Emotional Attachment

87 Blood Elf Rogue
Pox
If you've played this game for more than three months, you've probably tied yourself to one faction or the other as your favorite. Sure, you might have one or two toons on the other side - I do. But how far should we take these feelings? The Us vs. Them mentality is a powerful lure, but how often do we let that affect our emotions, and ultimately, our actions, both in character and out of character?

I know at least one player on each side who will profess that their side should win the war of Alliance vs. Horde, that their side is in the *right*, with no regard to the good aspects of the other side. These are the people who will post on the forums, whining about how Blizzard likes the other faction more, arguing points even down to race and class mechanics and quest/game content as if it's a given that their faction deserves better and it's unfair that it doesn't get better. These people are, in my opinion, simply sad.

I, personally, am neutral about it, though my characters aren't. In my defense, though, both my Horde and Alliance toons feel either disdain or hate for the opposing faction. How about you?
Edited by Seyrena on 12/1/2010 5:41 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Rogue
Thrall is my leader, he always will be, he says to mend the world we must mend the bond between the races, both factions must work together. Thralls word is my command!
Reply Quote
70 Undead Priest
I only like Horde more, because of the locales and race choices.

But the war? Meh, both sides are rather stubborn and stupid about it. If either side wanted it to end, it would.

My characters tend to be rather indifferent to the war, either exploiting it for profit, or secretly working to finally bring it to an end.
Reply Quote
80 Tauren Druid
Everyone get's into their characters (or the game) at some point, it's why so many are still here, even after 6 years. I know there are a lot of people who really enjoy the lore aspects of the game, and a good bit of story telling, is around especially now that Cata is moving the time line up so to speak. People tend to take pride in their characters/guilds/story lines not only for their achievements but also for the social interactions as a whole for the side they interact with most.

Can people take it "too far"?
Certainly.
For good or ill, people are people no matter what faction they are in, and by human nature things can get pushed too far at times.

Way back in the day before cross realm anything, the community was fairly well defined in both PvE and PvP, I do believe the cross realms took some of this away. However it gave more availability to everyone and not just the few (though some of that is due to mechanics changes). Pros and cons for both.

For me I tended to always side with the lower population side (eg: the underdogs), and for more time then I could count for this server, it was always Horde who held that position. With the advent of so many changes in the game, not to mention paid services, the scale has since changed some. It is one of many reasons I'll be going Worgen come next week.

Forsaken: Death to the Living!
Xovian: Die and be silent Forsaken...
Edited by Xovian on 12/1/2010 6:59 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I serve the the Dark Lady ^_^

Reply Quote
89 Human Priest
I know normally-Alliance folks who try to play Horde and get told to shove off.

I know normally-Horde players who try to come Alliance and get told to go away.

I also know people who play both factions, have a lot of fun at it, and with little to no OOC drama or problems.

Usually, the common denominators are the specific people involved, less than faction, but it's a handy excuse for some to fall back on.

Is there factionalization anyway OOCly? Yes, in RP as much as PvP or PvE. People have their preferences, and tend to get passionate about the story and their favorite characters.

I like story and flavor things on both sides, even if I like playing Alliance more. Tauren is still one of my favorite races even if I can never seem to level one far; I know I'm gonna be sad about Cairne for a long time, as much as Magni.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warlock
Wait, what's happening to Magni?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
He's a rock. Ironforge is ruled by a triumveate of dark iron, bronzebeard, and wildhammer now.
Reply Quote
89 Human Priest
"Your faction leader is now diamonds!"

...Literally. The reason IF was spared the worst of the earthquakes, and following that scene with all the Alliance leaders in SW, was Magni took tablets from Ulduar to perform a ritual to try and stop whatever was happening with those quakes. And "became one with the mountain." He's in Old IF now, hopefully that'll be opened up later to see.

Then his daughter showed up to claim the throne for her son, Varian was silly about trying to control another country's succession until his son told him to knock it off (Anduin is cool, and apparently he and Jaina are buddies with Baine now), and the Council of Three Hammers was set up instead.

Alliance also doesn't have Staghelm anymore (remember the days he counted as co-leader with Tyrande, and the Alliance would let Horde raids kill the druid?), since Malfurion came back and slapped him for being stupid. Leadership changes all around!
Reply Quote
OOC I have no problem with factions. It's the players of the particular factions that I have issues with. Part of the reason I only play Alliance is because the Horde culture doesn't appeal to me; I don't play this game to put up with people who make me want to go postal. It's a game. I play it because I want to enjoy it and take a load off of myself from RL.

ICly, yes, all of my toons hate the Horde because they're either traitors or have done some serious atrocities to the Alliance. They don't buy the "Oh, but I'm not bad!" talk from certain races because guess what, they're still in the Horde and putting up with the Forsaken.
Reply Quote
I find myself learning more about the lore from the forums than ever before. Thanks for that.

It'll be interesting seeing IF being ruled by triumvirate.

-Feisty.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Rogue

ICly, yes, all of my toons hate the Horde because they're either traitors or have done some serious atrocities to the Alliance.

Need i remind you of the atrocities the Alliance has done to the horde, such as enslaving orcs. Both sides have done there evil, it is time to move past that, however that will be hard under the current leadership on BOTH sides, Garrosh being a warmongering raciest, Wyrm being a vengeful bone head who cant get over being enslaved by the horde when he was younger, which might i remind you thrall did get over HIS enslavement by the alliance. There are greater threats to the horde and alliance than each other. However, the war between them is the greatest threat to the fate of Azeroth it self!

As for the Forsaken, they are currently misguided, but how else is a race that can not reproduce by normal means supposed to recover from there losses, remember many forsaken where lost during the uprising lead by Varimathras and Putress on both sides of that Battle. Yes attacking the Alliance wasn't the best way, they should be attacking the twilight's hammer, but in desperate times you make mistakes.

Edited for spelling and grammar.
Edited by Ganomex on 12/2/2010 1:33 PM PST
Reply Quote
70 Undead Priest
There's no excuses for us Forsaken.

We don't want any.

We hate all of you. And you will all die. :)
Reply Quote

ICly, yes, all of my toons hate the Horde because they're either traitors or have done some serious atrocities to the Alliance.

Need i remind you of the atrocities the Alliance has done to the horde, such as enslaving orcs. Both sides have done there evil, it is time to move past that, however that will be hard under the current leadership on BOTH sides, Garrosh being a warmongering raciest, Wyrm being a vengeful bone head who cant get over being enslaved by the horde when he was younger, which might i remind you thrall did get over HIS enslavement by the alliance. There are greater threats to the horde and alliance than each other. However, the war between them is the greatest threat to the fate of Azeroth it self!

As for the Forsaken, they are currently misguided, but how else is a race that can not reproduce by normal means supposed to recover from there losses, remember many forsaken where lost during the uprising lead by Varimathras and Putress on both sides of that Battle. Yes attacking the Alliance wasn't the best way, they should be attacking the twilight's hammer, but in desperate times you make mistakes.

Edited for spelling and grammar.

The Alliance and the Horde are at war. Atrocities will be committed on either side and will be viewed differently as well. Perspectives suck.

However, my toons view killing the Horde as a way to keep their families and kingdoms safe, it's a pretty good reason to fight. So what if we have to fight the Horde and Twilight's Hammer at the same time. We've done it before with a different enemy, see: Northrend.

This game isn't "World of Everybody are Alliescraft". It's World of Warcraft. The factions are there for game play purposes and there will always be a Big Bad to fight.
Reply Quote
Since I'm sure my time is limited on forums cause of my onion post I would like to join into this thread that I've enjoyed reading throughout the day :D

Coming from someone that has been on both sides of the fence more than Rodney Downing Jr has been to rehab I've never had a "loyalty" over one to other, red is dead. Past few months I've spent reading the lore novels, magazines, short stories to better understand the place I've spent so much time devoting my free time over the years. Since my latest move to Tauren I've really been more attached to the development to my faction/race and when I heard The Shattering was out and what it involved with dear dear Cairne I made sure to read it when I had a chance.

Yes Garrosh is an arrogant upstart with a chip on his shoulder but the last few weeks (months/years storywise?) with the rise of Deathwing, the Twilight Cult denying him an honorable fight against Cairne, and Thrall once again letting Garrosh stay as warchief I believe it has helped him mature and listen to his council when dealing with matters.

Wyrm alone would love to wipe out the horde from the face of the planet but with his son and Jaine there to help him they already prevented a civil war among the dwarves and slowly build an alliance with the other clans. No matter what happens between the Horde and Alliance there are many who don't follow the path of war but only when necessary.

Reply Quote
85 Undead Warrior
My main character was a warrior for the Alliance until she fell in battle in Icecrown. Rather than have her corpse be raised as a servant to the Lich King, a Forsaken priest with aid from the Dark Lady helped to raise her as a Forsaken. So now, ICly, she can see both sides. Now that she has returned from Icecrown after service to the Horde, she is not certain she approves of spreading the plague. Out of character, I really like both factions. I chose to faction transfer because my IRL best friend is a guild leader and I wanted to be in her guild. It wasn't a choice of faction itself but the people that I wanted to play with. I can get the same game experience in either faction.
Edited by Aleksondra on 12/3/2010 6:52 PM PST
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Rogue
Pox
12/02/2010 2:10 PMPosted by Cerwys
This game isn't "World of Everybody are Alliescraft". It's World of Warcraft. The factions are there for game play purposes and there will always be a Big Bad to fight.
You make an excellent point here. I certainly do not advocate any sort of official and lasting peace between the Alliance and the Horde. I tip my hat to allies who are cool about stuff - occasionally even in character - but without the alliance and horde dichotomy, the game would be pointless, just another dull grindy MMO like RagnaBR?

BR?

U GIB ZENY
I REPOT U
HUEHUEHEUHEUHEUEHUE
Edited by Seyrena on 12/4/2010 9:58 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
I think that it's safe to say that whether you're alliance or horde, there is one universal fact: Nobody likes Sylvanas and the Forsaken.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]