Archaeology: So You Think You Can Dig?

First of all thank you to the OP for the brilliant thread. It was very useful to get started with archaeology yesterday!

Second, I have to say that I have also found a bugged dig site that pointed to outside the dig area. Standing just at the edge of the dig site pointing out, the survey tool would be green, but if I went even one pace in the direction that it was pointing at, it would not allow me to dig. I tried different angles, but no joy - it kept pointing me always to this undiggable spot just outside the edge of the area (Dire Maul, in one of the corners of the courtyard). Which leads me to a...

QUESTION!
If I don't dig completely one of the dig sites on my map, will it stay there forever or will it be replaced, at some point, by a different site?

I am concerned that this undiggable artefact in Dire Maul is just going to keep that dig site stuck on my map reducing my dig sites to 3 on Kalimdor.
85 Undead Priest
I dont understand what you mean by pick your race. Does this mean i should not solve any race but the one I want the epic for?
85 Dwarf Paladin
QUESTION!

If I don't dig completely one of the dig sites on my map, will it stay there forever or will it be replaced, at some point, by a different site?

I am concerned that this undiggable artefact in Dire Maul is just going to keep that dig site stuck on my map reducing my dig sites to 3 on Kalimdor.

I had this similar problem yesterday with an artifact location that was literally in a cliff face. There was no where I could stand and reach the exact location i was being pointed to. What I did was I left for a while and when I came back it was still the same site, but the artifact was actually in a different spot. So I would suggest just coming back and hoping it gives you a new spot that isn't buggy.
Edited by Softserve on 12/8/2010 8:21 AM PST
80 Dwarf Rogue
12/03/2010 11:07 AMPosted by Dahuntaa
Don't think I've run into that issue yet.

It's absurd. Anytime I get on a FP and alt-tab, even if it's just for a couple minutes, I come back to a "You have been disconnected from the server" message.

I'm not sure if it's because of zone changing or something else but it forces you to keep the game open and maximized.

Thankfully we'll be flying around on our own in a few days... I'll just wait 'til my new character is level 70 or more before starting Archeology, assuming I bother with it at all. The rewards are garbage so it's really low priority (I might actually quit before I get desperate enough to mess around with it).

Just switch your game to windowed mode and this bug won't happen.
85 Dwarf Warrior
Thanks for writing this guide!

Jimthan
GM of <Overcast>
Seattle/Puget Sound/Pacific Northwest
10 Person Raiding / Rated PVP / Social
overcast.guildzilla.com
85 Gnome Rogue
12/08/2010 8:20 AMPosted by Softserve
QUESTION!

I had this similar problem yesterday with an artifact location that was literally in a cliff face. There was no where I could stand and reach the exact location i was being pointed to. What I did was I left for a while and when I came back it was still the same site, but the artifact was actually in a different spot. So I would suggest just coming back and hoping it gives you a new spot that isn't buggy.

If you go and dig in a different site, it will reset the specific location of your artifacts. So if you get a bug, go somewhere else, dig, and come back. It'll be fixxed.
83 Night Elf Rogue
Since the items you get are bound to account and u can send them to any of your characters on any server, do they scale to their level or do they need to be the level of the item to use it? Like say I find the destroyer of worlds sword, if one of my alts is gonna use it he needs to be level 80?
85 Human Warlock
I recently learned the Archeology skill and I can not seem to find any dig sites. I looked on every continent, zone, and world but seem to find nothing. I created a ticket but Blizzard referred me to here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
85 Gnome Rogue
Miro, they show up as tiny shovels on the large map. There should be 4 available to you at all times on every continent.
85 Worgen Mage
I'm at skill 203 and am not seeing any digsites in Outland. Are there any?
I only have my skill to 106 or so, and I have found 4 Highborne Scroll cases, which is a keystone for Night Elf artifacts....but I have no diea how to use them. Any hints as to how to use them to "solve" artifacts? Thanks!
85 Night Elf Rogue
12/08/2010 12:09 PMPosted by Exopod
I'm at skill 203 and am not seeing any digsites in Outland. Are there any?

At 300 you will see the ones in Outland.
12/07/2010 5:43 AMPosted by Jinnie
Under Professions tab, click on Archaeology.
Then click under say Night Elf or Fossil and it will show the number of Fragments to complete an artifact.

Thank you for this.

I found that location very unintuitive, but then again I didn't really think of these things as "recipes", and was simply looking for currency.
100 Human Mage
Projects? How do you start those?

I have been collecting various fragments. When I loot them, it says I am collecting it as currency, but I don't see them in my currency tab.
85 Orc Warrior
Edited by Synv on 12/10/2010 10:42 AM PST
really enjoying archaeology so far, it provides a nice break from the questing grind and i can't wait for the sick rewards at max level.

question: how important is it to save all your fragments till lv100? i'm currently at lv87 or so and have been saving up all my fragments, but it's becoming really hard to level up from harvesting the dig sites.
can i just say forget it and get a bunch of skillups from artifacts now?

thanks.
85 Human Priest
12/08/2010 10:59 AMPosted by Moeror
Since the items you get are bound to account and u can send them to any of your characters on any server, do they scale to their level or do they need to be the level of the item to use it? Like say I find the destroyer of worlds sword, if one of my alts is gonna use it he needs to be level 80?

They are BOA but they are not heirlooms, and they do not scale.

In the patch notes today, there was a note or two about fixing some unfindable or unreachable fragments. So keep bugging those when you encounter them and hopefully they will be fixed fast.
85 Human Priest
12/08/2010 12:00 PMPosted by Miroslov
I recently learned the Archeology skill and I can not seem to find any dig sites. I looked on every continent, zone, and world but seem to find nothing. I created a ticket but Blizzard referred me to here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

There is a check box on the bottom of the map to turn dig sites on or off. Mine was on by default, but check this to make sure. Also you might want to turn off any map replacement add-ons (if there are any) that you have. The dig sites show up when you view a single continent on your main map (so hit 'm' by default and then zoom in or out to see all of Eastern Kingdoms, for example) as very small shovel icons.
85 Human Priest
12/08/2010 12:10 PMPosted by Rhett
I only have my skill to 106 or so, and I have found 4 Highborne Scroll cases, which is a keystone for Night Elf artifacts....but I have no diea how to use them. Any hints as to how to use them to "solve" artifacts? Thanks!

Not all artifacts will allow you to use the scrolls/rune stones etc. Some artifacts will have a little blank spot on the lower left part of the artifact page, just below the counter showing you how many fragments you have. You can then click in the blank spot to add the scroll, which acts like 12 free fragments towards completion.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]