Dark Sim Has Too High a Skillcap

2 Dwarf Hunter

Spell Reflect doesn't require that you know what your opponent is about to do like Dark Sim. Some warriors just pop Spell Reflect to help survive against a mob of enemy players, not because they skillfully saw that destro warlock casting Soulfire in the back.

Bad warriors will just pop it. Good warriors save it for larger casts for for reflecting CC. A reflected Ice Lance is a waste, but a reflected Frostbolt/Icelance combo will hurt.

It's the same thing with Dark Simulcrum. If you blow it on stupid stuff, it will be a waste. If you save it for when you know something big (or an important CC) is coming your way and pop it, you can use it to your advantage...or you can use it to get a heal on yourself ^_____^
Reply Quote
80 Human Warrior
Not only does spell reflection require just as much foresight as Dark Sim but it's also more predictable. The warrior has to first pop on his shield, then a graphic of white shines above their head. Once that shield's on, any good player will assume a spell reflect. And not preemtively putting on the shield can cause you to not spell reflect in time due to latency.

But good warriors rarely use spell reflect on a whim, they see a cast of starfire and they pop it, or they're snared and they get ready to pop it. Dark Sim won't be much different.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
there are some dks that challenge the notion that it's a noob class played by bads.....

and then there are all the dks that reinforce that stereotype...
i love this
Edited by Glytch on 12/1/2010 3:39 PM PST
Reply Quote
3 Undead Rogue
It's an RNG ability just like spell reflect. The thing you should really be concerned about is whether cast times will be long enough to actually be able to react in time to get a DS off.

I just hope they raised the cast time on sheep enough to actually be able to interrupt/DS it.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
FEAR MY WATER BREATHING!
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Shaman
FEAR MY WATER BREATHING!

Psh, water breathing is just a distraction. The true terror is water walking!
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight

But good warriors rarely use spell reflect on a whim, they see a cast of starfire and they pop it, or they're snared and they get ready to pop it. Dark Sim won't be much different.

That's rubbish - spell reflect is on such a short cooldown that warriors can afford to "waste" it on smaller spells simply to take advantage of the defensive nature of the ability.

The fact is that if you make a mistake with spell reflect, you have to wait a few seconds to do it again, if you make a mistake with Dark Sim then that's it for another minute (at which point the fight will probably be over).

DKs didn't need another ability that requires clairvoyance - our defensive abilities have been nerfed so far and so hard that we are now one of the easiest targets to burn (I have a mage and a hunter), and it's trivial to make a DK waste IBF or AMS since we have to pop them preemptively.
Edited by Gurht on 12/1/2010 4:11 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Rogue
FH
So many people getting baited by the troll.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
Title says it all. DS requires you to know what you’re opponent is going to do before he even does it. It’s something a good player can do but not something an average player like myself is capable of 100% of the time. Why not change it to something more noob-friendly?

Plus the spell already has limited use. Because DS doesn’t cancel the next incoming spell, it’s mandatory to have your trinket or AMS off cooldown to make the ability effective. You can copy the paladin’s stun (if you can guess when he’s going to use it) but even then you’ll have to wait out that 5 seconds to unleash his own spell back on him. It doesn’t seem right that I need another cooldown to make DS effective.

why ANYONE would want any of their spells to get the "vanish treatment" is beyond me
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Death Knight
So many people getting baited by the troll.

Yep, I decided to troll on my main.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Get the mage/rogue/whatever low and gnaw the priest into a DS. Will he pain sup? If he wants his partners to live... but then you just got yourself a little treasure.
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Death Knight
This has to be a troll post so hard lol. But I'll bite anyway!

Giving a class a skill that allows them to show a high skill level with high rewards is the best gift the devs can give any class. Spell reflect is awesome for the same reason.

*Rubs temples*

My point is that with Spell Reflect you can do some incredible things but it also has a use for people who don't know how to play well whereas DS is a waste for anyone but the most skilled PvPers. And remember that just because you've plotted out what the most logical thing for your enemy to do is and prepared for it, doesn't mean he's going to do it.

In other words, it's not enough to know what the enemy is about to do but you also have to trust he's going to do the smart thing and cast what you were expecting otherwise you've wasted a 1 minute cooldown.

Edited by Valkyrii on 12/1/2010 4:33 PM PST
Reply Quote
3 Undead Rogue
It's an RNG ability just like spell reflect. The thing you should really be concerned about is whether cast times will be long enough to actually be able to react in time to get a DS off.

I just hope they raised the cast time on sheep enough to actually be able to interrupt/DS it.

How is spell reflect or Dark Sim RNG in any way?

RNG in the sense that you can't really predict the next spell your opponent is going to cast. Therefore, it does have a luck component to it and is not entirely skill based.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Death Knight
I want to respond to this post but I don't know how...

The stupidity in this suggestion is absurd.

EDIT: I guess that's all I got...
Edited by Vity on 12/1/2010 4:41 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
This has to be a troll post so hard lol. But I'll bite anyway!

Giving a class a skill that allows them to show a high skill level with high rewards is the best gift the devs can give any class. Spell reflect is awesome for the same reason.

*Rubs temples*

My point is that with Spell Reflect you can do some incredible things but it also has a use for people who don't know how to play well whereas DS is a waste for anyone but the most skilled PvPers. And remember that just because you've plotted out what the most logical thing for your enemy to do is and prepared for it, doesn't mean he's going to do it.

In other words, it's not enough to know what the enemy is about to do but you also have to trust he's going to do the smart thing and cast what you were expecting otherwise you've wasted a 1 minute cooldown.

DS has a longer cd and doesn't require much in the way of set-up (other than reading the pattern of the match)

SR has a short cd and requires a weapon swap

DS doesn't prevent the spell from going off

SR reflects the spell

DS copies the spell to be used offensively of defensively

SR only works against offensive casts

DS works against all casts

Both work offensively and defensively depending on the cast (SR a sheep can arguably be offensive or defensive depending on the progression of the match)

DS has a higher chance of swinging the tide of a match

... AND... warriors are more heavily balanced around spell reflect than dks are around DS.

NOW STOP COMPARING THE TWO DIRECTLY.
Edited by Fridays on 12/1/2010 4:42 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]