Archaeology: So You Think You Can Dig?

85 Draenei Shaman
I haven't read the whole thread but I would say I'm in the same boat as a lot of you, trying to get the best 2h in the game before nefarion and coming up dry after hours and hours.

I leveled archaeology to 450 on my dk saving all my troll fragments and tablets until i hit 450. I hit 450 and had 1469 fragments and 32 tablets which equated to 57 solves and no luck. I know some people have gone 200+ solves and still nothing, but I don't want to be in that boat and nothing to show for it. I'll keep solving troll artifacts but I really hope blizzard does something about this, yes I know it's a rare artifact however...

Archaeology is the only profession that may not pay off (or not pay off in the way you want it to) after investing hours or days into it. If you want two extra sockets you invest time and thousands of gold into blacksmithing, if you want extra stats from gems you level jewelcrafting, if you want to cook your own food you level cooking, if you want to catch fish you level fishing. If you want the best 2h strength weapon in the game before nefarion and you dont raid or it's your alt which will never see nefarion, you level archaeology, but instead of finding the one rare artifact which was the sole purpose of leveling archaeology, I got dancing dwarves and a crummy mirror.

I know what a lot of people are thinking, yes it's a rare drop it's not supposed to be easy to get, and I agree, but when people have 200+ solves (plus the solves from dwarf, fossil, and the odd nelf artifact) and still don't have Zin'rokh, there's a serious time invested per payoff issue here, and if you're still telling those people with 200+ solves to QQ more then it means you dont want the sword, or already have it.

It seems the solution is simple, the more solves you have of a race, the greater the chance of finding the rare artifact(s) of that particular race. It preserves RNG so all those lucky people who get it 2 solves after 450 and gloat about it can still do so, but also means less and less people going hundreds of solves and hours without finding it. Maybe even after a certain amount of solves it becomes a guaranteed drop, to prevent those incredibly unlucky people from never seeing it.

edit: up to 116 troll solves post 450 and still nothing
Edited by Athiera on 2/13/2011 7:15 AM PST
85 Night Elf Druid
I'm going to have to agree with most people here and say that I've been rather disappointed with archaeology.
As Ginnykins said, the epic items do need to be rare and I'll agree with that. I don't think people should be able to put in 4-5 hours and have epic gear. The only thing I would say is that the gear we are getting is only ilvl 359. Leatherworking, tailoring, blacksmithing ect all have epic ilvl 359 items that can be crafted, and the time you would spend farming for all the mats for all those isn't half as much as what I have put into archaeology.

I fully agree with Athiera's idea where you start out with some base % chance of getting an epic item to solve and each time you solve a common item then it increases the chance that an epic will be the next available one to solve until an epic item shows up. This way you don't have some people that have wasted 60+ hours over a couple of weeks with nothing to show for it.

I really want the night elf trinket and I can't say that I've put in nearly as much time as some of the other people on this thread, but reading some of them saying they've done 200+ solves and not come up with anything is making me not want to bother even trying.
I don't mind grinding for the items that I want, but I don't want to grind knowing that it could all be in vain.
Edited by Oplunes on 2/7/2011 10:00 AM PST
70 Blood Elf Warlock
so its useless for a blood elf warlock to do this prof.
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Some observations after a weekend of grinding for the troll sword (67 troll solves, still no luck, but I'm aware of how long the odds are):

1. It is bad enough that generating a rare is utterly random. Coupled with what how random generating sites is, though, you wind up with a huge headache. In the past day, I have more than once had a continent that is at four dwarf sites, or four fossil sites, and then proceed to generate four more fossil or four more dwarf sites. It seems that either I have terribly bad luck in terms of what the RNG gives me, or there is some sort of distribution algorithm in Archaeology that favors the things that are easiest to get. It is beyond odd that I have a better shot at generating troll digs in Northrend when I am trying to generate Nerubian sites, yet over the past five days that has happened.

2. Again, the Twilight Highlands digs are just cruel. The Grim Batol dig site is, during questing, an area where you have help fighting the mobs, and EVERY fragment that comes up is right next to four mobs.

3. The surveying pointer is broken. I use Archy to help, and more than once I see this happen: dig, it's red and pointing north. I run the 70 yards that Archy indicates is the start of red, stop, dig again. It is now pointing south. I run 70 yards, BACK WHERE I STARTED, dig, and now it points southwest. And don't get me started about what happens when you're dealing with a multilevel dig like the troll cities in Hinterlands or Ymirheim, you're just as well off digging at random there.

Archaeology is the only profession where RNG hits you this hard. No, I don't want Zin'rokh handed to me on a silver platter in 10 solves, but I'd like SOME hope that if I keep at this, I will see it someday, and right now I don't have that. And even if I did, the way sites are distributed and the utterly broken surveying pointer make even getting common artifacts a pain. I like archaeology overall, but it really could use some polish, more than "oh, bribe them with high vendor prices for commons."
90 Night Elf Druid
Sorry can't talk need to start my new job that there is <1% chance that I will get paid.

Think there has been some really good suggestions on this forum and I really hope they implement some of them. Having at least one dig site for every race up at all times would be nice, shrinking some of the sites for fossils (like Hillsbad for example). Increasing the value for junk artifacts. Progression of the skill, increase % chance of 359 items based on number of artifacts created.
Edited by Theltis on 2/8/2011 1:19 PM PST
86 Human Priest
02/07/2011 7:48 AMPosted by Soulquencher
so its useless for a blood elf warlock to do this prof.

Except for the Dwarf staff, Night Elf trinket, and Tol'vir ring...
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I noticed that if the telescope points outside the boundries of the digsite (which you can't even find this out without Archy) it really means to travel alongside the boundry in that direction.

Guess it only points within the boundries of the digsite, rather than the literal location of the item. This just leads to frustration.
90 Human Warlock
I have enjoyed grinding Archeology during slow times. I am a rabid afk'er sometimes and activities that allow me to move at my own pace work well for me.

For those that doubt, I have gotten the Troll sword, the Dwarf Staff and the NE Trinket - it can be done. I will add however that I was at ~125 (yes many repeats) Troll solves before it popped, and ~110 Dwarf solves before the staff popped.

I also want to add that I *really* appreciate Blizz bumping up (greatly in a few cases) the vendor value of the commons. I was sitting on many, many fragments simply because there was no reason to solve for an item that clogs my bags and vendors for 5-10 silver. It was fun yesterday to crank through them all and get two Kraken Tentacles or Silver Scroll Cases in a row.

Finally, when it comes to learning how the surveying works, you need to learn the zones, pay attention to which way you're facing and where you are in the zone. If you're on the edge and it points out of the zone and is red, be smart and move farther into the zone and do it again. The locations of the fragments are static and you can begin to guess where it's pointing after you've worked a zone a few times. Furthermore, I'd actually like to see more stats on this: total solves, solves per race, zones completed, average number of surveys per fragment collection - it would interesting.
85 Orc Death Knight
[quote="20464637394"]I have enjoyed grinding Archeology during slow times. I am a rabid afk'er sometimes and activities that allow me to move at my own pace work well for me.

With over 10,000 achievement points, you are not afk that much, tell the truth.....
90 Night Elf Rogue
i must say that leveling my arch to 525 was a grind , but the bull about this profession is that you work this hard to get to level 525 and you get rare items to make and when you get them its very disapointing , item that are soulbound and account bound , so how does blizzard justify this , cooking is a secondary profession and you can still make good gold on cooking , same with fishing , i have made good gold on both of these secondary professions , To top it off when Blizzard anounced the new Arch profession they had plans to include a path of the titans and ended up cancelling that plan .

So tell me blizzard what are the rewards to the players who are flying all around Azeroth, spending all kinds of time on this secondary profession to only get items that you cant sell to other players but only vendor for little gold , lets face not all players are going to put the time into this profession , so shouldnt the few who do benefit from it in some way .

The most recent patch only raised the amount of gold for vendoring , how about the next patch make certain items crafted in Arch to BoE , would be a nice thing to do for the few grinding Arch ,
85 Orc Warrior
So if I wanted to try my luck on Zin'Rokh, should I not level past 450? Just stay at 450 and keep farming EK?
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Im at 113ish troll solves and nada... I do like a lot of the suggestions that were presented, I just wish we'd get some sort of a response...
Edited by Qwåke on 2/14/2011 10:28 AM PST
I'm maxed out at arch and i've gotten 19 rares so far. And one thing that gets real annoying is. . . Why so many Fossil sites in Eastern Kingdom? its like showing up 25% of the time and i'm getting tired of it. and by 25% i mean out of the 4 sites u get on the continent 1 will always be fossil.
85 Human Priest
I was gonna do some archaeology today after doing dailies, but then I just decided to punch myself in the nuts as hard as I could. It was just like doing archaeology and I saved alot of time!
85 Goblin Death Knight
New and exciting profession? Give me a break. It's mining without the straight forward skill-ups mixed with blacksmithing, only you can't choose anything about what you dig up or where, let alone what you end up crafting. So thanks Blizzard, I've spent 3 miserable days at 525 and gotten every Night Elf artifact but the trinket. Over 150 crafts for NE alone, still nothing. Thanks for the 6k gold from your worthless trash, can you fix your crap now? Kthx.
85 Night Elf Warrior
i think this profession is aimed towards what you dont need.. my warrior has gotten the staff @53 (Dwarf) solves, the caster ring (Tol'vir) 5th solve, well over 130 troll solves post 450 no sword.

so leveled my lock.. from level 75 - 84 just digging arch..
1453 frags for troll 58 tablets..

still no sword..
85 Night Elf Druid
Just wondering if anybody with the professor title has had a rare artifact pop up after they achieved the title. I got my 20th rare back on 1/6/11 and have been farming Kalimdor for the trinket and staff. I'm up over 500 night elf solves with no luck on the trinket. I don't mind continuing to farm for it, but would like some confirmation if anyone has been able to get additional rares once they achieved their title.
85 Goblin Death Knight
02/15/2011 8:18 AMPosted by Fleetweasel
Just wondering if anybody with the professor title has had a rare artifact pop up after they achieved the title. I got my 20th rare back on 1/6/11 and have been farming Kalimdor for the trinket and staff. I'm up over 500 night elf solves with no luck on the trinket. I don't mind continuing to farm for it, but would like some confirmation if anyone has been able to get additional rares once they achieved their title.

Over 500 solves? It may be different for you, but as a full-time nursing student who works outside of class, I dont have 60 hours of free time a week to get crapped on by blizzard
85 Night Elf Warrior
02/15/2011 10:16 AMPosted by Annwn

Over 500 solves? It may be different for you, but as a full-time nursing student who works outside of class, I dont have 60 hours of free time a week to get crapped on by blizzard

We are in the same boat - Nuclear medicine
85 Orc Death Knight
Oh this is great, I am 525 on my alt, a lvl 80 warrior and I have 3 digsites in Twilight Highlands up at the same time. Guess which one is in that group.....yep Grim Batol. There is no way my poor little lvl 80 can even consider doing that area......C'mon Blizz take that site out of the game, it is hard for my level 85 DK.........RNG IS HORRIBLE, cause I dont even want any dwarf frags........
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]