tremor totem troubles

85 Tauren Shaman
say that five times fast

anyways... so latly i'v been ending up in Sethekk Halls via the random dungeon finder, there is an area where people get feared or something similar, every time i have done this run i get yelled at for not having my tremor totem down when it quite clearly is down yet myself and the rest of the team still end up running around in odd directions, can anyone tell me whats up with that please?

cheers

-Loh
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
It's not a continuous effect. Every few seconds, tremor totem casts a fear/sleep/charm removal spell on any groupmates that are within its range at that time. These casts are more commonly referred to as pulses. If the fear causes you to run out of range of the totem before the next pulse occurs, that's just tough luck. Welcome to the wonderful world of tremor totem, lol.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
yah, it happens. shouldn't happen every time though. not sure how much sampling you've had with it, but i find it works "as intended"....
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
I recently started playing a shaman after years of priest/pally healing. When I encounter "tremor totem" situations I put it down as expected but I find I still anticipate the fears and what not as if I were on my priest.

I try to stand farther back behind the group, if possible, in the hopes of ranging the fears. And I still sit on my dispel key in case the totem doesn't pulse quickly enough.

I guess I can't help it but I look at tremor totem to be more of a backup then something to rely on.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
The best advice anyone can tell you is.

Drop tremor on the tanks big toe. Or at least as close to melee as you can safely get it.

As a side note. I have noticed mobs actually taking out the totem. So be ready to drop it again if it gets whacked. In my experience, it gets the mobs attention just after a pulse that broke an effect. My guess is the totem pulls aggro due to the group being incapacitated(feared) and the totem pulsing, giving the mob the fraction of a second to attack it before the tank becomes active again. I have been trying to see if placing it just out of melee range will decrease the chances of those stars aligning. This is rare, but happens when the totem is mixing it up with melee.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
The mobs in SH you are talking about just need to be pulled properly.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
agreed waffletime, i'v run it probably 4 times now and have found it to be one of the hardest purely because the tank grabs to many mobs and can't hold agro, almost always have one of the dps die and i take way to much damage on that run. at least i figured out to hide behind the pillar from the boss when he does that area attack.

thank you for your answers, i thought it might be a pulse type effect like most of the other totems. will try put it closer to melee from now on and tell them to stop running around, cheers.
Edited by Lohhanu on 12/2/2010 12:20 PM PST
Reply Quote
They changed them to work properly a while ago. But then reverted to the delayed first pulse then every 3 seconds.

Its the delayed pulse that usually causes it to 'fail' so that you are feared out of range of it by time it pulses again.

Just tell them tremor is down and working as intended 'aka rarely when you really need it to' - but its been like that forever before and after the minor fix the revert so most of us are used to its clunky mechanics
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
If it's not insta fears, and you can click heal, I kee the fearing mob targeted and drop the totem as soon as I see the casting bar pop (have a stopcasting + TT macro).
Mostly a 1.5 to 3s cast on most mobs, which means if you're quick you normally get the first pulse about 1 to 1.5s into the fear, which is usually not enough for the group to run OOR of the totem.
If they have insta fears, I just drop it as soon as I enter combat.

You can't rely on it too much though, it's useful but not a guaranteed save.
If it's such a huge issue tell the tank to equip is pvp trinket, and if he doesn't have one, tell him to get one ;)
Edited by Hoofnpuff on 12/2/2010 6:02 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
I usually do an emote like HUG my tremor totem to let people know when they do say something about my tremor not being down to scroll up and stop complaining. That or drop tremor away from your group of totems. It means, hey, I KNEW the fear was here so I dropped this NEAR you to let you know that I CARE.

Waka Waka. If they don't understand that, you can always link tremor totem into party chat and explain it's mechanics if they can't read.

P.S Like stated before Mobs are starting to kill tremor totem off the bat, make sure, *just in case* it's down again after the tank handles the group.

Edited by Mafiastyle on 12/2/2010 8:17 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
I have to say, I can't find a sarcastic remark or "lol l2play noob" in this thread. I am shocked. Thanks to everyone who replied, and those who chose not to :D

I probably just jinxed it but the OP got his answer.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Shaman
Ahhhh tremor totem how you never work when you need to
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Too bad there's no Polymorph Totem for PvP... poor mages would be as broken as warlocks maybe some priests who don't know how to use Shadow Word:Death to kill it.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
One time, I got mind controlled into attacking and killing my own tremor totem. Those people who QQ just don't understand how the totem works.
Reply Quote
Ah, I loved when I dropped it pre-pull and then got yelled for not having it down.

I suggest making a macro to place a raid target icon on top of it so that people know it's down. :p

Or maybe an annoying macro like "/p Tremor Totem is down! Be not afraid!" if you don't mind the risk of getting booted for having an annoying macro. :D
Edited by Viria on 12/8/2010 3:56 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]