Playing WoW through a VPN

I live in Costa Rica, and my internet connection has some very weird problems. For example, yesterday I couldn't connect to certain sites, like battle.net or gizmodo.com. Also, I couldn't connect to WoW or SC2. However, I could access google, youtube and a lot of other sites. Pretty weird stuff.

I thought that maybe the problem was with the DNS server, but entering the us.battle.net ip address directly didn't help.

Having this problem, I had the great idea to install a VPN, Hotspot Shield. After I installed it, I could access the battle.net site again perfectly. My question is,

Is there a problem for playing WoW or SC2 through a VPN? Like prohibited in the EULA or something like that?
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
It isn't prohibited, but it also isn't supported. You'll appear to be jumping all around the planet and your account could be locked. You would need to find one location to log in from and then stick to it and always use it. That isn't a guarantee that your account won't be locked, just a way to lessen the odds.
Reply Quote
Ah ok. Yeah, when I tried to log in, the game asked me to change my password. I can deal with that, if the alternative is not playing at all D:
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
I'd be careful using HSS for WoW, since it gives you a new IP each time you start it, which means that you might appear to not only be jumping between costa rica and the US, but also jumping all over the US.

And that might, in turn, flag you for account sharing. So I'd advice you to be careful with it.
Reply Quote
But my ISP gives me a new ip every time I connect anyway...
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warlock
But my ISP gives me a new ip every time I connect anyway...

Yes but this IP you get is inside one of their netblocks that has a specific range (C class?) and location.
If your connecting from 10.2.2.xxx where xxx jumps around, that netblock belongs to your local isp and its irrelevant as your location isnt changing.

I am not aware of this "Hotspot shield" but it seems you've been warned above against it regardless as you will likely be flagged for account sharing.
Reply Quote
Getting flagged for account sharing is an inconvenience, like having to call support, or do I lose my account completely?
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
Frequent password resets is what normally happens. It's not necessarily account sharing that it flags you for, it flags you as logging in from a location you normally wouldn't be. Since your billing address says Costa Rica, if your VPN routed you through Canada, that should trigger an alert in the system that you are out of your normal range. That's just a random example. It's caused password resets with people logging in 5 miles from their homes and for others, they have had no issues.
Reply Quote
Ah ok, I can deal with the inconvenience of passwords resets. I was worried about being banned or something.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]