Healers weak in pvp now?

100 Dwarf Priest
At someone's urging, I joined wintergrasp and tried some pvp. I haven't done much pvp in a while, and my pvp gear isn't the best, I only have 1.1k resilience, but still you would think it would provide some protection - apparently not. The incoming damage from dps in gear not much better than mine was overwhelming. I could barely heal through even one dps attacking me, a single CC effect and I'd die instantly. It seems the tide really has turned against healers in pvp.
Edited by Cullodina on 12/2/2010 1:21 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
You are in a better state if you PVP as holy. Disc is in a pretty miserable state in battlegrounds at the moment. Stay with the pack or hide in bushes & ambush them one at a time. Get a bit sneaky & you can do it.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Priest
Your spec lacks Focused Will and Improved Inner Fire, and the "average" amount of resilience these days is about 1400. So, worst case scenario, you were missing out on about 28% damage reduction. =[
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Priest
Your spec lacks Focused Will and Improved Inner Fire, and the "average" amount of resilience these days is about 1400. So, worst case scenario, you were missing out on about 28% damage reduction. =[

I see what you mean - the pvp talents provide about 14% damage reduction. The additional 300 resilience provides about 14% damage reduction, so 28% total. But still - the amount of incoming damage was so great I doubt even this would have made much difference.
Edited by Cullodina on 12/2/2010 1:58 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
It does, you can't really compare pvping as a pve spec to with a pvp one with appropriate glyphs. It's a very large difference - at least for disc.

If anything healers are too strong in the 80 with 85 talents transition period now. Priests probably have the worst survivability of the healers currently, but all of this will be irrelevant in a few days anyway.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Priest
I see what you mean - the pvp talents provide about 14% damage reduction. The additional 300 resilience provides about 14% damage reduction, so 28% total. But still - the amount of incoming damage was so great I doubt even this would have made much difference.

To put that in perspective, you can think of that difference of almost being equivalent to being under Power Word: Barrier at all times. =)

But it is important, especially as a Priest, to try to stay ahead of incoming damage, which can mean keeping yourself Shielded, and even Renewed and Mended before enemies actually start attacking you.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Priest
Pre-4.0 I used to be able to do casual pvp, a battleground or wintergrasp, in a pve spec and mostly pve gear, and heal myself through two dps attacking at once fairly easily. No more I guess - it looks like healers were nerfed a bit and dps buffed a bit, or something.

But anyhow I respecced and took points out of Evangelism etc. and put them in Focused Will and Inner Sanctum. Against my expectations, this seems to make a big improvement in pvp surviveability. I'll keep those talents - they have some use in pve, and smite healing in mostly a gimmick tbh.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]