your shenanigans.
    Reply Quote
    100 Undead Monk
    Streamlining everything and anything they can in wow. Gotta love it. Not.
    Reply Quote
    100 Undead Monk
    03/03/2014 03:19 PMPosted by Draenybrit
    He said there will be other catch up options that will be known soon, and we won't be solely relying on bonus rolls. Why don't people read when blues take the time to post?
    Blues love to lie and or spread misinformation as they are the ones who have no actual control over the direction of the game. Theyre here to talk and nothing else, they dont work on the game or anything.
    Reply Quote
    76 Gnome Rogue
    RNG isn't a fun mechanic. Probably one of the biggest reasons I like gearing up late in the expansion through PvP is so I don't have to deal with range. Got 2500 conquest? Cool, I can buy that chest piece I want. Imagine RNG in real life. "Honey, can you pick up some toilet paper at the store?" "Sure." Half hour later. "Well, I got a box of waffle mix instead. Hope that works."
    Reply Quote
    100 Pandaren Monk
    Personally, I'd be really happy if they dumped Valor completely and went with just Lesser Charms as they are right now (probably would need to lower the rate of acquisition in that case).

RNG isn't a fun mechanic. Probably one of the biggest reasons I like gearing up late in the expansion through PvP is so I don't have to deal with range. Got 2500 conquest? Cool, I can buy that chest piece I want. Imagine RNG in real life. "Honey, can you pick up some toilet paper at the store?" "Sure." Half hour later. "Well, I got a box of waffle mix instead. Hope that works."

How come you aren't upset when bosses don't drop gear you want, but you're (I'm assuming) complaining about the lack of rewards or feeling of rewards from Bonus Rolls (or personal loot in LFR/Flex I'd suspect as well)?

I'd be happy too if they got rid of Lesser Charms and just went back to Valor. Either way is fine with me, I just don't like the chore aspect of currencies, and especially how you get absolutely 0 reward from your time spent raiding as far as lesser charms goes.

Blues love to lie and or spread misinformation as they are the ones who have no actual control over the direction of the game. Theyre here to talk and nothing else, they dont work on the game or anything.

uh, what?
    Edited by Ramayana on 3/3/2014 4:37 PM PST
    Reply Quote
    100 Human Paladin
    So, what happens to all the older items that currently cost JP and honor? I hope they're not planning on removing/Black Marketing a bunch of items, many with unique appearances, to satisfy another developmental flight of fancy. I don't have nearly enough bag space to hold all of the old PvP armors, BC justice gear, assorted weapons and offhands...
    Reply Quote
    100 Night Elf Hunter
    03/03/2014 03:38 PMPosted by Towercontrol

I know. That's why lottery sales are at all time lows and why gameshows no longer exist. Not to mention collectible card games and the various mystery packaging type collectible items. RNG is commonly seem in forms of entertainment and reward systems within real life.
    Reply Quote
    100 Draenei Shaman
    I wish Blizzard would stop posting half-ideas and making people wait for more.

I bet we will hear nothing for a few days, than get a message saying it will be released in "days", than "hours".

Finally, after all the hype, they will release a blog post, just re-stating what is said in the interview.

WTB beta.
    Reply Quote
    the RNG suspense is what keeps people addicted whether your like it or not, much like people addicted to gambling

blizzard will never remove the rng aspect
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]