Should standing on a hunter be so effective?

Second, CoI can be "spammed" twice, three times if you activate a cooldown; same goes for Icy touch which uses the same rune as CoI so there's no sense in mentioning it. Gargoyle and Deathcoil are ranged abilities, but Gargoyle is a HUGE rp dump and there's no a dk can spam both of those in the same time period.

But you're getting off topic. The Hunter deadzone is just apart of the class imo. The same as DoT wiping abilities wreck warlocks and juking screws with casts. Its just something you're going to have to get used to if you want to play a hunter.

Sigh, since my post didn't go through.

You can have 12+ gap closers (CoI > Concussive Shot)

We Hunters, blowing every single cooldown we have in our arsenal, can have up to 11.

And during all this time, we'll be getting hurt by your Frost Fever and/or pet, and have no baseline way to deal with that damage.

As for the DoT scrub vs deadzone argument:

Every class except Hunter willingly deadzones a Hunter.

Yet not every class can scrub off DoTs. Yes, they can heal/defend through it to negate the damage somewhat, but it isn't going to last so long unless you're a healer or something. Also, dispels require multiple globals and again, not every class has access to it.

Every class has access to deadzoning a Hunter.

Not every class can completely stop the DoTs.

End of story,

Edit: Forgot about cast juking. Solution is mouse turning. You can completely juke a Steady Shot cast by deadzoning, and no amount of mouse turning fixes that. Can't stop say, a Haunt cast the same way through.
Edited by Interest on 12/2/2010 1:16 PM PST
Reply Quote
88 Human Rogue
Should firing from range on a rogue be so effective?
Reply Quote
80 Orc Warlock

You would have an excellent point if it was as easy to keep a caster silenced continuously as it is to keep a hunter snared and in melee. If, for example, snares had a diminishing returns category. Or, more to the point, if being in melee range of a hunter had a diminishing returns category.

Hunters have been given multiple tools to deal with melee range. It usually requires a team effort to keep any given class or spec on a hunter with the uptime which you indicate. This can be countered by the hunters team. Also the most extreme lockdown a hunter experiences is not really much more than a caster may experience.

You also overlook one extremely important fact. A player deadzoning a hunter prevents or reduces damage to himself. A player locking down a caster prevents damage to everyone.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
yes.

dont like it, move along to another game....

nobody wants a warrior who can also disengage and do the same amount of damage.....

Reply Quote
85 Undead Mage
As long as pushback and interrupts exist.

Yes.

Range has it's drawbacks... Hunters don't cast spells so this is theirs.
Edited by Qbert on 12/2/2010 1:50 PM PST
Reply Quote
You also overlook one extremely important fact. A player deadzoning a hunter prevents or reduces damage to himself. A player locking down a caster prevents damage to everyone.

While this is true, the Hunter will be in a world of pain, and other players can simply LoS the Hunter or deadzone the hunter themselves (might not be the best idea depending on how your and the opponent's comp works).

And keep in mind, this requires the same amount of spells it would to allow a player to run up to a caster. No interrupt required. (You can fakecast as well to juke interrupts by pressing escape. It's really hard to juke-cast a Steady Shot or something on the move while getting continuously deadzoned due to a variety of reasons, and you need to do a combination of strafing, mouse turning, and so on.)

Steady Shot/Cobra Shot would like a word with you. That's our main way to regenerate focus, and it has a cast time that is instantly cancelled if you deadzone the Hunter at any one point in time (even if the Hunter has Aspect of the Fox up and is using it on the move).
Edited by Interest on 12/2/2010 1:53 PM PST
Reply Quote
2 Gnome Rogue

Yes.

Mage mana decreased to 1000. Mages get 40 mana/second, and Frostbolt regenerates 90 mana. Fair?

And on an unrelated note: My dad could flip you with a quarter. Saw him do it multiple times when I was a kid.
Edited by Spite on 12/2/2010 2:15 PM PST
Reply Quote
- World of Warcraft
90 Human Mage
It really depends on how high the shelf is that you're trying to reach.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Hunter

Yes.

Mage mana decreased to 1000. Mages get 40 mana/second, and Frostbolt regenerates 90 mana. Fair?

And on an unrelated note: My dad could flip you with a quarter. Saw him do it multiple times when I was a kid.

From my understanding, mana regen is greatly reduced at 85.
Reply Quote
58 Undead Rogue
"Raptor strike makes the opponent do 20% less damage for 5 seconds"

That good enough for you guys?
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
being in melee of a hunter is not that punishing as it is as it is extremely easy to get instant shots off even with someone in melee range. provided of course you know how to spin jump. if you dont, well learn.

a pillar is 100x more punishing.
Edited by Middboss on 12/2/2010 2:24 PM PST
Reply Quote
2 Troll Warlock
And the individual class roller coasters keep going.

Edited by Renkal on 12/2/2010 2:32 PM PST
Reply Quote
being in melee of a hunter is not that punishing as it is as it is extremely easy to get instant shots off even with someone in melee range. provided of course you know how to spin jump. if you dont, well learn.

a pillar is 100x more punishing.

Steady Shot/Cobra Shot would like a word with you. That's our main way to regenerate focus, and it has a cast time that is instantly cancelled if you deadzone the Hunter at any one point in time (even if the Hunter has Aspect of the Fox up and is using it on the move).

Good luck spin jumping those Steady/Cobra Shots. (Which ultimately translates to more instant shots. And not everyone uses melee attacks in the Hunter deadzone, if you want to try to use the Aspect of the Fox generates focus when attacked argument)

I will agree with the pillars note. But at least you can "channel through pillars". We don't even have Volley anymore to try to hit around them (and sending pets to someone behind a pillar isn't exactly a good idea)
Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Druid
Raptor Strike reduces target's casting speed by 80% for 10 seconds. You think casters would want to get into melee with a Hunter then?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter

You obviously haven't watched the blizzcon vid where the devs pointed out that mages couldn't attack while moving. I wish they weren't able to sweep that topic under the carpet like a bunch of metrosexual looking politicians.

I mean, to be fair, it's hard to argue that anyone has it better than hunters when it comes to mobile damage. We take a minor AP hit but we can still use all of our abilities while moving. No other ranged DPS can do that, and that's probably what Blizz meant.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
I think it's important that classes have weaknesses; that's what makes group play better than solo play. Not only is it more fun to play with other people, but you can group with people that know how to cover for your weaknesses.

Hunters have always been able to do well in group pvp, and I don't see that changing in Cataclysm. Your deadzone should stay.
Reply Quote
I think it's important that classes have weaknesses; that's what makes group play better than solo play. Not only is it more fun to play with other people, but you can group with people that know how to cover for your weaknesses.

Hunters have always been able to do well in group pvp, but any other class can now do it far better and I don't see that changing in Cataclysm. Your deadzone should stay.

Fixed.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
(Reading only the first post and replying)

Should standing AWAY from a rogue be so effective?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]