Should standing on a hunter be so effective?

2 Gnome Rogue
I remember getting blown up in 5 seconds by hunters who had range. So its just natural to sit on the hunter or I die instantly. (And because Ice lance has no min. range lololol)

Said it before, I'll say it again: everything that Mages cried about Hunters being OP in WotLK was taken from Hunters and given to Mages, who no longer think it's OP. Except for those of us who have alt Mages.
Edited by Spite on 12/2/2010 8:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
For a short time, we did have a deterrent to this. Point blank Kill Shot.

It made sense: you'd be a bit concerned, approaching the last 20% of your health, getting right into the face of a trained killer.

Seeing as Kill Shot hits like a wet noodle now, they could bring point blank range for it back without fear of making hunters formidable. Or feared even.
Reply Quote
For a short time, we did have a deterrent to this. Point blank Kill Shot.

It made sense: you'd be a bit concerned, approaching the last 20% of your health, getting right into the face of a trained killer.

Seeing as Kill Shot hits like a wet noodle now, they could bring point blank range for it back without fear of making hunters formidable. Or feared even.

It was sad because I was actually holding my own in PvP with the point blank Kill Shot without being too ludicrously overpowered.

Okay, who am I kidding? It was kinda too powerful lol.
Reply Quote
4 Draenei Priest
Okay, who am I kidding? It was kinda too powerful lol.

Hunter's biggest enemy? --- the huntard.

Huntards are equally responsible for current state of the hunter class as anything else.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
TCS
Haven't experienced PvP at 85, but so far the only thing that happens when I stand on top of a BM hunter is that I continue to get !@%!ed by his enraged spirit-bear :(
Edited by Stupefy on 12/3/2010 5:20 PM PST
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Priest
MGA
2k critics Raptor strikes and 1,5K moongose are scary!
Reply Quote
4 Draenei Priest
Haven't experienced PvP at 85, but so far the only thing that happens when I stand on top of a BM hunter is that I continue to get !@%!ed by his enraged spirit-bear :(

Only terribad mages lose to hunters.
Reply Quote
4 Draenei Priest
2k critics Raptor strikes and 1,5K moongose are scary!

Mongoose doesn't exist anymore and raptor strike is not what it used to be. A priest should be able to kill a hunter with hardly any damage taken at all.
Reply Quote
A Hunter in melee with a pet up should do roughly the same damage as a Hunter from range sans pet.

Hunters in their current form are just hilariously bad right now PVP wise.
Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Druid

I haven't PvP'ed at 85 either. But can you take a guess what your strategy is going to be to kill a Hunter? I'll give you a hint: it's in the thread title.
Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Druid
What's the most pathetic part of Hunter PvP is that there is no change in strategy.

You take any other class and pair them up against different classes and the strategy changes. When it comes to a Hunter, there is ONLY 1 way to fight a Hunter: get into his melee. I'd like to see some risk vs. reward mechanic for getting into Hunter's melee. As a cloth wearer, you should have to think twice about getting into a Hunter's melee.

I suggest making Wing Clip also reduce the attack speed, casting speed, and movement speed of players by 50% for 10 seconds. Hunter's should also get an interrupt that's only usable in melee. This would really make casters think twice about wanting to camp on a Hunter.
Reply Quote
10 Tauren Warrior
Some time ago, we were told that the developers wanted to "resolve what a hunter is supposed to do in melee."

Another time, Ghostcrawler said:
Now long term, something we are going to explore a lot more is just plain juicing up hunter melee capabilities. You've got mail and you've even got some melee weapon strikes. If those were actually scary abilities, then a melee (or caster) class that closes with you risks taking a beating. The hunter could choose to flee or stand and fight. We're not talking about giving hunters a viable melee option (like Survival has flirted with a couple of times). But imagine your melee damage was 80% of your ranged damage. Ranged would always be preferable, but melee would be a decent last resort rather than pretty pathetic (as it is now). I want to stress that this is a long-term change, not something you'll see in the next patch or two, and I'll be the first to suggest that it may not work out. But it is an idea we're discussing.

When I play on another ranged class, like a mage, and I have to kill a hunter, I just stand on the hunter and spam slows and instant attacks. This feels dirty, like I'm doing something I shouldn't be able to.

Shouldn't there be more of a penalty for standing on a hunter than there is? Should it be such a rewarding strategy?

Should you be rewarded for failing to stay in your effective range?

Not so long as I can't melee someone 20+ yards out.
Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Druid
Lets separate damage into 2 categories: melee and range.

Melee stays the same that it is now. And all range classes cannot use their abilities in melee. Mages, Warlocks, Priests, Druids, any ranged damage dealing classes can no longer use their abilities in melee range. This way it will be fair. Then casters won't want to stand in Hunter's melee.

And for those casters who say things like "well what can we do to stop Hunter damage?" I ask you, what do you do when you go up against another caster? Does a Mage run into the melee range of a Warlock or Priest? Casters have found ways to fight against other casters. They should apply those types of strategies against Hunters as well.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
I have a mage, dk, druid, and hunter, and I have to say, hunter burst in PvP appears to be horrible. While hunters can do sustained DPS over time with procs, thus enabling them to pull even on PvE fights that count, other pure DPS classes have a greater ability to frontload their damage. When I play my hunter in PvP, I will often get off less than 9k of damage before getting hit with the first 15k crit.

Also, I'm not certain why people feel hunters should be punished when people stand close. My mage can continue to cast spells when someone is right in front of me. NO other ranged class is punished by closing distance.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
When I play on another ranged class, like a mage, and I have to kill a hunter, I just stand on the hunter and spam slows and instant attacks. This feels dirty, like I'm doing something I shouldn't be able to.

When complaining about casters, don't assume everyone plays a mage.
Reply Quote

\
You're right, Warlocks stand at range and afk after one course of DoTs is on Hunter.

How could he have forgotten!
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter

When, in the text that you quoted, did I assume that everyone plays a mage? I do not believe you can logically make that conclusion given the content of my post. I used a mage as an example, but I could equally well have used a warlock or priest.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
For reasons of PvE balance, hunters will never be sufficiently more powerful at range than other ranged classes to make up for how "pathetic" our melee is, though.

Hunters have historically been one of the most dangerous classes to allow to turret from range, at least in BGs.

Wrong, that's Elemental shaman.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]