Are prot pally suppose to use HotR over CS ?

90 Draenei Death Knight
Initially i thought blizz wants Prot pallies to choose HotR for AoE situation and CS for single target, but recently i've notice that HotR hits harder then CS on single target non-glyphed

and when glyph its quite clear that HotR > CS for all situation
Reply Quote
80 Human Paladin
With a fast weapon, HotR will win out. With a slow weapon, CS does higher damage single target.

Plus, you usually have the glyph, and the 2pt10 for another extra 20% damage on HotR, so the numbers get skewed
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
When looking at readouts and comparing parses, don't forget that Crusader Strike also procs seal damage.

Even so, unless you have all 3, the glyph, 2P T10, and a fast weapon, CS will usually be superior even before factoring in extra seal damage.

doing it wrong.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
When looking at readouts and comparing parses, don't forget that Crusader Strike also procs seal damage.

Even so, unless you have all 3, the glyph, 2P T10, and a fast weapon, CS will usually be superior even before factoring in extra seal damage.

doing it wrong.

Orly?
Reply Quote
78 Blood Elf Paladin
also have to take into account (for pvp) that HOTR is (the meaningful bit at least) holy damage and usualy does alot more to anything wearing armor.

personally i dont bother with CS anymore. Its not even on my hotbar at this point =P
Reply Quote
83 Blood Elf Paladin
Look at all the boxes! Yay!
Reply Quote
84 Worgen Druid
CS should hit significantly harder on single targets.
Reply Quote
im also noticing the same, my hotr hits way harder against single target pvp with good gear, i guess its the holy dmg factor since im seeing this against another prot pally pvp.

tried it against a hunter and cs did 5k dmg on crit against the prot pally 900 dmg...

Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
HotR will give you better overall dps if you're fighting more then one mob, for obvisous reasons. Plus it helps threat on all those mobs.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
For PvP it is a no brainer, CS is useless.

1. CS hit's only slightly harder on even a target dummy once you have the glyph. Try it.

2. CS is Physical Damage so in practice it hits weaker against ... pretty much anyone

3. In PvP the likelihood of catching some additional AoE against an additional opponent that gets too close, starts in on you or a pet is pretty high at any given time.

CS is off my bar.
Reply Quote
11 Night Elf Druid
I noticed this while leveling 76-80, even with a slow weapon.
Reply Quote
10 Gnome Rogue
When you get to 85 and your weapon damage has out-scaled your sp, you'll regret moving it off your bars.

Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
I use CS for single targets and Hammer for multiple, Im still leveling though so I like to round up 3 or more mobs at a time, casters can be a pain in the butt though.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
At L80 I use a 2.6 spd tankish weapon. CS still hits harder than HotR.
However, CS scales better with AP, so it should be better when Vengeance is stacked. I haven't checked though.

Like Gidg said, at 85 it will function as you would expect: CS single, HotR multi.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
In my current gear, with an ilvl 232 DPS 2.6speed mace, CS hits for ~1.3k and HotR hits for ~300 physical +~1600 holy on random mobs in icecrown.

I'm guessing CS does better against low armor targets, but that's just pathetic.

Edited by Greyfax on 12/2/2010 1:35 PM PST
Reply Quote
10 Gnome Rogue
In my current gear

which you'll be replacing in a week.
and you didn't factor in vengeance or seal damage.

CS is underpowered with wrath weapons.
CS is balanced for cata weapons.

that's why ret is so underpowered right now.
that's why HotR is beating CS right now.

the set bonus isn't helping any.

oh and with larger health pools come larger vengeance stacks which also tilts things to CS (which scales very well with AP, unlike HotR)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]