Ele shaman: Rolling Thunder Overhaul

90 Orc Shaman
Elemental is currently looking pretty good at 85. There are problems, however, with mobility in both PvE and PvP and our defense in PvP.

I propose making the building and managing of Lightning Shield charges into a more important mechanic to the Elemental spec. There would be a new Blizzard UI underneath the character portrait similar to Boomkin's Eclipse meter and Pallies' Holy Power that would help us keep track of charges.

Earthquake would become a baseline ability for all Shaman. It would be replaced by this:

Eye of the Storm: 1/1
When you have 7 or more Lightning Shield charges, you may cast Lightning Bolt and Chain Lightning while moving. For every Lightning Shield charge you have above 3, you take 5% less damage. Stacks up to 6 times.

The first part of this talent would greatly help Ele in both PvE and PvP, which suffers the most of any ranged class when forced to move.

The second part would be a much needed defensive boost for PvP, replacing Astral Shift which was lost in 4.0.1.

It would add another layer of complexity to the class, creating a choice between burst damage via Fulmination and mobility + durability.

It would not be overpowered due to how quickly charges can be removed in PvP.

Another change would be to Thunderstorm, allowing it to grant 6 charges of Lightning Shield in addition to its current effects. This new utility would allow Shamans to immediately throw up a +30% defensive shield and become able to move while still maintaining some dps or immediately cast Fulmination every 45 (35 glyphed) seconds.

A new graphic for Rolling Thunder and Fulmination would also be nice. I'd like to see electricity begin to arc as charges are built, up to the point where at 9 charges, you can barely see the Shaman behind a cloud of lightning. Fulmination should strike the target with a thunderbolt from the sky.

In conclusion, this new mechanic adds to the flavor of Elemental, which should be based around "charging up" and then releasing that energy. It would greatly increase Elemental's pvp durability and counteract problems with PvE mobility – the final step in our evolution from being a glass turret.
Reply Quote
piiiiiiikaaaaaaaaachuuuuuuuuu

i like this actually but it'll never happen
Reply Quote
34 Gnome Rogue
Elemental is currently looking pretty good at 85. There are problems, however, with mobility in both PvE and PvP and our defense in PvP.

I propose making the building and managing of Lightning Shield charges into a more important mechanic to the Elemental spec. There would be a new Blizzard UI underneath the character portrait similar to Boomkin's Eclipse meter and Pallies' Holy Power that would help us keep track of charges.

Earthquake would become a baseline ability for all Shaman. It would be replaced by this:

Eye of the Storm: 1/1
When you have 7 or more Lightning Shield charges, you may cast Lightning Bolt and Chain Lightning while moving. For every Lightning Shield charge you have above 3, you take 5% less damage. Stacks up to 6 times.

The first part of this talent would greatly help Ele in both PvE and PvP, which suffers the most of any ranged class when forced to move.

The second part would be a much needed defensive boost for PvP, replacing Astral Shift which was lost in 4.0.1.

It would add another layer of complexity to the class, creating a choice between burst damage via Fulmination and mobility + durability.

It would not be overpowered due to how quickly charges can be removed in PvP.

Another change would be to Thunderstorm, allowing it to grant 6 charges of Lightning Shield in addition to its current effects. This new utility would allow Shamans to immediately throw up a +30% defensive shield and become able to move while still maintaining some dps or immediately cast Fulmination every 45 (35 glyphed) seconds.

A new graphic for Rolling Thunder and Fulmination would also be nice. I'd like to see electricity begin to arc as charges are built, up to the point where at 9 charges, you can barely see the Shaman behind a cloud of lightning. Fulmination should strike the target with a thunderbolt from the sky.

In conclusion, this new mechanic adds to the flavor of Elemental, which should be based around "charging up" and then releasing that energy. It would greatly increase Elemental's pvp durability and counteract problems with PvE mobility – the final step in our evolution from being a glass turret.

Do you realize that what you have proposed is basically just a massive, massive buff to elemental? One that, given what little I saw in the beta, they probably don't need?
Reply Quote
83 Draenei Shaman
I like it. Very very muchly.
35 seconds might be a bit quick in pvp, but then, it does take up another glyph slot.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
A lot of the stuff you purposed is actually rlly cool, but pretty OP.

For changes like this to take affect the shaman class would have to be overhauled, something blizz has shown zero interest in doing. One can dream though.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
They need to either, via elemental specialization or a talent in elemental, unlink the cooldown on shocks OR remove the cooldown on earth shock.

I don't like the idea of making another defensive gain mutually exclusive to an offensive gain, in this case choosing between defensive benefit from lightning shield charges or extra damage from expending them on fulmination. Shamans have enough of that.
Edited by Orcheon on 12/1/2010 7:02 PM PST
Reply Quote
80 Troll Rogue
For every Lightning Shield charge you have above 3, you take 5% less damage. Stacks up to 6 times.

Id make it above 5, but yea this is a good idea, ele shamans need more defense right now, they are too easy to train.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman

Do you realize that what you have proposed is basically just a massive, massive buff to elemental? One that, given what little I saw in the beta, they probably don't need?

Elemental was quite limited at 85 on the beta. With no spammable instant, elemental has problems keeping pressure applied while being focused. With no defensive cooldowns, elemental has problems living while being focused. This isn't to say that elemental was bad, just that it wasn't fantastic.

Elemental does, and always will do, fantastic damage when nobody is targeting them.
Edited by Orcheon on 12/1/2010 7:08 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman

Ele has been topping charts in sims but in actual fights on the beta with the most raid movement required, Ele has been barely above the tanks.

Finding ways to help Ele's damage while moving won't have any effect on fights where we can already turret.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman

Ele has been topping charts in sims but in actual fights on the beta with the most raid movement required, Ele has been barely above the tanks.

Finding ways to help Ele's damage while moving won't have any effect on fights where we can already turret.

This exactly. Ele does well when allowed to turret. This ability would not make it do any better.

When moving however, this would allow a shaman to cast a reasonable portion of their arsenal (no lava burst or fulmination), which would allow them to be competitive with other dpsers.
Reply Quote
Prolly too much. I would suggest removing the shared c/d of shocks and making FlS spammable much like moonfire.
Reply Quote
There is one problem with ele dps in pve. having to recast flame shock over and over again on a single target gets in the way of using earth shock to consume lightning shield charges with fulmination. this results in spikes in dps than can lower your dps. I'm not entirely sure why bliz thought it was a good idea to make it so lava burst doesnt refresh flame shock anymore but that needs to change because i miss ele dps. Been ele since vanilla but now it sucks in comparison to wrath.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
05/19/2011 02:55 PMPosted by Scaryshaman
There is one problem with ele dps in pve. having to recast flame shock over and over again on a single target gets in the way of using earth shock to consume lightning shield charges with fulmination. this results in spikes in dps than can lower your dps. I'm not entirely sure why bliz thought it was a good idea to make it so lava burst doesnt refresh flame shock anymore but that needs to change because i miss ele dps. Been ele since vanilla but now it sucks in comparison to wrath.

Why did you necro this thread 6 months ago?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]