Improved Searing Pain

100 Human Warlock
I find the talent Improved Searing Pain to be a little boring and lackluster. An increased crit rate on low health enemies still doesn't warrant picking it up even to level. So, I'm wondering if we could make it interesting since the Destro tree is about quick burst.

There's two ways I see this, one that may be a bit OP but is available to low level Warlocks and one that's less OP but would only be available to high level Warlocks. (Unless they finally decide Incinerate should be the Destro filler before level 64.)

A) Searing Agony
Your critical strikes with Conflagrate have a 50/100% chance to cause your next Searing Pain to be instant cast and generate no threat. This could be potentially OP because of chain burst since Conflag hits like a truck.

B) Searing Agony
Your critical strikes with Incinerate have a 15/30% chance to cause your next Searing Pain to be instant cast and generate no threat. This would be a lot more useful because the proc rate would be lower and Incinerate hits a lot less harder than Conflag. You could also tag a "this effect cannot occur more than once ever X seconds" on it.

This would actually make Destro Warlock have a reason to use Searing Pain and include it somewhat into the rotation.

Thoughts?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
I find the talent Improved Searing Pain to be a little boring and lackluster. An increased crit rate on low health enemies still doesn't warrant picking it up even to level. So, I'm wondering if we could make it interesting since the Destro tree is about quick burst.

There's two ways I see this, one that may be a bit OP but is available to low level Warlocks and one that's less OP but would only be available to high level Warlocks. (Unless they finally decide Incinerate should be the Destro filler before level 64.)

A) Searing Agony
Your critical strikes with Conflagrate have a 50/100% chance to cause your next Searing Pain to be instant cast and generate no threat. This could be potentially OP because of chain burst since Conflag hits like a truck.

B) Searing Agony
Your critical strikes with Incinerate have a 15/30% chance to cause your next Searing Pain to be instant cast and generate no threat. This would be a lot more useful because the proc rate would be lower and Incinerate hits a lot less harder than Conflag. You could also tag a "this effect cannot occur more than once ever X seconds" on it.

This would actually make Destro Warlock have a reason to use Searing Pain and include it somewhat into the rotation.

Thoughts?

Searing Pain, the spell itself, needs to go.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock
The cast time on searing pain is so short that making it instant wouldn't be much of an improvement, especially given how much haste destro locks have.

Also, it does such pitiful damage that the threat it generates isn't even noticeable.

Like the wise warlock above me said, the spell itself just needs to go. If Blizzard still wants us to ever tank again, they just need to attach a positive threat modifier to Demon Armor.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
I wouldn't mind being able to tank...but yes, Searing Pain is a terrible spell. The only time it has ever even been on my action bars was warlock tanking Twin Emps in AQ40.

Any buff they give to Searing Pain through talents won't justify a warlock using the spell; Especially after it has been nerfed even further than the rest of our spells. I could have read tooltips wrong and whatnot, but I believe that Blizzard decided to halve the damage Searing Pain dealt (without removing the threat it caused) at some point in the last two patches (or with a future Cata patch). Again, I might have read something wrong and I apologize if I made myself look like an idiot.

Besides, they could easily make a warlock tanking spec - Demonology. Just nerf down Metamorphosis a bit and attach tank-y things to it like lowering crit chance on us and improving threat (Plus, perma-Demon form would be awesome). Sure, they'd have to reduce damage all-around for demonology, but it's already below the other two specs and simcrafts say it will still be below them with BiS/T11 gear in Cata.

Edit: Obviously that's not ALL they would need to do for warlock tanking, but it's the biggest step in the right direction.
Edited by Mordsuul on 12/1/2010 10:52 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]