Farewell, Icecrown Citadel.

85 Blood Elf Priest
I have just finished clearing ICC in the last raid lockout of the expansion. It's been a trip, and a fun one. I got everything out of ICC that I wanted except for Light of Dawn.

Unfortunately, for what it was at the beginning, ICC deteriorated into the annoying raid of the expansion for me (much like BT was for TBC). It was around too long, and I found myself running it far longer than I wished to.

Anyway, this thread is for general farewells to the instance. It was a good instance, but months upon months of running it (I came off a break to raid it and started in March, so I didn't run it nearly as long as some others did) made it stale.

However, I will slightly miss it. It was an interesting place.

Post your thoughts on ICC here, as it will never be at-level content again.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
We even managed to get our MT his Shadowmourne last night by getting 8 shards off the first 8 bosses of the instance.
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
ICC was visually underwhelming and the music was worse except for Lament in blood wing. I would much rather have had Ulduar last longer and cut ICC time by several months. Over a year of blue-grey empty catwalks made me quite glad to quit the place finally. I didn't feel that way about Kara or ZA back in TBC (except Shade trash, that could diaf)

I sure hope the final raid in Cata is more serious and feels more life threatening than the fights in ICC. While I enjoy whimsical fights, they didn't belong in the expansion's final boss lair.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Priest
The one thing that really bothers me about Icecrown, from an architecture standpoint, is how we reach the Frozen Throne. I mean, you end up clearing the three wings, so you get back to the central room, and... you step though a portal. Now I can excuse this for Naxxaramas, it's an old instance, but two whole expansions later...? Come on! Surely Blizzard could think up something better.

Wouldn't it have been cool if, triggered through entering the Spire room or talking to Jaina, part of the structure near the ceiling collapsed and Valkyrs came through and grabbed us all? Let us gain a bit of height and — while not dropping us! — plug a loading screen that opens on the Frozen Throne. Tadah! Now that's a sweet way for a powerful host to welcome his guests. (Afterward, upon engaging The Lich King, the portal would activate for quicker 'run back'.)

I don't know. I just wished this last part of the Spire was climbed one way or another. =)
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
Ulduar should have lasted longer.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
I had a lot of fun in ICC. I will miss it.

This week I helped out a group of my guilds alts healing H Gunship and H Saurfang.

My best ICC moment other than the first LK kill has to be this:
I have an alt in a guild of all RL friends. These people just started playing less than a year ago and all but 3 of us never raided till a few months ago. A few weeks ago we actually went 5/12 in ICC with 7 people never setting foot in the raid before. The only fight we wiped on was festergut but we got it down the 2nd try. We would have gone 6-7/12 but a few people had to log due to work. My friends were so happy they were able to get to see the content.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
No raid in existence could hold my attention for an entire year, certainly not ICC. After killing the LK for the first time to get to the "Congratulations, now you can run slightly tweaked versions of the fights you have already beaten and gotten sick of for the next 7 months!" I raided another week or two then got quit till Cata.

In short, the only raid of ICC I will actually miss is pre-nerf Ulduar.
Reply Quote
45 Draenei Mage
ICC was visually underwhelming and the music was worse except for Lament in blood wing. I would much rather have had Ulduar last longer and cut ICC time by several months. Over a year of blue-grey empty catwalks made me quite glad to quit the place finally. I didn't feel that way about Kara or ZA back in TBC (except Shade trash, that could diaf)

I sure hope the final raid in Cata is more serious and feels more life threatening than the fights in ICC. While I enjoy whimsical fights, they didn't belong in the expansion's final boss lair.

I don't know about the music, I loved the music that played during the Gunship Battle. The rest of the time, I was too busy healing stupid to notice it. My fault for only going on trade PuGs. O.o
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
I hope posts like this don't let Blizzard think it's okay to leave current content untouched for a year (almost to the day). Ruby Sanctum wasn't even close to a legit stopgap.

8 months in BT was pushing it. 12 months in ICC is "cancel, wait for expansion."
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warrior
A rather dull end to the expansion, I wanted to ascend Icecrown Glacier itself, not teleport like a mage from one room to the next. Ulduar was the pinnacle of this expansion, and ToC was just saddening.
Reply Quote
80 Gnome Warrior
I'd happily trade heroic LK for a shot at zero-light in Ulduar gear. Never got that opportunity. It just meant so much more when instead of getting MORE buffs to defeat a difficult encounter, you had your buffs stripped and still had to do it and it actually meant something. Maybe if Heroic LK were tuned properly for normal people, and a title / mount were given for defeating it, that could have been the highlight of the expansion. Instead it was "wait for the buff to scale high enough for our raid to have mathematically enough time to defeat the encounter." Pretty anti-climactic.

I just don't understand how Ulduar could have been such a good instance and then we get TOC and ICC. Makes no sense. Aren't things supposed to be improving, not devolving?
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
I won't miss it. I kinda miss Ulduar, though.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
Ulduar wasn't that much better than ICC. The level of articulation in the visuals was about the same (though Uld had more aesthetic variety in its various wings), and the complexity of bosses was about the same on both reg/hm settings.

It had a different feel, and I'll admit I enjoyed it more than ICC due to the shift in atmosphere from the Spark of Imagination to Yogg's Brain room. And the hardmode activation then, which they had to stop due to running out of creative gameplay activations, was cool.

But at the end of the day, I'd have been as burnt out on Ulduar as I am now of ICC had Ulduar been out as long. So many folks, myself included, liked it more. But it wasn't that much better, the real dominant factor for folks' Ulduar fondness was that it wasn't out long enough to make you want to rip your own face off with your bare hands every time you see it. From a purely technical standpoint, the two are very very similar in their levels of mechanical complexity and challenge.

If you're really trying to be objective, and you're discounting how long each was out, they were both awesome instances. They both showed why this game is on top of MMOs and why it's been able to hold competitors at bay for so many years.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I never really got tired of ICC. It was fun, but I wish the instance had a little more closure for the major characters .You have Muradin, who has "a score to settle with Arthas" but doesn't settle it after the Gunship. Jaina clearly had a vested interest in Arthas, but is no where to be seen after Gunship....what about their stories?

One thing I won't miss is Unchained Magic. That NEVER needs to be used as a mechanic again.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
One thing I won't miss is Unchained Magic. That NEVER needs to be used as a mechanic again.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]