Shockadin Holy Power and How to swing it!

85 Dwarf Paladin
If things were actually fine, people wouldn't be trying "shockadin", they'd just be "ret" or "holy"

Nope, not at all. I like healing as Holy, healed a raid yesterday, had the time of my life.

I don't like Ret. I never have. I don't like the playstyle, which is completely independent of how good or bad it is at the time.

I DO like the playstyle of a Holy caster. So, I play a Shockadin, because it's my playstyle of choice. That decision is made independently of the viability of either Holy paladin healing, or Retribution dps.

This.

Also, if we are to dog the name Shockadin at some point we need to have A) another more suitable name, or B) complete acceptance by the community so that when someone says "Holy Paladin" others ask "what kind?". Right now, even if we specifically state that we are offensive or call ourselves Shockadin the community tends to have one of three reactions: WTF, you suck, or why aren't you healing.
Reply Quote
10 Gnome Rogue

Also, you're thinking of Sanctity Aura, which I really wish we had back. :/

Inq will be a fine replacement

it's a small boost for ret, it's a full 30% boost for shock
Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Death Knight
Call the offensive holy paladin: Inquisitor =)
Reply Quote

Or just play a smite spam priest because that's basically what it's going after. -.-

Back in the day there was no Pally unity on the forums or anything. There were Holy Pallies, Shockadins, lolrets and the one nobody ever specced into and you were just an odd gopher if you did(Prot).
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin

Dude....

That is so awesome.

Wont change though. :(
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
. . . or taking ownership of the word

Owning a self-insulting word is still self-insulting.

[qutoe]Spoken like a true privileged majority. You are a credit to your kind...one of the good ones...[/quote]

Quite the opposite my friend. I know first hand what it's like to be a minority (hi, I am teh ret), and the people who embrace insults to their kind drag down the rest of the decent folks of that ethnic group

Chris Rock did a very awesome routine about that (which he doesn't do anymore because some people think it's racist, so that's why I refrain from spelling everything out)

This.

Also, if we are to dog the name Shockadin at some point we need to have A) another more suitable name, or B) complete acceptance by the community so that when someone says "Holy Paladin" others ask "what kind?". Right now, even if we specifically state that we are offensive or call ourselves Shockadin the community tends to have one of three reactions: WTF, you suck, or why aren't you healing.

Or C) realize "shockadin" both in name and on concept are not supposed to be accepted. It's like a drug addiction

This is your pally *shows egg*
This is shockadin *shows frying pan*
This is your pally on shockadin *smashes egg with frying pan*
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
Also please stop calling it a shockadin.

... I approve of this thread... (I'm currently running Prot to level though...)
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Nope, not at all. I like healing as Holy, healed a raid yesterday, had the time of my life.

I don't like Ret. I never have. I don't like the playstyle, which is completely independent of how good or bad it is at the time.

I DO like the playstyle of a Holy caster. So, I play a Shockadin, because it's my playstyle of choice. That decision is made independently of the viability of either Holy paladin healing, or Retribution dps.

If you want a holy caster, you play holy.

Calling yourself shockadin is like calling yourself by your own racial ethnic slur (if your ethnicity has one). You're only insulting yourself

No this is just part of your long standing and continuing dislike for the term. The "It's actually a slur" angle is a new one I'll give you that.

It does have some value even now. You can say Holy specced and glyphed to emhpasize dps is a shockadin and be making some kind of meaningful distinction. Not as much as when it was a Holy/Ret hybrid, but there's no harm to it.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
No this is just part of your long standing and continuing dislike for the term. The "It's actually a slur" angle is a new one I'll give you that.

No, this is part of my long standing and continuing attempt to educate and teach paladins the truth about this "shockadin" they love and think is cool. You may hate me, but I actually do care for you, and I don't want you to fall astray.

And whether I like or dislike the term doesn't change the term's history of being a negative term, or the fact that paladins who don't know better "take ownership" of the word, failing to realize how self insulting it still is

It does have some value even now. You can say Holy specced and glyphed to emhpasize dps is a shockadin and be making some kind of meaningful distinction. Not as much as when it was a Holy/Ret hybrid, but there's no harm to it.

Of course it has value. A negative, harmful value. There's a value in even heroine or cocaine. Negative, harmful values.

People who don't know better think "fun" to do drugs, and think it's their body so it's ok.

Real life isn't perfect so there may always be drug addicts, but in the virtual game world there's hope, and we can work together to build a better place for everyone, free of "shockaddicts"
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
Or C) realize "shockadin" both in name and on concept are not supposed to be accepted. It's like a drug addiction

You don't want it to be accepted. Don't mistake opinion for the intent of others. You don't know that Blizzard will not make Inquisitors, Exorcists, nay... Shockadins a full on caster DPS.

Its really quite amazing how few people are open minded about Shockadin.

Edit: Furthermore calling us drug addicts for liking the term and the concept is inappropriate, even though you're mostly using it metaphorically. I've been openly discussing Shockadin for a few weeks now on the forums and it seems like everyone attempts to deride us in this way eventually.
Edited by Rabel on 12/3/2010 11:34 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
You don't want it to be accepted. Don't mistake opinion for the intent of others. You don't know that Blizzard will not make Inquisitors, Exorcists, nay... Shockadins a full on caster DPS.

Other way around. It is you who wants "shockadin" to be accepted. There's nothing for me to gain personally if "shockadins" aren't accepted.

I'm not mistaking opinion for the intent of others. I'm not saying anything about other people's intent. I'm not the one who brought up Bliz - you did. And bringing up Bliz will do you no good, since YOU don't know what Bliz will do either.

Its really quite amazing how few people are open minded about Shockadin.

I'm very open minded. Someone without an open mind would just shout LOLSHOCKADINS SUCK and be done with it. If that's what you think my message boils down to, maybe it is you who does not have an open mind

Edit: Furthermore calling us drug addicts for liking the term and the concept is inappropriate, even though you're mostly using it metaphorically. I've been openly discussing Shockadin for a few weeks now on the forums and it seems like everyone attempts to deride us in this way eventually.

That's your opinion. You just don't want to be called a drug addict (see what I mean by how it's the other way around in the beginning of my post?)

And if you have an open mind, you wouldn't think it's inappropriate to liken shockadins to drug addicts ;)

Ok I'm done here. Enjoy your weekend.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
"Shockadin" was the term used way back when. Pally class was missing alot of power and you could take talents to make a viable DPS spec out of a Helaing Class only. Yes Pallies were mainly healers back in the day no matter what spec you went into. Thats why everyone made fun of Pallies. In today's game, yes "shockadin" is not viable for high dps or great healing. But you can do both. Mainly its used for fun. I dont roll one since im waiting for Ret to make a comeback.

Its a PlayStyle, simply put. I agree that it will in no way will be on the top of any chart, but i wont tell anyone how to play a game that they pay for. I will offer suggestions and help as best i can.

One good thing, Shockadin is great for leveling. Medium Damage output with great self heals. Can't go wrong. Keep calling it Shockadin, let's others know that your not going to get high DPS but can heal if needed. So far, in low end content, its actually proven to be better since dps is not balanced for Ret till 85. Or at least thats what ppl keep posting in these forums.
Just my 2 copper, let the flaming commence.

PS: the term Shockadin is still accepted by a larger community than ppl realize. Or did some of you forget that Shockadins were feared on every server.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I've never considered Shockadin to be a derogatory term, like Retnoob, Retardin.

It doesn't have any outside words in it to encourage that sort of bias without prior experience.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]