Archaeology: So You Think You Can Dig?

91 Human Paladin
Should have named this guide "So You Think You Can GRIND?"

It has been stated many times before, but this profession need serious attention. Here are my recommendations:

1) After you have solved EVERY item in any particular race/group, you should never get those dig sites again.

OR

2) Make it a progressive RNG. For example, let's say that for every common item you solve, you get a small part or evidence towards a rare in that group. Then you could make it so that you get rares based upon the amount of time invested, and balance the solves around that.

OR

3) Let the player choose which race(s) to focus on. For example, I would go to the library or trainer and do "research" on one or two different races that I wish to focus my searches on. Then balance the dig sites to either "proc" more often for those chosen types and/or give more fragments/digs per dig site.
90 Human Paladin
Yeah, I'm having the same problem, no dig sites showing up. Anywhere! So I can't do Archy at all till Blizz fixes this!
85 Tauren Druid
01/17/2011 7:44 PMPosted by Scarla
The thing that disappointed me the most about the list of 359 weapons available through Arch -- no Agility + Stamina item.

Plate people get a 1 hand sword and a two hand sword, so you get flexibility depending on your spec. Casters have not one but two staffs.

What do they give the rogues and feral druids? A level 80 1 hand axe item level 226. Sigh.

For the next tier of archy rewards the reverse QQ will happen. Just watch lol.
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
Found an Obelisk in a Random dungeon, had a Daily mark on it, said it needed a "Nerubian Obelisy Keystone" any idea what these are for?
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I think that they should change the skill just a liittle bit in the next patch. It shouldn't be based on chance it should be a series of progressivly better items until you get to the epic item for each faction. Now to make it ballenced their should be ALOT of grays in there to make shure its not free eppics but it shouldnt be luck based....Also instead of being 4 digsites that rotate around the contenent it should be 1 digsite per race on that contenent that is always for that race but rotates around the diferent digsites...that away you can farm a perticular faction without having to get the other factions sites...for example after you finish getting the mount and pet for fossils you shouldnt have to keep farming them to unlock trolll and dwarf sites.....i may be the only one that feels this way but i hope blizzard at least thinks about this.
85 Tauren Paladin
Overall, I honestly think this profession is 'ok' at best. But it's fine, we at least are made to work and grind for a great reward at the end of the toiling. But I've been at 525 arch for quite a while now and I've already noticed several problems with the prof that others have noted earlier (some that have not):

1) When you complete all of the commons and rares for a set race, you are still forced to farm them while getting other races. For example, I've finished both Night Elf and Fossils completely by farming kalimdor for the last week, and while completely finishing up both of these sets, I've only gotten 6 (yes, S-I-X) solves for the Tol'vir. This is mostly due to the fact that Blizzard implemented way to many Night Elf zones into the game...or...not enough tol'vir. I felt the same way when i was forcing myself to farm Nerubian archaeology; because 4 zones for nerubian and 24-28 zones for vykrul is very skewed in the wrong direction. Also, lets not forget that while farming for nerubian, you also have to farm Night Elf and Troll too. Honestly in the next patch when the limit on fragments is put at 200, zones from that race should no longer be able to spawn on the map, increasing your chances at being able to get other races that you are moving onto farming.

2) Scrolls/Obelisks/etc. are very skewed in drops. Some friends and myself ran tests to see the drop rates for each races individual keystone. The Nerubian and the Tol'vir, being the hardest races to grind for, have the lowest drop for their keystones. That really doesn't make sense if given some thought. If you spend all week farming tol'vir, you're lucky to get maybe 10 - 15 solves based on your luck with the dig site spawns, but then you only get roughly 3 - 5 hieroglyphs? Highborne scrolls have a rediculous drop chance. When i was farming the Tyrande's Favorite Doll I had roughly 50 highborne scrolls in a day and about 2 tol'vir hieroglyphs after everything was said and done (I'm still farming Tol'vir and the hieroglyphs still live up to their reputation of extremely low drop chances).

3) Balance out the dig sites please. Night Elves may have a myriad of sites in lore, but they don't need about 60 - 80 dig sites worldwide. It chokes the other races that you are trying to grind and prevents you from getting anything but Nightelf. They are seriously on every continent except outlands. In fact, Outlands was the best example of Archaeology that the Blizz dev staff has done. Two races, Dranei and Orc, both were perfectly balanced across outlands and it was relatively fun and easy to gather fragments for both races. Why? Because there WASN'T ANY NIGHTELVEN DIG SITES.

I'm not crying to you saying that his profession is hard, or "nerf it blizz, i cant get free lewtz!" I'm actually saying that this profession is a nice touch to the game, but it really needs some balancing. More so toward my idea in problem 1. I've been farming for roughly 2 weeks to get tol'vir and all i get is Nightelf zones and Im currently sitting at 1.5k night elf fragments with only 7 tol'vir solves. I honestly feel that this profession should be more user friendly rather than making it a grind-fest that completely defeats the purpose and overall mentality of making the game relatively casual but having some separation in a way for the hardcore players. But this is kinda torturous with the way you currently have it set up. I've been playing this game for the last 6 years and I've enjoyed the game for most of the time its been around, but this honestly is the first thing I've whole-heartedly disagreed with the dev team on. Please balance out this profession or you will honestly see less people take the time work on it. Please consider my ideas for future changes in this great idea for a profession.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
15/20 for the Professor title. I must become Professor Dijkstra.

I'm currently in the middle of getting fragments for Inkeeper's Daughter and the Ring of the Boy Emporer. Once I get both of those, I'm off to Northrend for trying to get the Vrykul and 2 Nerubian rares for my last 3 (And the Doll or the Sword from NE or Troll, if I get lucky). Wish me luck.
90 Night Elf Druid
01/20/2011 3:21 PMPosted by Lightwielder
I think that they should change the skill just a liittle bit in the next patch. It shouldn't be based on chance it should be a series of progressivly better items until you get to the epic item for each faction. Now to make it ballenced their should be ALOT of grays in there to make shure its not free eppics but it shouldnt be luck based....Also instead of being 4 digsites that rotate around the contenent it should be 1 digsite per race on that contenent that is always for that race but rotates around the diferent digsites...that away you can farm a perticular faction without having to get the other factions sites...for example after you finish getting the mount and pet for fossils you shouldnt have to keep farming them to unlock trolll and dwarf sites.....i may be the only one that feels this way but i hope blizzard at least thinks about this.

You're not the only one who feels this, I like your idea. I have a big issue with the Tol'Vir sites, I just got the opportunity to create the Scarab Pendant....whoopee....150 fragments for a totally useless item. It's bad enough that it takes as long as it does for a dig site in Uldum to appear, but this....this is ridiculous. Until they tweak this profession I'm done with it, it's just not worth my time.
90 Orc Death Knight
SURE Great IF ya enjoy TOYS
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
15/20 for the Professor title. I must become Professor Dijkstra.

I'm currently in the middle of getting fragments for Inkeeper's Daughter and the Ring of the Boy Emporer. Once I get both of those, I'm off to Northrend for trying to get the Vrykul and 2 Nerubian rares for my last 3 (And the Doll or the Sword from NE or Troll, if I get lucky). Wish me luck.

I wish You Luck I have been on 18/20 for the last 2 weeks.... the chance of getting the title Is rarer than the items you are searching for,because the number of rares is a lot smaller now ,I think there are 25 rares ...so i have 7 rares to find... sword, staffs and a few others, I put a ton of time into it.. Canoptic jars Just sick of them, got the vial of the sands recipe on the 2nd Jar and Now that Jar comes up every 2nd time i do tol;vir...the inn keeps Daughter is wothless shares the cd with your Hearthstone..what a load of crap.. If you think the rares are hard.. the title is 100 times harder to get ..can be done..this year or next
85 Human Mage
Just burned 1600 Troll frags+60 keystones and 1600 dwarf frags+50 keystones on my alt. Lvled him from 80 to 85 just by doing archaeology. My mage has probably done 3000+ dwarf frags and about same with trolls before I jumped to my alt.

No dwarf staff
No troll 2H

At least I got my pally to lvl 85. WoW time not completely wasted. But still hurts...
I will only do arch when waiting for a heroic queue or smth that needs waiting. No more grinding for hours.
I think the only thing I enjoy more than sitting around with my Professor title is reading the QQ-fest this thread has turned into.
i started completing artifacts when my archeology was like 35 is that bad?
85 Undead Hunter
01/25/2011 6:44 AMPosted by Alexbones
i started completing artifacts when my archeology was like 35 is that bad?

It's not BAD it's just inefficient.
85 Gnome Rogue
As far as the future of archeology goes, this is whats going to happen:

1. This upcoming patch they raise the prices of commons and limit us to 200 frags per race. (if you have more they will not go away but you can't collect more until you go below 200).

-This is the beginning of "resetting" the profession, so imbalance in the amount of frags players have evens out.

2. Next patch they remove any frags you have not yet spent above 200.

-Finishing the "reset", they give you time to spend the frags, woe to you if you didn't.

3. At this point they put an actual fix on the profession so that any changes they make (such as a fragment trader, new rares, ability to turn off finished races sites, etc, etc, etc) which we have yet to see what it will be can go along with everyone basically starting back at zero.

This current "fix" seems like a cop out to me, but I am assuming it is in order to even out the balance of fragments so when an actual fix happens people don't have 4,000 night elf and fossil frags ready to burn on whatever the change is. So save your frags for now, burn em in the patch and then pray for the "real" change to happen.
85 Night Elf Rogue
Utu
looking at http://www.wowpedia.org/Archaeology_rewards
I dont see anything epic thats useful for hunters (lvl 85)
I think more gear/items should be added
85 Draenei Shaman
I Figure I'll throw this in here since this is the sticky.

Been working on this profession and its associated achievements for entirely too many hours, driving myself nuts, which is probably why I decided this seemed like a good idea:

http://www.wowtrackers.com

Currently it's a beta version of an archaeology relic tracking database, made it much easier to see where I needed to head for each of the relics... and helped give me some idea what I have left before I've gotten everything.

I decided to make it public so that the site wasn't entirely a selfish exercise.
Either way, if anyone else finds this helpful, great! =)

This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]