Best Healer in terms of Survivability?

Hi all,

Now that the world has been blown up, I've been considering starting a healer to level through some of the new content, but want to be able to take a hit if I need to as well. I.e. I don't want to feel like I'm going to go down in two hits. I was thinking a paladin because of plate, shields, bubbles, and talents that let you heal yourself while you heal others, but I thought I'd ask around before rolling something, especially since mechanics like priest shields and agro drops might do more in the long run than extra armor.

Thanks for your time, it's greatly appreciated.
Reply Quote
83 Tauren Priest
Holy Pally
Reply Quote
55 Undead Death Knight
The amount of survivability you get from plate is minuscule compared to a priest's barrier or a shaman's earthshield

If you are a healer you won't go down in one hit. I'd stay away from a pally just because once you pop a bubble for 8 seconds there's nothing else, whereas a disc priest or shaman can go on and on
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Priest
It's a very complex question that depends a lot on the situation. As far as survivability in a bubble (no pun intended), i.e., who's the most self-sufficient, I think that might be the Paladin.

With an anti-interrupt cooldown, a couple invulnerability cooldowns, and several throughput cooldowns, Paladins have the most chips to cash in when self-preservation is of utmost importance, in my opinion.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
It's a very complex question that depends a lot on the situation.

Holy Pally.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
anything with escape mechanisms that prevent damage by simply avoiding it

pws is last on that list

-The PoTM
Reply Quote
PWS is last on that list? I really am pretty ignorant here (which is why I'm on the forums). Clearly it would be really good for mitigating magical damage compared to plate, but the constant 50% mitigation of physical damage would be nice too. Hopefully I wouldn't have earth shield on myself, but the tank. I'm not sure how Druids fit in there; they seem to have a lot of rooting capacity.
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Paladin
Holy Paladin
Reply Quote
80 Human Paladin
As a general rule, I would say holy paladin more often than not, but I've certainly seen other healers outlast paladins. Depends on the situation and the skill level, honestly.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
PWS is last on that list? I really am pretty ignorant here (which is why I'm on the forums). Clearly it would be really good for mitigating magical damage compared to plate, but the constant 50% mitigation of physical damage would be nice too. Hopefully I wouldn't have earth shield on myself, but the tank. I'm not sure how Druids fit in there; they seem to have a lot of rooting capacity.

You are right it absorbs damage, but the priest class is the only healer class that is forced to tank 100% of the time (without taking possible peelers in consideration since any healer can have them).

I guess in part I misunderstood the OP hes clearly talking about PVE content, in PVE disc is actually quite good thanks to the shield, but being a clothie paladins are still probably the best in that department.

As far as PVP goes all 3 of the other classes have at least 1 escape mechanism to remove snares and get away quickly and fairly efficiently, I think shamans and druids may have it best in that department.

-The PoTM
Edited by Alessandra on 12/1/2010 6:55 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
If you are talking world PvP, it is almost impossible to kill a night elf druid due to shadow meld to flight form macros.

Non-elf druids would stun, root, or cyclone you, followed by travel form or cat spirit, followed by flight form 5 seconds later. Very, very few classes can interrupt that. A good druid can *always* run away from a 1v1 PvP fight.

In PvE content, I personally feel that shamans have it best.
  • Frost shock or earthbind to slow down mobs.
  • A shield, mail armor, stoneskin totem, and grounding totem to mitigate damage.
  • Nature's swiftness and bloodlust/heroism to increase healing throughput.
  • Earth elemental, fire elemental, and stoneclaw totem to draw away aggro.
  • Instant cast, fast ghost wolf form to run away.
Edited by Treeboi on 12/1/2010 8:48 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest
The amount of survivability you get from plate is minuscule compared to a priest's barrier or a shaman's earthshield

If you are a healer you won't go down in one hit. I'd stay away from a pally just because once you pop a bubble for 8 seconds there's nothing else, whereas a disc priest or shaman can go on and on

Stop posting here, Troll.

Holy paladins have the best pvp survivability, no question.

Why? Basically because Holy shock is instant, can't be dispelled, and procs very hard to interrupt bombs. Not to mention Bubble and HoP/HoF, the best defensive CD's in the game.
Edited by Venaliter on 12/1/2010 9:03 PM PST
Reply Quote
Druids fit in there; they seem to have a lot of rooting capacity.

True that!
Reply Quote
1 Human Rogue

Stop posting here, Troll.

Why? Basically because Holy shock is instant, can't be dispelled, and procs very hard to interrupt bombs. Not to mention Bubble and HoP/HoF, the best defensive CD's in the game.

Holy shock hits like a wet fish now, bubble can be broken by warriors and priests easily, only lasts for 8 seconds, HoP renders one useless (does nothing against casters also) and HoF is the only thing that makes a pally able to escape successfully. Even then, holy pallies always have been and still are susceptible to CCs. One counterspell and it's game over. They had their day in 4.0.1 but clearly people like you who do not understand the class should not be evaluating it
Edited by Jacobmullins on 12/1/2010 10:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
6 Undead Mage
How does cc and counterspell hurt paladins more than another healing class?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Holy Pallies, anyone who thinks otherwise is either biased, bad, horribly geared, or any combination of the three.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Priest
How does cc and counterspell hurt paladins more than another healing class?

With fewer periodic/preemptive healing effects, being interrupted means little to no healing going out (depending on whether Holy Radiance was active before interruption). On the opposite end of the spectrum, Druids probably maintain something like 20%-30% of their healing potential for a few moments after being interrupted.

This is balanced by the Paladin's excellent instant/burst response healing - and the Druid's inability to deliver large amounts of healing quickly without using relatively long cooldowns.

In my opinion and such.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
k so i thought i'd drop my 2 cents.

i havent really read the thread the whole way, but people argued that pallys have alot of cds to stay alive. so i thought i'd give my personal experience as a resto shaman.

so i didnt play too seriously after TOC first came out, so im not the most fantastically geared, but running through bgs it takes at least 4 people to drop me because of the following things.

1.earth shield. awesome shield that heals you.
2. cleanse. dps spam magic debuffs and curses, when shamans cleanse it heals us.
3. totems. once im silenced, i just drop stoneskin and grounding, both these totems usually get me through the silence.
4. hex/warstomp if your a tauren. this makes for enough time to easily top off or make a get away.
(bonus): skeleton key. if im really low and silenced, ill use this tank trinket to give me a 6k dmg absorb. in combination with my 4k absorb stoneskin it usually keeps me up.

and at 85 we will have unleash weapon, the ability to cast while moving (on cd), and instant ghostwolf again to make getaways/kite.

Im know alot of other classes have great abilities, but i really do enjoy my resto shaman =)
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest

Holy shock hits like a wet fish now, bubble can be broken by warriors and priests easily, only lasts for 8 seconds, HoP renders one useless (does nothing against casters also) and HoF is the only thing that makes a pally able to escape successfully. Even then, holy pallies always have been and still are susceptible to CCs. One counterspell and it's game over. They had their day in 4.0.1 but clearly people like you who do not understand the class should not be evaluating it

the fact is, Holy shock/WoG are still impossible to interrupt or dispel, and you STILL have the best defensive cooldowns in the game, EVEN if 20% of the classes are able to negate them.

You're the bad here.

Holy Pallies, anyone who thinks otherwise is either biased, bad, horribly geared, or any combination of the three.

Amen.
Edited by Venaliter on 12/2/2010 12:25 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]