Fire/Frost/Arcane in SoO - Specs for Fights?

100 Undead Mage
I just got my 4pc, and I think I've got the gear to make Arcane and Fire viable options instead of just Frost.

1. Do I actually have enough gear for Arcane/Fire

2. On what fights do certain specs do better?

My guild is planning on breaking into heroics, so any advice on those would be great too.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warrior
On paper Arcane is the highest dps but rune of power makes learning the fights a bit harder - especially if you have a movement heavy role. Between fire and frost which spec to play really boils down to which one you enjoy playing and are better with as well as what your raid needs more help in: utility or dps. Fire performs slightly higher dps than frost (theyre pretty close) but frosts on demand deep freeze helps greatly on a ton of fights if your raid is struggling with stuns/snares.
Reply Quote
1 Human Warrior
I'd like to know how you're playing WoW while blind... jesus christ that mog
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
play frost. tracking invoker's and lance weaving is much easier than tracking all of the things for arcane. It allows you to focus on the fight mechanics rather than worrying about stacks and standing in rune.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Mage
Fire pulls more dps than Frost around 560+ ilvl depending on your gear. You have the gear to go fire although I would suggest switching your toxic totem for black blood. If you can learn Fire before going into heroics you would be better off. I plan to go Fire when I have the free time outside of raid schedule. Most people who play Frost play it because they lack the skill to manage Fire or because they hate playing Arcane because well Arcane is incredibly boring. People say they play Frost because of utility but if you're playing it beyond around 560ilvl and you have the gear to play Fire better it's usually because you lack the skill to manage anything beyond spamming FB, Icelance, and FFB.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
managing fire means using combust at a high ignite... people play frost because yes it is easier, but it is more consistent. When you move into heroics, you will want to feel comfortable so you can focus on the fights. Fire isn't insane high dps like everyone talks about, frost is right up there as well.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
learning heroics is not the time to learn a new spec as well stick with frost for now imo, oh, except the numbers you can get on H immers with arcane are silly op
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warrior
03/08/2014 10:27 AMPosted by Mych
People say they play Frost because of utility but if you're playing it beyond around 560ilvl and you have the gear to play Fire better it's usually because you lack the skill to manage anything beyond spamming FB, Icelance, and FFB.

I play frost at a 578 ilvl. I am 14/14H with top 20 parses. Youre saying I lack skill?

The difference between frost and fires dps is negligible. You can have whatever personal opinion you want about skill and specs but dont make sensationalist claims unless youre going to back them up with at least some form of data.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Mage
03/08/2014 03:02 PMPosted by Araithia
except the numbers you can get on H immers with arcane are silly op

It seems like H Immerseus would be awful for Arcane, due to constant repositioning mucking up Rune of Power. What makes Arcane strong on H Immerseus?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
03/08/2014 10:27 AMPosted by Mych
Fire pulls more dps than Frost around 560+ ilvl depending on your gear. You have the gear to go fire although I would suggest switching your toxic totem for black blood. If you can learn Fire before going into heroics you would be better off. I plan to go Fire when I have the free time outside of raid schedule. Most people who play Frost play it because they lack the skill to manage Fire or because they hate playing Arcane because well Arcane is incredibly boring. People say they play Frost because of utility but if you're playing it beyond around 560ilvl and you have the gear to play Fire better it's usually because you lack the skill to manage anything beyond spamming FB, Icelance, and FFB.

To be honest you shouldn't choose what spec to play as mage based off of "what everyone else plays". You should select you spec based off of what you are comfortable with. I am beginning my progression into heroic SoO and am already parsing around the 200's for mages. I literally just started raiding again after several wowless months. Frost is easier to play and it's a lot more fun. Plus I really like having a pet following me around. Unless you plan on applying to a top 100 guild then play whatever you enjoy. No matter what mage spec you choose, if you execute it correctly you will be competitive in your raid group as a top dps.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]