Paid Class Change

(Locked)

85 Night Elf Druid
Hi all,

I was talking with a fellow guildmember today and he said "Man, I wish Blizzard would allow paid class changes.". I had often thought the same but did not know he did as well. I asked him why and his response was:

"Because I REALLY like playing my priest but all my cool stuff is on my warrior. I just can't leave that character after all the work I did on him but I just do not have fun playing him liek I do my priest."

By "cool stuff" he meant mounts like Ashes of Al'ar, achievements, miscellaneous pets and such. These were also some of my reasons. I REALLY want to make my druid my main character in World of Warcraft: Cataclysm™ but my current main has all my cool stuff like Time-Lost Proto Drake, both Recruit a Friend mounts, Raptor mount from ZG, almost 100 pets and a lot of Feats of Strength. I feel that were I to just make a new character my main, I would have down all that work for nothing. Feelings change, attitudes change. I was curious if anyone else had similar experience/ideas on the matter and furthermore, if Blizzard has made mention of any such thing or just flat out said "No". I feel the technology to just turn your current class into another class is there and wish they would implement it. Charge $30-$50 for the switch, put it on a 6 month to 1 year cooldown (serious choices require serious thoughts).

Anyone help me out here? Anyone feel the same? Have an idea to add?
85 Tauren Paladin
Honestly I like the 'reincarnate' ability (a la DND online) where you can take a capped character, put all his gear into a special bank, and reset your level to one along with picking a new class. The rewards were perma stat buffs, a different frame around your HP bar, and your character actually became taller.

Resetting can only happen once you hit the capped level, and if you reset 20 times, you got a special achievement with MASSIVE stat buffs.

Since leveling is pretty easy in WOW i think this function would be often used, and liked.
90 Draenei Priest
Terrible idea. It is just going to make flavor of the month even worse, which in turn will make the game worse. Level your class form 1-85 and try to learn to play it correctly please.
90 Troll Death Knight
It will happen. Give it time.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Not happening.
What would happen with gear?
85 Undead Priest
We should have the ffxi subclassing system when you can just change "race class specs" at any time but each one of your "personas" starts at lv1 but you get to stay the same character
85 Undead Priest
What would happen with gear?

you obviously wont be able to use lv 85 warriors gear on a lv1 hunter or vice versa
85 Human Priest
One reasonable requirement would be already having a max level character of the class you want to change to.
85 Night Elf Druid
I believe you are not understanding what I am meaning here Univrslheals. This is not an issue of "My class is had so I now I want to play a class that is easier". In fact, my main is a rogue and I play him very well, I just want to make my druid my main. After playing all aspects of a druid, I find that they are basically a rogue that can tank, heal and caster dps as well. It is like 4 alts in 1 and it something that appeals to me.

If you could perhaps tell me exactly why this is a "terrible idea", I would be more than happy to listen and ponder your thoughts..

Also, if we could please keep this somewhat civil. No need for others to beat their ideas into others. I am just looking for some realistic and constructive feedback.

Thanks in advance.
86 Gnome Mage
the leveling process contrary to what some people claim is not there to force you to play longer and therefore pay more money to blizzard, well it is, but it also has another purpose, to teach and familiarize people with all the abilities skills and tactics of a class over time, despite this i still regularly at 80 see terrible players, class change would give these terrible players the ability to add to their regular levels of bad, the bad that comes from not knowing your class, the levels of bad you would see from an e-bayed account, we will call this e-bad.

if you have hundreds of bad characters adding this e-bad to their own normal levels of bad the density of bad would coalesce into a giant clusters of bad, when these clusters of bad reached critical-bad-density they would collapse into super-badssive bad holes that would suck the entire server in forcing everyone to live in and eternal pit of bad.

in short no
100 Draenei Shaman
Honestly I like the 'reincarnate' ability (a la DND online) where you can take a capped character, put all his gear into a special bank, and reset your level to one along with picking a new class. The rewards were perma stat buffs, a different frame around your HP bar, and your character actually became taller.

Resetting can only happen once you hit the capped level, and if you reset 20 times, you got a special achievement with MASSIVE stat buffs.

Since leveling is pretty easy in WOW i think this function would be often used, and liked.

If Blizzard gave measurable stat buffs for a reincarnate, I'd quit. I like to min/max my character, and when confronted with such a massive time investment to do so I just wouldn't play any more. I know this because I quit playing DDO in a serious capacity due entirely to the insurmountable task of leveling 20 times (requiring more XP every time). I played for a couple more weeks with friends in a very casual capacity, but that didn't last long.

But letting you reset to level 1 just to keep achievements, mounts, etc. (no buffs) seems fine. I'm pretty sure that would take a lot of effort on Blizzard's part though, so I'm not sure it's really worth it. I think just making achievements (and mounts for all I care) account-wide is probably easier and just better in general.
85 Night Elf Druid
One reasonable requirement would be already having a max level character of the class you want to change to.

I like this alot. That is something that would be an awesome prerequisite to have.

As for gear, like others have stated, I would not be opposed to having just basic blue gear for the level you are. This class change would not be something that would be done on a whim. This would be for those people that have, like me, played the same class for YEARS, want to play something else but do not want to give up the things they have acquired over the years just to play a class they think is more fun.
45 Orc Warrior
I think this will continue to be something some people want as they accrue more "stuff" in the game and feel attached to said "stuff"

It's just "stuff" guys. Level up an alt and get "stuff" on them instead. It's not that hard.
85 Orc Warrior
Terrible idea. This would never happen until WoW is near the end of it's life time.

And, really, with leveling as easy and streamlined as it is now, there's no reason to not just level a new character. Blizzard will eventually implement(much, MUCH sooner than paid class changes) a feature where achievments, titles, etc., are account-bound making a class change option obsolete.
100 Troll Druid

I wouldn't mind this, minus the stat buffs. That way someone can reroll and keep their achieves and special items.
Edited by Douki on 12/2/2010 9:50 AM PST
32 Undead Hunter
I support this idea as long as the character you change into is level 1, and has no gear.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]