Malygos - what do you read? (fantasy/sci-fi)

85 Night Elf Rogue
Trip to Guatemala coming up, need some good reading material.

I'll kick it off then:
Hairlock bared his teeth. "The Tiste Andii are Mother Dark's first children. You've felt the tremors through the Warrens of Sorcery, Tayschrenn. So have I. Ask Dujek about the reports coming down from the North Campaign. Elder magic - Kurald Galain. The Lord of Moon's Spawn is the Master Archmage - you know his name as well as I do."
Currently rereading Steven Erikson's Tales of the Malazan Book of the Fallen; excerpt from book one, Gardens of the Moon. The tenth/final book is being published in February and it's going to be awe-inspiring. Probably the second-best installment into the high/dark fantasy genre I've read, easily tied with GRRM's Song of Ice and Fire, but still a few steps behind JRRT's Silmarillion.
Edited by Verelyse on 12/1/2010 12:57 PM PST
Reply Quote
Check out Old Man's War by John Scalzi - pretty good read.
Reply Quote
83 Dwarf Priest
Eric Flynt has a good series of books. I'm also reading Harry Turtledove. Of course I like hard SF. grew up on Heinlein, Asimov etc.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Death Knight
If you like dark fantasy pick up The Black Company by Glen Cook.

If you like good sci-fi try Allen Steele, the Coyote Series in particular is fantastic.
Reply Quote
84 Undead Warlock
R. A. Salvatore's The Demonwars Sega and The Sega of The First King are some of the finest fantasy out there.

I'm going to catch a lot of flak for that, but Salvatore is an awesome writer.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
Being the nerd I am, I would recommend re-reading the Harry Potter series if you enjoy those. The Immortal Nicholas Flamel series by Michael Scott, starting with The Alchemyst, is another great series. It's a fictional piece based on real people. (For those unaware, Nicholas Flamel was a real alchemist/philosopher in England around the 1400s. While him and his wife supposedly died of natural causes and had a funeral noted by many, their tombs were found empty soon after, leaving their story noticed by many). Cycle of Hatred (http://www.wowwiki.com/Cycle_of_Hatred), which is a Warcraft novel, was another good little book. I picked it up randomly in my early days of WoW, before I realized how many books there were. I hope to read them all someday. Until then, I can only recommend this one from experience. I can't think of many others from my collection that might fit your type.

Enjoy your trip and safe travels!
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
series by Michael Scott
Edited by Renenet on 12/2/2010 8:57 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Priest
I read...

Wheel of Time (if you can sludge through books 4-10) - Robert Jordan

Belgariad/Mallorean - David Eddings
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
Waaaaay back in 5th grade I read the Dragon of the Lost Sea series by Lawrence Yep and the Dealing with Dragons quartet by Patricia C Wrede [basically anything dragon related was a first pick on what to read]. To this day I still try to read the Dealing with Dragons quartet every few years, and can't wait to share it with my daughter. It is short, geared for children, but the comedy I still really enjoy. Lost Sea was awesome, but I haven't read it in almost 2 decades, so I have no idea what I would think of it as an adult.

Really liked the Dark Jewel Trilogy by Anne Bishop as well.

Currently I am reading Wizard of Oz to my toddler, as well as Disney's "Small World" series of books [mostly Russia, she requests Juggling Goofey almost every night], and anything Curious George.
Reply Quote
I always suggest the complete collection of The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy if you need a good laugh and things are getting way too serious.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Death Knight

A few books i would recommend is Mercadies Lackey series. Start with Arrows Flight (or Mage Pawn if you dont mind a gay character). Also the Deeds of Pakensarrion is one of my favorites. Try Sword of Truth by Terry Goodkind also. Great writer.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
12/21/2010 3:04 PMPosted by Jobelm
A few books i would recommend is Mercadies Lackey series. Start with Arrows Flight (or Mage Pawn if you dont mind a gay character). Also the Deeds of Pakensarrion is one of my favorites. Try Sword of Truth by Terry Goodkind also. Great writer.

I started with the Last Herald Mage trilogy actually, and this might show my age, but when I finished reading it and saw the lyrics to Shadow Lover at the end I looked it up in Napster. I was happily surprised to find the song, and upon further research found the CDs for her books, and completely fell in love with Heather Alexander's work. However, since I will never see her in concert, I now have to content myself with Alexander Adams. [to any not familiar, he had a sex change a few years back.]
Reply Quote
Reading is for nerds

Get some of that Guatemalan vag, I heard it's top shelf
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
Bumping!

Also, for anybody looking for reading material, try looking at www.reddit.com/r/books.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
Ended up taking/rereading A Game of Thrones, really helped when it came to sitting in airports for +10 hours between flights. There's some nice books here though, and I'll be checking out several of them here soon. Thanks!

PS: Also working through Gauntlgrym.
Reply Quote
84 Undead Warlock
01/08/2011 6:18 AMPosted by Verelyse
Also working through Gauntlgrym.

Massive spoiler: Everybody dies.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Hunter
H.P Lovecraft.
Reply Quote
85 Human Rogue
Bret Ellis
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
I got a few books this week and am really looking forward to reading them.

The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams
A Confederacy of Dunces - John Kennedy Toole
Unbearable Lightness - Portia de Rossi (not fantasy, but she's awesome)
Books 1-3 of the Percy Jackson series - Rick Riordan
Edited by Renenet on 1/9/2011 5:35 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]