Should standing on a hunter be so effective?

90 Dwarf Hunter
Some time ago, we were told that the developers wanted to "resolve what a hunter is supposed to do in melee."

Another time, Ghostcrawler said:
Now long term, something we are going to explore a lot more is just plain juicing up hunter melee capabilities. You've got mail and you've even got some melee weapon strikes. If those were actually scary abilities, then a melee (or caster) class that closes with you risks taking a beating. The hunter could choose to flee or stand and fight. We're not talking about giving hunters a viable melee option (like Survival has flirted with a couple of times). But imagine your melee damage was 80% of your ranged damage. Ranged would always be preferable, but melee would be a decent last resort rather than pretty pathetic (as it is now). I want to stress that this is a long-term change, not something you'll see in the next patch or two, and I'll be the first to suggest that it may not work out. But it is an idea we're discussing.

When I play on another ranged class, like a mage, and I have to kill a hunter, I just stand on the hunter and spam slows and instant attacks. This feels dirty, like I'm doing something I shouldn't be able to.

Shouldn't there be more of a penalty for standing on a hunter than there is? Should it be such a rewarding strategy?
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
For reasons of PvE balance, hunters will never be sufficiently more powerful at range than other ranged classes to make up for how "pathetic" our melee is, though.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
I stand with a hunter in PvP. GW without a shield and they think im just the nub pet : )

They go after the hunter then OMGWTF 2:1 retreat!
Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Druid
In Vanilla, my Raptor Strike crits would hit people for around 3000 damage. This is back when very well geared plate walked around with 4000 HP.

Melee should do significant damage. In Cataclysm, a Hunter is no longer a threat from range. Hunter shots now hit like wet noodles compared to other classes abilities. When my Chimera Shot is critting against clothies for 4000 damage, why am I getting hit by them for 10k damage? Hunter no longer are a threat against casters from range. It's just salt on the wound for casters to get into melee range and nullify the 4000 damage shots that I could be doing at range.

Hunters need a damage boost from range. I know they don't want to throw PvE damage out of whack so I'd suggest buffing the damage on special abilities while nerfing the damage that Auto Shot does. Also Raptor Strike needs to provide roughly 80% of a Hunter's ranged DPS, in melee.

Classes should be dynamic. You should have to vary your strategy based on who your fighting. It's ridiculous for a cloth wearing caster to WANT to be standing in melee with a chain mail wearing, polearm wielding Hunter.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
They also took the 100% crit raptor strike talent out of the survival tree. (good for pvp)

That was our 1 attack we could do. Now we only have wingclip, and that is weaker than a warrior or rogue slow effect =P (the only people we really need to use it on)
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
It's ridiculous for a cloth wearing caster to WANT to be standing in melee with a chain mail wearing, polearm wielding Hunter.

This is pretty much what I'm getting at. Now if we could only get the cloth wearers to admit that it feels ridiculous.
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Death Knight
So hunters should be able to nuke from 50 yards away as well as in melee range?...

Ok np np np np But only if Dks can kite and nuke with deathcoil/Chains of Ice.
Edited by Valkyrii on 12/2/2010 10:08 AM PST
Reply Quote
80 Orc Warlock
Casters have interrupts and silences to deal with and melee have range to deal with. Until a similar weakness becomes available to the masses to deal with hunter damage they must have a deadzone. Disarm is not currently in that category.
Reply Quote
So hunters should be able to nuke from 50 yards away as well as in melee range?...

DKs can kite with Howling Blast.

End of story.
Reply Quote
they are also a meelee class that can hit hard at range.....

Hence my post above.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Priest
This is pretty much what I'm getting at. Now if we could only get the cloth wearers to admit that it feels ridiculous.

Fighting in melee range? Nah, feels pretty natural as an spriest.
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Paladin
I have been opposed to allowing Hunter to use shots while in Melee for Years, their ranged damage was always really good especially their mobile damage and they have always been great kiters in the right hand. However with the switch to focus and the decreases in Mobile damage i think it is about time to remove the restriction for them. If they really do want to keep this flavor than hunters need a powerful melee strike, this way they could alleviate the stupidy of Casters sitting on top of hunters with the hunter unable to do anything about it.

Now this melee attack can't hit for what my TV or a Frost DKs obliterate hits for but it should definitely hit for more than 5k at 85.

I think a powerful strike is the right solution since it solves the issues of Casters sitting on Hunters without any sort of penalty for doing so, while still maintaining the give and go they have with melee.
Reply Quote

Fighting in melee range? Nah, feels pretty natural as an spriest.

Same with Demo Lock! =D
Reply Quote
2 Gnome Rogue

instead u can sit on a hunter with chains of ice and as we run spam deathcoil..... you have powerful meelee but also powerful ranged what is the difference of havign the hunter with reverse rolls?

actually nm this is the most moronic response i have ever read on these forums

Except I have to stay in melee range to develop RP for deathcoils which means I can't kite.

Actually nvm this is the single most moronic huntard on the forums.

6 time Hunter gladiator getting defeated at range by a DK who outheals the pathetic Hunter damage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1lZnYLNUUQ

Hunters can neither nuke from range, nor nuke from melee.
Edited by Spite on 12/2/2010 10:47 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
Casters have interrupts and silences to deal with and melee have range to deal with. Until a similar weakness becomes available to the masses to deal with hunter damage they must have a deadzone. Disarm is not currently in that category.

You would have an excellent point if it was as easy to keep a caster silenced continuously as it is to keep a hunter snared and in melee. If, for example, snares had a diminishing returns category. Or, more to the point, if being in melee range of a hunter had a diminishing returns category.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]