Pure DPS = Hybrid DPS + 5%?

Does this approximate philosophy still hold true for Cataclysm? If we operate under the assumption that skill / gear are the same, of course. ;)

Thanks in advance,
Totimmy
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
In theory =/= In practice

Moo
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Does this approximate philosophy still hold true for Cataclysm? If we operate under the assumption that skill / gear are the same, of course. ;)

Thanks in advance,
Totimmy

Yes. However, it's impossible to truly gauge. There are far too many variables, procs, latency, human error, etc. to truly measure it. But in theory, yes, pure's will always out-DPS hybrids on a target dummy.
Reply Quote
I think Hybrid Tax is dead.

Deserves to be, tbh.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
The sooner you people realize that the Hybrid tax doesn't exist, the sooner we can get back to worrying about individual class issues. I really could care less if I'm getting beat by a Warrior on a cleave fight. I care about the issues my class has in general.

Hybrid tax ... let it go, it doesn't exist.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flogging_a_dead_horse
Reply Quote
GC stated himself that the hybrid tax isn't going away in cataclysm.

PS - The developers have never stated a hard number (5%), that was made up by players.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
at 15,000dps, a 5% difference would be a marginal 750dps, which is easily surpassed by player skill/gear level.

Personally I think its been lip service the entire time to placate pures.
Reply Quote
I appreciate the input from everyone. My hope is that we can get a blue response on the subject, or at least a link to a blue discussion on it. I haven't seen any posts to refute the post made some years ago from Blizzard that stated they did intend to have 'pure' dps classes pull ahead slightly compared to their hybrid counterparts.

My intention is to discover what their advertised philosophy is, not necessarily what reality is. We can all agree that often those aren't statistically aligned.

Thanks!
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
There's never going to be an accurate gauge of equal gear and skill. Different fight mechanics affect different specs differently. RNG droprates on gear affect how well someone is geared. And, well, people are rarely on equal footing in terms of skill and computer performance.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
Hybrid tax has never existed in wrath.
Reply Quote
87 Draenei Shaman
Why should a hybrid be taxed at all? Anyone who thinks just because they can only be dps, that they should pull bigger numbers, are complete idiots. Druid and Paladins' dps specs should be on par with all dps specs, its unfair to tax them because they have multiple roles, but choose to dps. Why would raids bring a ret paladin or feral druid at all, knowing they wont be able to perform as say a rogue or mage in equal gear/skill? So please, get over it, and stop holding your hand out.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Why should a hybrid be taxed at all? Anyone who thinks just because they can only be dps, that they should pull bigger numbers, are complete idiots. Druid and Paladins' dps specs should be on par with all dps specs, its unfair to tax them because they have multiple roles, but choose to dps. Why would raids bring a ret paladin or feral druid at all, knowing they wont be able to perform as say a rogue or mage in equal gear/skill? So please, get over it, and stop holding your hand out.

Pleaaaase let the poor dead horse rest in peace.
Reply Quote
Again, thanks everyone for your comments.

This character has not been my main raider for a long time. I've raided end game content on my rogue mostly, but I've also experienced it with my lock, paladin, and hunter.

The impetus behind the creation of this thread is to discover what Blizzard's philosophy is 'from the horses' mouth, so to speak. If anyone can point me in the direction of any posts GC has made recently regarding the topic, or if GC himself would be so kind to comment, it'd be much appreciated.

Not that I don't trust what each and every one of you post... =)
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman

Thanks in advance,
Totimmy

It does.. but in an effort to clarify, there is no specific %.

5% has never been officially endorsed - it's player-created.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
The sooner you people realize that the Hybrid tax doesn't exist, the sooner we can get back to worrying about individual class issues. I really could care less if I'm getting beat by a Warrior on a cleave fight. I care about the issues my class has in general.

Hybrid tax ... let it go, it doesn't exist.

Depends on if most fights are cleave fights.

Even though heroics don't really matter, it gets old seeing those AoE gods at the top of the meters all the time. Before you say, "heroics don't matter" - actually, yes they do - they are the place each player spends the most time on a day to day basis.

I want a balance. For every cleave boss - I want a boss that isn't a cleave, so those other classes have a chance to show they aren't worthless.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid

The option to switch roles to tanking or healing cannot be ignored. It doesn't matter if you, personally, never switch. It doesn't matter if you don't change in this raid or for the next 3 months of raids - just having the option to change does represent value that has to be weighed in the equation.

Especially in a game where achievements, mounts, and companion pets are bound to characters and not player accounts.
Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Druid
Obligatory plea to stop harming deceased equines:

Just stopped by to let everyone know that this dead horse is still dead. It hasn't had a pulse in at least a year, stopped twitching a few weeks later, vultures have carried off the meat to feed their young ones, (which have now grown & are feeding their own young with meat from the Mage threads). All that remains at this point is a bleached skeleton scattered across the landscape by the winds of fate. Must we continually desecrate its remains?

Edited by Nasmira on 12/2/2010 11:57 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]